Home

Tim Tebow = Steve McNair...?

This is a discussion on Tim Tebow = Steve McNair...? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 02:25 PM   #49
Gatekeeper

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: Tim Tebow = Steve McNair...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
Do the people saying these things watch Tebow at all in 4 years, or are they just repeating stuff they hear on ESPN?
That's my question.

Obviously there are question marks, and it's really hit or miss as to how he will translate at the NFL. But honestly you can say that about any QB in this draft in particular. There are no sure fire prospects at that position in this draft. But people saying he can't throw, and that he was a run only QB on par with Eric Crouch, I just don't know where they are coming up with this.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #50
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcatch22
If he was so good why are teams asking him to change his throwing mechanics. I mean his basic throwing style had to be changed for anyone to take him seriously and to think he had all these great numbers in college.

What does that tell you. He had to change something that was successful for quite some time for teams to even think about being taking him seriously at QB on the next level. That alone tells you his college accomplishments meant nothing to those looking at him for the future.
It tells me they think he's worth working with. If they didn't think he could pass, they wouldn't ask him to do squat. They wouldn't spend time working with him, and they would move onto something else.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #51
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
2. They were both primarily running quaterbacks who were poor throwers. Tebow was aided by playing with talented receivers in a QB friendly system. Their skill sets are not that different. I know people can't except the truth but just cause you had a great college career does not equate to great pro career no matter how hard he can put the effort. Some people just got it! and some don't.
Did you ever watch either Tebow or Crouch?

There is absolutely nothing similar about.

Tebow wasn't a poor thrower. He's not ready to be a drop back passer in the NFL, but he's finished in the top four of passer rating nationally every year he's started. Crouch was an abysmal passer in every way. Obviously Tebow had better offensive talent around him, but as stated, he also played against much better talent and coaches.

Both Tebow and Crouch could run, but their running styles weren't remotely similar. Tebow is a tank who is used in short yardage and only really breaks away when defenses sell out. Crouch was much quicker and was far more agile than Tebow could ever hope to be.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #52
Banned

OVR: 32

Have there ever been a qb that been successful after they change his throwing mechanics?
Old 04-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #53
Gatekeeper

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
If he was so good why are teams asking him to change his throwing mechanics. I mean his basic throwing style had to be changed for anyone to take him seriously and to think he had all these great numbers in college.

What does that tell you. He had to change something that was successful for teams to even think about being taken seriously at QB at the next level. That alone tells you his college accomplishments meant nothing to those looking at him for the future in the NFL.
It tells you, he had a hitch in his delivery. You're confusing mechanics with talent. Talent is god given either you have it or you don't. He has some talent.

Mechanics are taught and can be fixed. There are a TON of QB"s who have become successful at the next level who had mechanical issues heading in to college that either fixed them and became successful or became successful in the NFL despite the flaws in their delivery.

Just because he has a hitch in his delivery doesn't mean he can't fix it and doesn't mean he can't be a NFL QB.

Phillip Rivers for example faced the EXACT same criticism going in to the draft. There were questions on Drew Brees delivery going in to the draft (which is why he lasted until the 2nd round). Kerry Collins had similiar questions, so did Donovan McNabb. The list goes on.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #54
Gatekeeper

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
Have there ever been a qb that been successful after they change his throwing mechanics?
QB's change their mechanics coming out of college all the time. Aaron Rodgers is another prime example. Just depends on now drastic the change is.

In some cases the QB's simply are successful despite their mechanics. Imo, at times the whole mechanics thing is overrated.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #55
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

One last thought....Chris Leak was a better passer every day of the week than Tebow was and 5x's on Sundays. If he wasn't 5' 9 on a good day he would be in the NFL right now.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2010, 02:32 PM   #56
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
It tells you, he had a hitch in his delivery. You're confusing mechanics with talent. Talent is god given either you have it or you don't. He has some talent.

Mechanics are taught and can be fixed. There are a TON of QB"s who have become successful at the next level who had mechanical issues heading in to college that either fixed them and became successful or became successful in the NFL despite the flaws in their delivery.

Just because he has a hitch in his delivery doesn't mean he can't fix it and doesn't mean he can't be a NFL QB.

Phillip Rivers for example faced the EXACT same criticism going in to the draft. There were questions on Drew Brees delivery going in to the draft (which is why he lasted until the 2nd round). Kerry Collins had similiar questions, so did Donovan McNabb. The list goes on.

Are you kidding me none of those guys had the same horrible throwing motion Tebow had at all. Now your just making things up using the best QB's to justify Tebow's success.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »