Home

So, why was Vince Young a 1st round prospect, and Tebow is a 4th-5th?

This is a discussion on So, why was Vince Young a 1st round prospect, and Tebow is a 4th-5th? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-03-2010, 01:29 AM   #9
Banned

OKAY OKAY's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: So, why was Vince Young a 1st round prospect, and Tebow is a 4th-5th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade44
Your perspective is that people ( the media) expected VY to be a successful NFL QB, and those same people rated Tebow as a 4-5th rd talent. Where is my perspective skewed? Your question was why.

Do we really need another VY thread here at OS? I mean threads say hes good, dont end up well. threads say hes bad dont end up well. Threads comparinf him to vick dont end up well. This thread prob wont end up well.

Bottom line is that VY single handedly dominated USC in the title game, his stock was high. Nearly everyone said " he's prob going to suck as a qb from the pocket but his legs will win you some games". Those same people dont expect that from tebow. end of the story. what else do you want to know?
I didn't know that there is a bad VY vibe here at OS. But I really don't care - either.

No, not nearly everyone said that. But that's far from the point - so let's get to the original question you seem to have trouble understanding.

It was RARE that anyone contested VY as an NFL QB (forget good, bad, WHATEVER). So I can pretty much state that as, NO ONE really contested VY as a future successful NFL QB. It was said by all the main media outlets

Now, with Tebow - the GENERAL VIBE from people OTHER than Tebow fans is that, WILL HE BE AN NFL QB?

There is a HUGE discrepancy between the two, it's not a little, it's a lot, that's why I bring up the question.

Go look up some mock drafts in 2006 - VY WAS A TOP 10 PICK IS MOST, IF NOT, ALL OF THEM. Where were YOU in 2006?
Old 05-03-2010, 01:35 AM   #10
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

OVR: 28

1. Timing

2. Their releases. Young's release is angled but very quick. Tebow's is slow and deliberate. Tebow's slow release is probably the #1 question about him.

3. Their running ability. Tebow is a bruiser fullback type of runner. Young is an athletic wide receiver type of runner, like Randal Cunningham was. Tebow is more elusive than most give him credit for but he's not as elusive as VY

4. Their size. Tebow is tall enough at 6'2, but Young is taller at 6'5. Im not saying that makes a huge difference between the two but scouts love height in QBs. If a QB is 6'4 or taller, that height will automatically add to their draft stock.

------------

There are probably a few more but those are the main ones imo. I dont know if this needed it's own thread with the other Tebow thread, but this was a good question because they are pretty similar players imo.

Last edited by ZB9; 05-03-2010 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:38 AM   #11
Banned

OKAY OKAY's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB9
1. Timing

2. Their releases. Young's is angled but quick. Tebow's is slow and deliberate. Tebow's slow release is probably the #1 question about him.

3. Their running ability. Tebow is a bruiser fullback type of runner. Young is an athletic wide receiver type of runner, like Randal Cunningham was. Tebow is more elusive than most give him credit for but he's not as elusive as VY

4. Their size. Tebow is tall enough at 6'2, but Young is taller at 6'5

there are probably a few more but those are the main ones imo
Tebow is 6'3.

Both their releases were issues coming out of college. VY's is obviously much more compact, however his arm strength was a glaring issue (velocity).

does this really compute to, VY = a 1st round pick, Tebow = MAYBE an NFL QB?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2010, 01:45 AM   #12
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31

You're continuing to ignore the "Vick effect"

It's been said numerous times that VY had some special scrambling/running ability.

If anything, GM's knew fans would eat that up. These two factors don't make it that unbelievable that Tebow's stock was never as high as Young's.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:47 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

I think the OP is asking a great question and I don't think anyone here can accurately answer it. ZB9 covered the main points, but I'm not sure if even that can answer the huge discrepancy between the two. The only answer I can come up with is, well, VY was overrated coming out of College. Tebow's projection was fair IMO. VY's, taking a look back on it, was not. Maybe it was because Vick was having so much success in the NFL, I don't know. I'd love to hear a scouts analysis on this subject.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 05-03-2010, 01:50 AM   #14
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan
You're continuing to ignore the "Vick effect"

It's been said numerous times that VY had some special scrambling/running ability.

If anything, GM's knew fans would eat that up. These two factors don't make it that unbelievable that Tebow's stock was never as high as Young's.

Not only that, but also the Team(s) that needed a QB when both of these guys were drafted. Tenneessee was looking to replace a mobile QB and had the 3rd pick, Houston was at #1 and VY is a legend in texas and like I said dude dominated in the Rose bowl months prior so he had a whole storyline going.

The OP was exaggerating Tebows stock as there was plenty of speculation about 1st round suitors, namely the Jags with the Florida connection which was similar to VY's texas connection.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:52 AM   #15
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKAY OKAY
Tebow is 6'3.
im saying that Young is taller

im not saying that makes a big difference, just that scouts love 6'5 QBs. If a QB is 6'4 or taller, that seems to add to their draft stock

Quote:
Both their releases were issues coming out of college. VY's is obviously much more compact,
Young's release angle was a question (whether he will get balls knocked down at the LOS). However, his release is extremely quick.

Tebow's release is slow. Although he reportedly showed that he improved it at his pro day and private workouts, that is something that would take some time to change.

Quote:
however his arm strength was a glaring issue (velocity).
Young's arm strength was not an issue, certainly not after his pro day.

Quote:
does this really compute to, VY = a 1st round pick, Tebow = MAYBE an NFL QB?
Tebow was a 1st round pick

Last edited by ZB9; 05-03-2010 at 01:55 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2010, 01:53 AM   #16
Banned

OKAY OKAY's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade44
Not only that, but also the Team(s) that needed a QB when both of these guys were drafted. Tenneessee was looking to replace a mobile QB and had the 3rd pick, Houston was at #1 and VY is a legend in texas and like I said dude dominated in the Rose bowl months prior so he had a whole storyline going.

The OP was exaggerating Tebows stock as there was plenty of speculation about 1st round suitors, namely the Jags with the Florida connection which was similar to VY's texas connection.
lol you're still stuck on the "stock" thing. There is no exaggeration - some people dubbed him earlier MAYBE, but not as a QB, but a PROJECT ATHLETE (H-back, TE, etc). As JUST a QB, Tebow is put at the 4th or 5th (maybe 3rd). That was just the common idea.

Again - HERE IS THE POINT:

The general conception was that VY was going to be a starting NFL QB, and most believe to be a STAR (a top 10 pick would equate to a star).

And the conception with Tebow right now is, CAN HE BE AN NFL QB? Can he even MAKE it?

There is a HUGE discrepancy, a HUGE difference... and that's why I ask the question.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »