Home

So, why was Vince Young a 1st round prospect, and Tebow is a 4th-5th?

This is a discussion on So, why was Vince Young a 1st round prospect, and Tebow is a 4th-5th? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-03-2010, 02:55 AM   #41
Banned

OKAY OKAY's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: So, why was Vince Young a 1st round prospect, and Tebow is a 4th-5th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Was it the same? I don't know. Probably not. I don't listen to the Mel Kiper's and Todd McShay's of the world, and see most mock drafts for what they are. So I really don't pay attention to them either.

I think people see Tebow's slow release and the hitch in his delivery as something that's a lot more difficult to overcome than simply having a low release point. I personally think people, most of who don't know much about QB fundamentals and techinques blew it way out of proportion. I think they also saw the offense he played in and wonder if he will be able to take what he does best and be effective in a pro style offense. I believe that's because a lot or people think because they have never seen a player do that, for some reason that player is incapable of doing it. Not sure why, but that seems to be the way it works out.

Personally I think Tebow has a very good chance to be a good NFL QB, but only time will tell.

As we've seen year in and year out, projecting QB's is a complete crapshoot and anyone who tries to tell you definitively that a guy will or won't be good at the next level, is either lying or simply doesn't know any better.

Me personally I wouldn't have used a Top 10 pick on either of these guys.
lol I personally believe mock drafts are pointless, but fun. Anything after the top 5 picks it becomes extremely inaccurate. The problem is that all people who make them don't really have an idea or understanding the systems, schemes, or philosophies of every team which all plays a huge part of how they watch the tape.

Todd McShay is an idiot to me. Kiper is pretty bad too but he had to most accurate mock this year. (10/32).

After how inaccurate mock drafts are people still love them. Right after the draft McShay tried to make a 2011 mock, SMH...McShay is probably the biggest idiot in all of "analysts."

I agree with you about the QB who don't much about fundamentals/techniques. I mean there are many ways to do it (Philip Rivers). I highly doubt most even knew what reads Tebow had to make and his responsibilities as a QB at Florida. It was obviously not pro level-esque, but you could get the energy that some thought he was playing back yard football.

I honestly don't care - I'm not here to advocate Tebow or VY, where ever or whatever you guys/they think of them is cool... if you think Tebow suck, cool. If you think Tebow will be great, cool.

I just wanted to know why Tebow was so controversial as a QB and VY wasn't questioned as a NFL QB (good or not).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2010, 03:24 AM   #42
MVP

OVR: 6

What Vince Young has that Tebow doesn't have is Vince Young's elite rushing abilities. Even in the pros, Vince Young can make players look foolish trying to chase after him. One of Tim Tebow's intangible ability is his rushing ability, but many say he is not fast enough to out run the defense in the next level. You are practically taking away one of Tim's best features that makes Tim Tebow.

I'm not sure about Vince Young, but many also questioned some of Tim Tebow's decision making. In college, he had lots of open receivers to throw to and sometimes he still managed to make the wrong decision. That could also factor into Tim Tebow not being able to handle the next level.

Although Vince Young has been criticize for his awkward release, he did bring a quick release to the ball. Tim Tebow had a slow release to his throw. When you add up all this stuff up about Tim Tebow, it just makes you wonder if these same skills that made him successful in college will even translate well in the NFL.

And Vince Young displayed a great performance in the Rose Bowl game. He showed he had the ability to carry the team into his own hands and be clutch when he was needed to. I think after that game a lot of people just fell in love with him and he was one of those quarterbacks people wanted during the moment.

I think the problem with Tim Tebow is that he hit his success way too early. Once you hit a high point and you don't improve much further, the analyst will begin to criticize you and your stock will fall. Maybe Vince hit a high point at just the right moment.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:33 AM   #43
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Just a bit shorter. His running style isn't "proven" in the NFL for a QB. Considerably worse release. Slightly more gimicky college offense (? not a huge college fan so that might not be heavily agreed upon).

Also, as mentioned the timing of the rose bowl, and the fact Bud Adams was picking 3rd after a bad season and clear uncertainty at QB for the Titans with his father figure Steve McNair already on the roster and close to likely retirement. Seemed a good chance to eventually pass the torch, at least in theory.

Oh, and the already outlined changes in environment (Vick factor, draft order, draft class, etc).

Bout' covers it I think.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #44
Go Titans..

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKAY OKAY
lol I personally believe mock drafts are pointless, but fun. Anything after the top 5 picks it becomes extremely inaccurate. The problem is that all people who make them don't really have an idea or understanding the systems, schemes, or philosophies of every team which all plays a huge part of how they watch the tape.

Todd McShay is an idiot to me. Kiper is pretty bad too but he had to most accurate mock this year. (10/32).

After how inaccurate mock drafts are people still love them. Right after the draft McShay tried to make a 2011 mock, SMH...McShay is probably the biggest idiot in all of "analysts."

I agree with you about the QB who don't much about fundamentals/techniques. I mean there are many ways to do it (Philip Rivers). I highly doubt most even knew what reads Tebow had to make and his responsibilities as a QB at Florida. It was obviously not pro level-esque, but you could get the energy that some thought he was playing back yard football.

I honestly don't care - I'm not here to advocate Tebow or VY, where ever or whatever you guys/they think of them is cool... if you think Tebow suck, cool. If you think Tebow will be great, cool.

I just wanted to know why Tebow was so controversial as a QB and VY wasn't questioned as a NFL QB (good or not).
Vince wasn't questioned because he had the potential to become a starting Quarterback in the NFL. Sure, Vince's accuracy wasn't the best coming out of college, but he had the arm strength to make all the throws and excellent speed and agility be able to have the success that Vick was having at the time.

Tebow wasn't the fastest runner, more than likely wouldn't be able to truck most of the NFL's defensive players, and had a terrible throwing motion. Before Tebow started working on his throwing motion, many people didn't even think he had the potential to become a starting Quarterback, and had a better chance at being a successful player at another position.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #45
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Its simple VY's strengths translated better to the pro game than Tebows' strengths. Question answered.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #46
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Yeah, just to expound on that...Vince relies on speed, agility and acceleration which translates well to the NFL for a QB because he can avoid hits. Tebow relies on power which translates poorly to the NFL for QB due to the number of hits and overall size/power that is in the NFL.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #47
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
Just a bit shorter. His running style isn't "proven" in the NFL for a QB. Considerably worse release. Slightly more gimicky college offense (? not a huge college fan so that might not be heavily agreed upon).

Also, as mentioned the timing of the rose bowl, and the fact Bud Adams was picking 3rd after a bad season and clear uncertainty at QB for the Titans with his father figure Steve McNair already on the roster and close to likely retirement. Seemed a good chance to eventually pass the torch, at least in theory.

Oh, and the already outlined changes in environment (Vick factor, draft order, draft class, etc).

Bout' covers it I think.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Its simple VY's strengths translated better to the pro game than Tebows' strengths. Question answered.
and this

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Yeah, just to expound on that...Vince relies on speed, agility and acceleration which translates well to the NFL for a QB because he can avoid hits. Tebow relies on power which translates poorly to the NFL for QB due to the number of hits and overall size/power that is in the NFL.
I guess the OP isn't around to find out if this satisfies what he was looking for.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #48
Banned

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreAllWitnesses
Because Michael Vick was still an effective running QB when Young came out, so teams thought they could win with that style.
This. I never thought VY should have been as highly regarded as he was though. He, like Tebow, had lots of questions and awful mechanics. However he was coming off a win against the "greatest team in CFB history" in a game he single handily won for the most part. So that hype carried over and his athletic ability outshined his faults.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »