Home

Chris Johnson to hold out?

This is a discussion on Chris Johnson to hold out? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2010, 11:19 PM   #25
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Chris Johnson to hold out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
They actually break it down in the article (click the link).

It's the way of the world but I can never side with the athletes in these cases. If you have faith in your skills then sign a contract that makes more sense to begin with. There was no reason for him to sign a 5 year deal. The thing that bugs me about situations like this is if he ran for 500 yards this coming season, would he allow the Titans to renegotiate his contract back to being closer to what he originally signed for? Of course not.
You're completely letting the team off the hook in this case. First, the Titans had to offer him a great short term deal in the first place. How can he sign a deal that's advantageous to him if there is no deal being offered? And god forbid if he holds out as a rookie, look at what happened to Crabtree when he had a perfectly legit gripe....the dude was crucified.

If he ran for 500 yards this season, he would have been cut. It's a moot point in that case. Unfortunately this is the only alternative for players, which is why so many do it.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2010, 12:02 AM   #26

SouthernBrick's Arena

OVR: 42

I hope he does holdout. Might as well.

If I put myself in his shoes I'm holding out.

I wouldn't want to break the bank but, I'd want a new contract immediately after a season like that.

Oh and I think he'll hold out and for a long time to.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:25 AM   #27
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffarmleft
When did a contract stop being a contract, he's great and all but he signed on the dotted line and it's coming to a point where runningbacks are disposable, even ones as good as Chirs Johnson. One way he could capatalize on his popularity is endorsements, I'm actually suprised I have not seen him in many commercials if any, maybe companies are scared off by the gold fronts and dreads. Does he have any ensorsements, was he even a candidate to be on the cover of madden?
What part of a team can cut any player when they feel like at any point dont people understand. NFL players salaries arent guarenteed. If they cut Johnson tomorrow he would normally count against the cap(which they have none this year) ,but the team doesnt have to pay him once they cut him. So why should he have to play out that contract burning his most productive years being under paid?

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:59 AM   #28
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
So why should he have to play out that contract burning his most productive years being under paid?
Because he and his agent agreed to the terms of the contract and signed it.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:40 AM   #29
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

FYI, Johnson missed a fair bit of OTAs etc last season too. He does private training in Orlando.....seemed to work ok last season.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:19 AM   #30
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
You're completely letting the team off the hook in this case. First, the Titans had to offer him a great short term deal in the first place. How can he sign a deal that's advantageous to him if there is no deal being offered? And god forbid if he holds out as a rookie, look at what happened to Crabtree when he had a perfectly legit gripe....the dude was crucified.

If he ran for 500 yards this season, he would have been cut. It's a moot point in that case. Unfortunately this is the only alternative for players, which is why so many do it.
NFL players have the worst contracts. If you are a rookie you are slotted into your contract. Teams always cut/re-work contract for players.

CJ better get his money now.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:49 PM   #31
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
My point is teams arent completely helpless. We're not talking about some unproven rookie(J****ssell) cashing in before he ever does anything. We're talking about a player who is arguably the best at his position. Team's always have the right to cut a player thats not living up to there contract or ask them to restructure it.
And my point is it's not about anybody being helpless. You act as if the teams lose nothing by cutting a player. They give out huge bonuses so there are millions of dollars on the line for the team too. Russell (and any other top QB including Manning) doesn't relate to this discussion bc he was just lucky to be drafted at a slot (#1) and a position (QB) that brings in a higher salary naturally. But, with that said, we saw what Russell did... he held out for more money.

I don't support players holding out, but I do think that if you really believe in your ability (like Crabtree for example) then either work for the money up front or work for a shorter contract so that you're up for a new one quickly after proving your worth.

It sounds like your position is that it's BS that teams can cut players after they sign a contract. Lets assume that's true... then wouldn't it also be BS that players try to get out of contracts like this? How can it be wrong for one and not the other? I accept that both happen and that won't change, but I don't think either is right. But I bet if teams could renegotiate players salaries when they have BAD years then they wouldn't cut them. It should work both ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf371
In a sport where players get knocked out of injuries all the time? It doesn't make any sense that a player would sign for anything but security when your body is getting pounded every season, especially at a position like running back. The injury settlements are tiny compared to what these players could possibly make.

If I'm going out and destroying my body for the sake of others' entertainment in a career that will leave my body broken down years early and brain basically a hunk of cheese by the time I'm 40, I'm going to try to get everything I can while I can get it.
Again, not saying you shouldn't. But there's a time for it. If you sign a 10 year contract then after year 2, if you have the best year ever you shouldn't be complaining about being underpaid. It's your fault for undervaluing your ability for the sake of 10 year security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky

I don't think I am at all. Do we know what he was originally offered? How much did his agent press for that type of deal? Crabtree was crucified for more than the hold out. His draft stock dropped bc of his attitude and then he cried about not being the first WR taken. Anything negative after that is going to have you crucified. But for argument's sake, lets say it was the hold out. History shows that lots of players that hold out have trouble adjusting so there was worry about that. Crabtree came in and performed... that's all that matters. In a year or two, most will forget that he ever held out if he performs like he should, and he will be doing it with the amount of money he feels he deserves so shouldn't need to do something like CJ is doing now (which gets the same amount of negative press as a hold out).

The truth is coming out of college these kids want to get paid so bad that they'll take anything. If it wasn't for agents most players would be getting screwed left and right. Once they start playing, they can see how they rank vs everyone else at their position, and then see how much everyone else gets paid... then they start crying about being underpaid. They need to project their value better coming into the league. If you think you won't be cut after 2 years then just sign a 2 year contract. If you have a great first year, the team will want to restructure your deal before you become a free agent. When you sign a 5 year deal, you willingly give the team extra power, then come back crying about how you're being unfairly paid.

The nature of the NFL makes it acceptable but try that in any other walk of life and you'll get laughed at.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2010, 02:10 PM   #32
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton

The truth is coming out of college these kids want to get paid so bad that they'll take anything. If it wasn't for agents most players would be getting screwed left and right. Once they start playing, they can see how they rank vs everyone else at their position, and then see how much everyone else gets paid... then they start crying about being underpaid. They need to project their value better coming into the league. If you think you won't be cut after 2 years then just sign a 2 year contract. If you have a great first year, the team will want to restructure your deal before you become a free agent. When you sign a 5 year deal, you willingly give the team extra power, then come back crying about how you're being unfairly paid.

The nature of the NFL makes it acceptable but try that in any other walk of life and you'll get laughed at.
How could Johnson possibly project that he would become possibly one of the best player in the NFL after college...especially at the point he was drafted? It just isn't logical for him to demand the money he is worth now when he was a rookie. In the rare case that the player can demand a market for himself...ie JaMarcus Russell, a team can cut the player if he underperforms and rid themselves of the obligation for the most part. Why can't the player demand more if he overperforms?
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »