Home

Is Michael Vick a 'bust'?

This is a discussion on Is Michael Vick a 'bust'? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Is Michael Vick a 'bust'?
Yes 45 39.13%
No 70 60.87%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2010, 02:04 PM   #9
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Is Michael Vick a 'bust'?

oops i voted yes by mistake..

He is what I thought he would be, plus he did lead the team who drafted him #1 to a NFC champ game...
Old 05-11-2010, 02:08 PM   #10
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Yes, because when you draft a player you expect him to play and not be in prison.

If he never went to prison he'd be a mid-tier QB, so not a bust with respect to talent. Just a bust with respect more with the situations he put himself in.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:17 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 27

He isn't a bust, but was (and hopefully no longer) a bad citizen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2010, 02:22 PM   #12
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Another Vick thread...

In terms of a football career, he's not a bust as he was exactly whom the Falcons saw when they drafted him: elusive, playmaker, electric arm, decent accuracy with no touch, limited QB vision. He led them to the playoffs including going to the divisional round in '03 and went to a couple of pro-bowls. He generated revenue both in the seats and merchandise sales so he certainly delivered on the amount of money Atlanta paid him (or most of it as the owner got back $20M).

In terms of a society perspective, he is a bust with regard to America's demands that professional athletes be role models and superb citizens for young teenage followers to look up to but if taking that standpoint then half of the athletic arena should be considered busts.
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.

Last edited by Speedy; 05-11-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #13
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Sounds like you had an agenda when you made this thread.
I actually like Vick. I think he got a raw deal from the public with the whole dogfighting thing, when there's guys in the league that have done worse IMO. But that's a whole other issue, not to derail things.

The fact is, Vick didn't produce in Atlanta to the level at which they expected him to. No doubt he was one of the best playmakers in the league at one point in time. But did that translate to wins? At times yes, but for the most part, no. 37-27 isn't that great of a record for a #1 pick at QB.

All things considered, on the field and off it, Vick was a bust for the Falcons. I think people get too wrapped up in the highlights. When you look at his numbers, they were mediocre for a QB. He never developed the balance between the playmaking as a runner and efficiency as a passer that Atlanta expected and needed at that point in time. That along with the off the field circumstances all comes together to make him a bust IMO.

PSN: dsavbeast
Old 05-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #14
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

WTF? How are there more votes saying yes than no? You people really have a problem if you think Vick is a bust. I hope Jamarcus Russell goes to one of your teams so you can see what a real bust is. SMH
Old 05-11-2010, 02:52 PM   #15
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
WTF? How are there more votes saying yes than no? You people really have a problem if you think Vick is a bust. I hope Jamarcus Russell goes to one of your teams so you can see what a real bust is. SMH
I'm sorry...I didn't realize having your QB in prison instead of playing on the field was a good thing...

I'm not denying his talent and ability. In that respect he's not a bust. In staying out of prison for years he's a total bust. Part of drafting a player is the mental side of life, not just numbers. Vick put himself in poor situations and cost him most of his career.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2010, 02:52 PM   #16
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick012
I actually like Vick. I think he got a raw deal from the public with the whole dogfighting thing, when there's guys in the league that have done worse IMO. But that's a whole other issue, not to derail things.

The fact is, Vick didn't produce in Atlanta to the level at which they expected him to. No doubt he was one of the best playmakers in the league at one point in time. But did that translate to wins? At times yes, but for the most part, no. 37-27 isn't that great of a record for a #1 pick at QB.

All things considered, on the field and off it, Vick was a bust for the Falcons. I think people get too wrapped up in the highlights. When you look at his numbers, they were mediocre for a QB. He never developed the balance between the playmaking as a runner and efficiency as a passer that Atlanta expected and needed at that point in time. That along with the off the field circumstances all comes together to make him a bust IMO.
Actually 37-27 is a pretty good record for any QB. Name the #1 picks with better records. Earlier you also tried to say the running game was good bc of Dunn/Duckett when the entire world knows that the entire team's running game was good bc of Vick, and that includes Dunn and Duckett. The Falcons went to the NFC championship and won a playoff game in GB before they got all the pieces in place, and that was bc of Vick.

I don't know if you really like Vick or not, but this thread reads as more of a statement than a question... followed by attempts to skew things to support the direction you already wanted to the poll to go. Bottom line is, as a football player he definitely was not a bust, unless your standards were the revolutionary best football player ever that the hype had him becoming when he got out of college. Compared to real life examples, he was very productive before screwing his life up.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »