Home

WR Roy Williams: "I'm the man."

This is a discussion on WR Roy Williams: "I'm the man." within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-16-2010, 01:34 PM   #25
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: WR Roy Williams: "I'm the man."

It's amazing how many Cowboy fans got upset with me and attacked me when I said that was a terrible trade that brought back memories of the Joey Galloway trade.

One Cowboys/'Horn fan argued with me that Williams was a legit #1 WR in the NFL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #26
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
I'm not convinced he's a player of any significant value to the Cowboys right now.
I'm kind of there with you, but something in me keeps saying "There's a good player in there somewhere." I just can't see this otherwise solid WR being garbage just because he came to Dallas. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Regardless, at this point, Roy is very overpaid. His contract is what puts the magnifying glass on him. I think he gets this year to prove his worth. You know what they say: the 3rd time is the charm. I'm not expecting 1K yards and 12 TDs b/c we have so many other weapons that'll command the ball. I just need for him to maximize his opportunities.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #27
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Crayton is as inconsistent as Roy and a miserable bastard, and Dez has done nothing. Ogletree was nice in flashes, but is unproven as well.
I'll have to disagree about Crayton. Aside from the gimme-ball that he dropped in the 07 playoffs against the Giants (ugh), he's been pretty consistent when given the opportunity. He's got great hands and while he doesn't have breakaway speed, he's a very serviceable WR IMO and has great chemistry with Romo.

You say he's miserable (and there is some truth to that), but he's a professional in a lot of ways too. The Cowboys have been trying to replace him for the last couple years and they haven't been able to do it. When he was taken out of the starting lineup for the better Miles Austin, he handled it cordially despite the coaches not communicating that he would no longer be the starter. They also brought in Allen Rossum last year to replace PC on punt returns...that didn't last long either since Rossum was hurt immediately.

While Crayton can be replaced, I wouldn't be in a hurry to let him go. He's a quality 3rd or 4th receiver. But with Dez Bryant expected to take over punt returns and PC not covering kicks on special teams, he's probably seen his last days in a Cowboys uniform.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:22 PM   #28
Greatness

utexas's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
I'll have to disagree about Crayton. Aside from the gimme-ball that he dropped in the 07 playoffs against the Giants (ugh), he's been pretty consistent when given the opportunity. He's got great hands and while he doesn't have breakaway speed, he's a very serviceable WR IMO and has great chemistry with Romo.

You say he's miserable (and there is some truth to that), but he's a professional in a lot of ways too. The Cowboys have been trying to replace him for the last couple years and they haven't been able to do it. When he was taken out of the starting lineup for the better Miles Austin, he handled it cordially despite the coaches not communicating that he would no longer be the starter. They also brought in Allen Rossum last year to replace PC on punt returns...that didn't last long either since Rossum was hurt immediately.

While Crayton can be replaced, I wouldn't be in a hurry to let him go. He's a quality 3rd or 4th receiver. But with Dez Bryant expected to take over punt returns and PC not covering kicks on special teams, he's probably seen his last days in a Cowboys uniform.
As long as he picks up his checks on tuesdays, they aren't disrespecting him at all
https://www.facebook.com/thesportspreacher/
https://www.facebook.com/ipreachspor...PAGES_TIMELINE
Old 05-17-2010, 04:45 PM   #29
#faceuary2014

ScoobySnax's Arena

OVR: 30

Crayton should stay on the roster for his special teams play alone. Yes, he is a hell of a 3rd WR as well. It's a real shame that he's going to be even further down on the depth chart. I sure as hell don't see the 'Boys spending a 1st rounder on Dez not to have him start immediately. If we gotta let someone go, I'd say let go of Sam Hurd (even though I like him).
PSN: xxplosive1984
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/os_scoobysnax/profile
Old 05-17-2010, 05:51 PM   #30
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobySnax
Crayton should stay on the roster for his special teams play alone. Yes, he is a hell of a 3rd WR as well. It's a real shame that he's going to be even further down on the depth chart. I sure as hell don't see the 'Boys spending a 1st rounder on Dez not to have him start immediately. If we gotta let someone go, I'd say let go of Sam Hurd (even though I like him).
Try not to expect too much from rookie WRs. They really do usually take some time to develop. Guys like Jackson, Royal and Harvin had better looks bc of their special teams play and the lack of competition at the position on their rosters (and Harvin being a WR/RB to begin with). Bryant may be hot out of the gate, but he also may take a year or two before getting real minutes. Especially if we're talking about a #3 WR, on 3rd downs I think Crayton would get the nod at this point.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:11 PM   #31
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36

My "miserable bastard" comments weren't about his long term character ("sulky" would be more accurate there), but as it relates to the situation. He's demanding to be traded, suggesting he will not play, etc. I could care less about his overall attitude (half the WRs in the league have some kind of issues...lol) only that he doesn't want to be there and isn't any more proven as a performer than Roy. Right now, Roy is fighting for his job and trying to get better, and Patrick is just sulking. That was all I was saying there. I was not undervaluing his contributions or suggesting getting rid of him over Roy by any means though.

I don't want to get rid of either of them, that's my point. Depth is important and everyone getting all hyped up about Dez seems to forget that. I'm not a fan of Roy, but aside from almost no relative worth to what Jerry gave up for him, I also don't think he's completely useless and can contribute to the team.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2010, 09:03 AM   #32
Greatness

utexas's Arena

OVR: 32

While Dez Bryant earns praise from teammates, Roy Williams looks 'like a No. 1 receiver'

Quote:
David Moore
Archive | E-mail
IRVING – If Dez Bryant is all that, if he lives up to the legacy of the receivers who wore No. 88 before him, the wonder and excitement he displayed in his early days on the job will become an endearing sidebar.

Dez Bryant has, 'the ability to be a top receiver in the league,' according to Pro Bowl cornerback Mike Jenkins.
Monday's moment came in his first conversation with quarterback Tony Romo.

"One time, he was explaining the play to me," Bryant said. "I really didn't care about the play.

"I was excited that he was talking to me."

The first day of organized team activities was a dream come true for Bryant.

The Cowboys' dream came true 3 ½ weeks ago when they took the talented receiver from Oklahoma State in the first round of the draft. He's so good that club officials search the nooks and crannies of Valley Ranch for the lamp of anointing oil that former coach Bill Parcells hid on his way out of town.

Bryant caught passes from Romo for the first time. He ran routes against Pro Bowl cornerbacks Terence Newman and Mike Jenkins.

He was told by Roy Williams, the receiver Bryant will replace sooner rather than later, that anything the rookie needs, just ask.

The Cowboys' 6-3 lightning rod then went out and was arguably more impressive than Bryant. Williams' juggling, one-handed catch on a deep ball after he was bumped by cornerback Cletis Gordon prompted owner Jerry Jones to walk over to a row of camera operators to make sure they captured the play.

"Roy came out on fire today," Jenkins said. "That's the best I've seen Roy since he got here.

"He looked like a No. 1 receiver."

Jenkins had high praise for Bryant as well.

It probably had something to do with the play when Bryant jumped high over Jenkins, twisted and made a beautiful catch on a ball thrown slightly behind him.

"I definitely agree with that pick," Jenkins said. "He's going to push everybody. He's going to push Miles [Austin]. He's going to push Roy to be a better receiver, and that's going to make him better because he's trying to catch up to those guys.

"He came out today with the right composure."

This practice was a lot quicker, a lot faster than what Bryant went through with the other rookies to open the month. One of the first veterans who came up to him Monday was Williams.

Williams declared last week that he intended to keep his starting job. He punctuated his comments by saying he's a bad man and there "ain't no such thing" as him sitting on the bench.

But Williams is also a gracious man. He went out of his way to make Bryant comfortable.

"He told me if I need anything, don't hesitate to ask," Bryant said. "He'll help me.

"I feel like Roy and I have a great relationship. For him to say that made my day a lot better. Like I told him, I look up to guys like him."

Williams and the other receivers told the rookie how deep to run his routes. They told him how the corners would defend certain plays. Bryant learned from all of them.

When asked if he was uncomfortable that his presence led to the absence of Patrick Crayton, Bryant responded that he wished Crayton was there so he could learn from him.

Bryant isn't just saying this to sound good. He's serious. In the rookie mini-camp there was a time or two Bryant didn't look early enough when the skinny post was thrown. Head coach Wade Phillips said the receiver's timing was impeccable on that play Monday.

It was also pretty good the time he skied over Jenkins to haul in a Romo pass.

"He has a feel for going and getting the ball at its highest point," Romo said.

And what did Newman and Jenkins have to say?

"Good job," Bryant said. "They told me good job.

"To hear that from them, two Pro Bowl corners, that's exciting. That's very exciting for me. It's a great privilege for me to be able to go up against some guys like that."

All that, and Romo talked to him.

It was quite a day.

"He has the ability to be a top receiver in the league," Jenkins said. "They [the coaches] are treating him like it. They're not treating him like a rookie because they know what kind of player he is."
Hopefully some of you can handle the truth
https://www.facebook.com/thesportspreacher/
https://www.facebook.com/ipreachspor...PAGES_TIMELINE

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »