Home

Team Rankings by Steve Wyche

This is a discussion on Team Rankings by Steve Wyche within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-07-2010, 03:00 AM   #1
MVP

CaliDude916's Arena

OVR: 14
Team Rankings by Steve Wyche

This list is a joke. Steve Wyche must have been high when typing this list.

1. Chargers -- The Bolts run game improves with rookie Ryan Mathews, and they play just two playoff teams in the first 10 games.

2. Ravens -- WR Anquan Boldin plus RB Ray Rice plus QB Joe Flacco makes this offense as fearsome as the defense.

3. Cowboys -- This team boasts enviable depth. If it can survive its early schedule -- including a highly anticipated rematch with Minnesota in Week 1 -- watch out.

4. Colts -- The beefed up offensive line should help, and the returns of WR Anthony Gonzalez and S Bob Sanders add more firepower on both sides.

5. Packers -- A second season playing the 3-4 defense and a better offensive line with the addition of rookie tackle Bryan Bulaga make this the team to beat in the NFC North.

6. Bengals -- The defense might be the most physical in the AFC. Carson Palmer needs to regain his form. He has more wide receiver (Antonio Bryant) and tight end (Jermaine Gresham) threats.

7. Falcons -- CB Dunta Robinson and rookie LB Sean Weatherspoon change the tenor of the defense. RB Michael Turner is already in shape to return to form.

8. Saints -- Like Indy's Peyton Manning, N'awlins' Drew Brees will have the Saints in the thick of things. The O-line is really good and DE Alex Brown should improve the defensive front.

9. Vikings -- Even if Brett Favre is back, there's no telling if he'll be as money as last season. Minny has to be better in all areas, especially in the secondary.

10. Jets -- Something about all their high-profile moves seems like there's a trap door ready to sink the ship, but Rex Ryan can coach with the best of them, giving N.Y. an edge in the AFC East.

11. Patriots -- The Pats could start slow, but by the end of the season when Wes Welker is back and some of the young players have their footing, New England could be fearsome.

12. Texans -- Losing LB Brian Cushing for four games hurts. Adding CB Kareem Jackson and RB Ben Tate helps. Matt Schaub needs to take the next step, and Houston needs to win in the division.

13. 49ers -- QB Alex Smith doesn't have to do anything great. He just can't make mistakes. If he keeps improving, San Francisco should win the NFC West.

14. Titans -- The youth movement should benefit the Titans. Some common ground needs to be found with RB Chris Johnson, otherwise his contract demands could be a distraction.

15. Giants -- Defensively New York should be better, but there aren't any assurances of that. The running game and the offensive line play could determine if this is a playoff team.

16. Dolphins -- Defensive coordinator Mike Nolan will have the defense better and unpredictable. WR Brandon Marshall will change the dynamic of the offense. QB Chad Henne is the key.

17. Eagles -- The switch to QB Kevin Kolb and the overall youth push could help chemistry but cause the team to take a step back. Not a radical one. Philly should get better as the season progresses.

18. Cardinals -- The offensive identity will turn more to the ground game to ease the pressure off Matt Leinart. Ken Whisenhunt is an excellent coach, but this transition could stall things.

19. Steelers -- S Troy Polamalu's return will re-ignite the defense, but the Big Ben/QB situation could disrupt the offense -- and team chemistry. They may miss the playoffs for the second straight year.

20. Seahawks -- Coach Pete Carroll has re-energized the troops and QB Matt Hasselbeck is really dialed in, but there are still a lot of holes that need to be plugged.

21. Raiders -- Oakland could emerge as a playoff team, but that's if QB Jason Campbell shows that he's that type of quarterback. He's an upgrade from JaMarcus Russell, but he's still a question mark.

22. Buccaneers -- Tampa Bay could be this season's sleeper team -- if the rookies all step up. That's asking a lot. They should be a lot better, especially on offense, but not quite yet.

23. Jaguars -- Another possible sleeper. The young O-line should be better as should the offense as a whole, but the defense still is unsettled. Not good in a division where offense is king.

24. Broncos -- Forget the Tim Tebow hysteria, Denver has to fix its defense and hope that OT Ryan Clady rebounds from a knee injury. QB play, of course, is an issue.

25. Redskins -- Donovan McNabb should make the offense better, but the line is still unsettled. The change to a 3-4 defense disrupts a solid unit that doesn't have all the parts for the switch.

26. Chiefs -- A unified coaching staff and better players should help, but a lot depends on QB Matt Cassel. Rookie S Eric Berry could be a difference-maker.

27. Bears -- Jay Cutler will be much better, but will the running game and offensive line improve too? It also hurts to have defensive uncertainties in this division.

28. Lions -- A solid draft class in '09 and the potential of the '10 class, as well as some nice free-agent additions should help. They're still far away overall.

29. Browns -- Cleveland seems to have made upgrades, but you can't win if you don't have a quarterback, which they don't.

30. Panthers -- There is bad karma in Carolina. There is still talent and a lot of gritty players, but a lame duck coach and underlying morale issues could undermine this season.

31. Rams -- First overall pick Sam Bradford is going to take some lumps, but he'll also make some plays. *. Louis still lacks too much talent.

32. Bills -- RB C.J. Spiller was a nice draft choice, and he could be a bright spot if he ever gets room to run. New coach Chan Gailey will have to work miracles to make something of this offense.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d818768f4&...deo-with-comments&confirm=true

Last edited by CaliDude916; 06-07-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2010, 03:12 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 22
Re: Team Rankings by Steve Wyche

High isn't the word, more like drunk while stoned on an acid trip. Saints #8, seriously? The Same Saints team that won the SB are #8? And Cowboys better then the Packers after we embarrassed them last season? I'm kinda speachless after looking at that list, and everyones IQ who looks at that list decreases as a result.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

Atlanta def shouldn't be in the top ten. jenkins needs to catch the ball when it comes to him. I still think they are suspect at wr and db.

cowboys hard to say they may have overcheived last year. in the division game the old tony romo was back. but that defense barring any bad injury that should keep them in the top.

the chargers are a bit of a reach relying on a rookie rb to pick up where LT left off. plus one of their reciever prob facing suspension.

the steelers i think should be a little lower there is no way telling if the old palomalu will ever be back. they are still suspect at corner unless mcfadden truly does step up. offensively lose holmes will hurt more than some think. for now wallace will be played one on one until he becomes a true threat. ward will get his catches, but his reoccuring hamstring issue will be a problem. so that leaves with randel el and battle to make up for catches. on saving grace is miller and possible running game.

bengals i think carson is coming to the end with the bengals he had a pretty good passing offense til henry died and no one ever took his spot hopefully with bryant on the other side it will open the middle up for greshiam and their slot recievers.

bears needed to be lower because of their aging defense, low rated recievers , their qb has the potential to make them better , but he has to be smarter with the ball and use both of his tightends to stretch the linebackers to open up the running game.

bills chan gailey isn't the answer they will have the number one pick next year. their defense is ok , but very young and with a lackluster offensive line the defense will be on the field alot.

the eagles should prob be lower because of the youth movement, the telling sign how well they will do will be the running game. Kolb will get rid of the ball , but to who he has to be willing to take sacks and be smart with the ball. defensively being so young could be very messy they need pressure from their front 7 and they need to stop the running game.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

lmao at the Saints being 8 after winning 13 straight games last year, being top of the league in turnovers for most of the year until the last couple weeks, being number 1 offense, and winning a little thing called the Superbowl by double digits, plus keeping the whole team intact(except Mike Bell and Scott Fujita). What's even more hilarious is that the Chargers are number 1 because of a rookie running back and an easy early schedule. I guess he hasn't watched the Chargers play the last couple of years.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 06-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
lmao at the Saints being 8 after winning 13 straight games last year, being top of the league in turnovers for most of the year until the last couple weeks, being number 1 offense, and winning a little thing called the Superbowl by double digits, plus keeping the whole team intact(except Mike Bell and Scott Fujita). What's even more hilarious is that the Chargers are number 1 because of a rookie running back and an easy early schedule. I guess he hasn't watched the Chargers play the last couple of years.
The Chargers definitely shouldn't be #1 and I don't think I'd put them in the Top 5 either but they've been one of the best teams in the AFC the last couple of years, so I don't know what you mean by your last sentence.

Anyways, LOL @ the Saints being 8. I guess you need to win 3 straight Super Bowl's and go undefeated to be ranked #1.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #6
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Well at least he got the Bills ranking right.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 06-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #7
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
The Chargers definitely shouldn't be #1 and I don't think I'd put them in the Top 5 either but they've been one of the best teams in the AFC the last couple of years, so I don't know what you mean by your last sentence.

Anyways, LOL @ the Saints being 8. I guess you need to win 3 straight Super Bowl's and go undefeated to be ranked #1.
The Chargers have started slow since Turner got there and still haven't gotten far enough in the playoffs to justify being number 1. Preseason rankings really don't matter but looking at their recent history and saying that they are number 1 because they added a rookie running back makes no sense. I'm not saying that they're a bad team but they haven't shown anything to warrant getting that much hype.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 06-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 42

I think this list is another example of a sports journalist/newscaster getting his name out there by stiring up yhe pot with claims he can ignore that he made as the season gets underway.

I was discarding some preseason football guides this weekend and was laughing at how far off they were year after year. How do these guys keep jobs as prognosticators with that kind of failure rate?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »