Home

Panthers LB Davis tears ACL

This is a discussion on Panthers LB Davis tears ACL within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 14
Panthers LB Davis tears ACL

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Panthers hopeful that LB Davis can return from second ACL tear
NFL.com Wire Reports

Thomas Davis tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee for the second time in the past seven months, but the Carolina Panthers aren't giving up hope that the linebacker could return sometime this coming season, a source with knowledge of the situation told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora.

The Panthers revealed the extent of Davis' injury Wednesday, one day after his knee buckled during a non-contact drill in a voluntary workout.

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai
Davis had been making a remarkably speedy recovery after he first injured the ACL during a Nov. 8 game at New Orleans. He was clocked last month running the 40-yard dash in 4.47 seconds, making the Panthers believe he could return to the form that allowed him to collect 71 tackles, 1.5 sacks and two interceptions in seven games before he was hurt last season.

"Thomas is an explosive player," Panthers general manager Marty Hurney said. "He's a playmaker, a leader, great in our locker room, and he's someone everybody respects. You always hate to lose somebody like that. You feel so bad for him because he really has worked so hard."

Davis wasn't wearing a knee brace Tuesday when he fell to the turf while backpedaling, similar to how he was injured the first time while dropping into pass coverage. He immediately clutched his right knee before walking off the field.

An MRI Tuesday afternoon showed the tear, but Davis and his agent, Todd France, wanted to receive a second opinion from renowned surgeon James Andrews. The doctor confirmed the injury Wednesday.

"If you know the kind of person and you know how hard he's been working to get back -- and basically almost at the finish line -- to have this happen is just so disappointing," France said of Davis. "The only thing I can say is if there is one person that can rehab again and do the whole thing over, he's the one who has the right attitude and the work ethic to do it."

There were immediate questions if Davis returned from the first knee injury too soon, but Hurney and France insisted that wasn't the case.

"Obviously, questions like that are asked when something like this happens, but it was the normal rehab procedure we've done with other people," Hurney said. "Even Thomas said he had felt very good about how the knee had felt."

France indicated that Davis will undergo surgery either this weekend or sometime next week. It hasn't been determined if Andrews or the Panthers' team doctor will perform the procedure.

France said he was assured by Andrews that Davis can return to football. The injuries occurring so close together versus a couple of years apart prevents arthritis and other scar tissue concerns.

"He said there's no big picture issue, which is a great thing to hear," France said of Andrews.

That's significant because Davis, 27, will be an unrestricted free agent next spring after the Panthers offered him just a one-year, $3.268 million tender as a restricted free agent this offseason. Davis signed the tender shortly after being injured Tuesday.

"He'll surely be 100 percent come free agency and all that," France said. "I don't think that's going to be an issue. The long-term deal will work itself out."

The Panthers have the option of placing Davis on the physically-unable-to-perform list once he fails his training-camp physical. That would allow the team to activate Davis later in the season.

But Davis' injury leaves a void at one of the most important positions in defensive coordinator Ron Meeks' Cover-2 system. It calls for a speedy, athletic player to collect a big chunk of the tackles -- a position in which Davis thrived until he was hurt last season.

One option the Panthers haven't ruled out is moving Pro Bowl middle linebacker Jon Beason to Davis' spot. Jamar Williams, acquired from the Chicago Bears in the Chris Harris trade in April, James Anderson and Dan Connor are other possibilities.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Panthers LB Davis tears ACL

I'd be shocked if he comes back from this in time to play this season.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

Damn. This day just getting worse.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59

I read this earlier today. Stunned. Damn.

NFL - Carolina Panthers
NBA - Charlotte Hornets
MLB - Cincinnati Reds
College Basketball - Wake Forest
NCAA Football - Appalachian State
Old 06-11-2010, 12:38 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 11

These NFL Dudes are mad soft. I played with an ACL tear for 4 years when I played college football. Tape that bad boy up and get on the field.

Last edited by swill43507; 06-11-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #6
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by swill43507
These NFL Dudes are mad soft. I played with an ACL tear for 4 years when I played college football. Tape that bad boy up and get on the field.
It's kinda hard to run when a key ligament in your knee is gone. I'm pretty sure you're lying about playing with an ACL tear or it was extremely small.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 06-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
ULTRAAAA!!!!

Cyros's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
It's kinda hard to run when a key ligament in your knee is gone. I'm pretty sure you're lying about playing with an ACL tear or it was extremely small.
It's swill, so I'm assuming it's a joking post.

My OL coach in college claims that he did play with a torn ACL, though he never specified how severe it was.

My Video Game Streams
Old 06-13-2010, 01:27 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyros
It's swill, so I'm assuming it's a joking post.

My OL coach in college claims that he did play with a torn ACL, though he never specified how severe it was.
Didnt Reggie White play with one? I think he still recorded two or three sacks in his next game after tearing it. That shows you what a beast he was.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »