Home

Best runningback of all time

This is a discussion on Best runningback of all time within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Best RB of all time
Emmitt Smith 46 8.97%
Walter Payton 105 20.47%
Barry Sanders 231 45.03%
Eric Dickerson 7 1.36%
Jim Brown 77 15.01%
OJ Simpson 2 0.39%
Earl Campbell 6 1.17%
Ladainian Tomlinson 15 2.92%
Marshall Faulk 11 2.14%
Other: please list 13 2.53%
Voters: 513. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2010, 12:26 AM   #41
Gatekeeper

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: Best runningback of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
Well when one holds the record for the two most important things RBs do, gain yards and score TDs then I think it is more than fair to say he is the G.O.A.T..
Sure in fantasy football.

I can see the argument for Emmitt, but not for the reason you listed. YOu wouldn't happen to be a Cowboy fan as well would you?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2010, 12:42 AM   #42
MVP

OVR: 12

By sheer ability and the way he made it look effortless, it's Dickerson in my book. Being almost 6'4 230lbs when the average RB was much shorter and compact, I remember Ronnie Lott saying that a lot of people learned the hard way that just because Dickerson was long and lean, that didn't mean he couldn't run people over. He played in the NFC West when the Niners were kicking all kinds of azz and he gave them fits on a regular. The man with the neckroll and Rec Specs earned their respect at a time when they had a top shelf defense and were winning Super Bowls.

His biggest setback was his mouth. When he left LA and went to Indianapolis, it was the beginning of the end for him. He got his money, but left a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths with his attitude, being labeled with the "bad teammate" tag and the contract disputes, and I feel that has been the main reason he isn't mentioned when the "Greatest RB" discussion comes up. Had he not left LA, I feel he could have ran for close to 20,000 yards.

After his first 6 years he had over 11,000 yards. His last 4-5 years were wasted playing behind bad offensive lines and he was hurt a lot. Eric Dickerson will always be a story of what could have been.

Last edited by iLLmatic; 06-16-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:06 AM   #43
Banned

foolish813's Arena

OVR: 7

Curtis Ennis, hands down the best ever.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:25 AM   #44
MVP

Tengo Juego's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakedowncapo
Where's Charlie Garner on that list?

GET EM CHARLIE!
That was awesome. Had never seen that before, thanks for sharing.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #45
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

Obviously, I'm going to be a homer and say Emmitt Smith; the man is the all time leader in yards and is nearly atop most of the key RB stats. He didn't have the most talent or most athleticism, but I'd take him on my roster any day of the week.

Where I think he is the best was his versatility in that he could do it all: run inside with power, run outside with finesse, had a nose for the endzone, receiving threat and was an excellent pass protector. He simply never left the field because of this. His durability is what sets him apart in the end because it takes a man strong of will to be able to endure that kind of punishment for so long. I recall games where the guy was playing with a seperated shoulder, pulled hamstrings, etc, but somehow he was out there still churning away on the field. I mean, the man nearly gained 1000 yards his last season (age 35) playing for the Cardinals; that pretty proof positive that he wasn't merely a guy who benefited from a good OL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2010, 12:30 PM   #46
Banned

OVR: 62

You know I am.

As electrifying as Barry Sanders was in Detroit, he lacked the "it" factor to raise his team to the next level. Emmitt Smith did not lack that "it" factor, which puts him above Sanders. As you said earlier people make it sound like Sanders was surrounded by a bunch of HS kids when in reality he was surrounded by a really good offense with a upper tier OL. Sure it was not Dallas' OL, but it may have been the second or third best in the NFC at the time behind maybe San Francisco. I also believe Sanders running style would not have worked as well in Dallas and I can't look past Sanders being the NFL career leader in rushing attempts for a loss.

As for Walter Payton, again he didn't have that it factor Smith had. And yes he does have a SB, but well that was all on Buddy Ryan's 4-6 Defense, not being carried by Payton. Now unlike Smith or Sanders, Payton was in fact surrounded by an awful offense most of his career but that cuts both ways, he got more touches because he was the entire offense but he was the focus of the defense.

The only other RB I'd have in the discussion is Jim Brown and I never saw him play and won't begin to compare those eras of the NFL. So when I say the G.O.A.T., I refer to the Super Bowl era NFL and I'd say there is no debate Jim Brown is the G.O.A.T. of the NFL's pre-Super Bowl era.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #47
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

I voted for Jim Brown.

9 NFL seasons = 9 Pro Bowls, 8 times selected 1st team All-Pro ( in '62 Brown had to settle for 2nd team All-Pro ); 3 time league MVP; averaged 5+ yards/carry and 100+ yds/gm for his career; retired while still in his prime as the NFL's all-time leading rusher, a record he held for 21 years...all this while never missing a single start.

Brown is not merely the greatest rb, he's the greatest player in NFL history.

Last edited by coogrfan; 06-16-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #48
MVP

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW McGraw
I like Walter Payton. He was just as consistent and durable as Emmit, but did it on really bad teams for a lot of his career. On top of that, he was just such a well rounded back. He really had no weakness in his game. He could get the tough yards. He was an awesome pass catcher.
Pretty much how I voted...even if it comes off as a homer pick. Plus Payton was even a back up on the QB roster.

I've only seen highlights of Brown who by the numbers makes a strong case but I just don't have enough to go on to personally say he's my favorite.

Was a big fan of Barry Saunders, just fun to watch... even if I'm more a D guy and playing agianst him must have been a nightmare.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »