Home

Bob Glauber: Packers president says development league could come with 18-game season

This is a discussion on Bob Glauber: Packers president says development league could come with 18-game season within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18
Bob Glauber: Packers president says development league could come with 18-game season

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...2-at-earliest/

http://twitter.com/BobGlauber/status/16321731706

As much as I dislike the idea and think its hypocritical based on all the measurements being taken to protect players on the field, it seems like this 18-game schedule is inevitable. However, according to some, that's not the only change that might come with two extra regular season games.

Toolbag Mike Florio over at PFT alludes to a Twitter post by Bob Glauber who says the NFL could adopt a developmental league as a measure to replace two lost preseason games.

I think it's interesting.

Football obviously isn't a sport like baseball, where guys don't hit their prime until their late-20's/early-30's. A minor league system is essential in baseball to develop talent after high school/college because players that young typically aren't ready for the big leagues. The NFL, however, often has players making great impacts right out of college. Some guys are playing at All-Pro levels before they're 26 years old. Plus, with the money these early picks are being paid, no one is going to want to spend millions upon millions of dollars so a guys can play in a developmental league for a year or two before hitting the main stage.

However, if rookie/draft salary slotting is introduced, it could change that mind set a bit. Players wouldn't be getting paid as much at the top of the draft and that would trickle down to the rest of the players, so GMs/owners might be more willing to send a guy to the developmental league.

I think if you had a developmental league with a season running for 12 weeks or so, running from the middle of summer into the first few weeks of the NFL season, it could help a bit. Guys you've drafted could play in the D-league before the real season. Younger players who haven't developed as much could play. Veterans coming off of injuries could play to try to get their game legs back.

It would be sweet if each team had its own D-league team, but I don't see that happening. That's a lot of money, and the league would be over-saturated with players that would never make the NFL.

Any thoughts on a developmental league? Do you think it could happen?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Bob Glauber: Packers president says development league could come with 18-game se

I always though of having "minor leagues", but I never really could get over the fact that NCAA Football is essentially this. I thik it would be good for like practice squad type guys, but in reality, how often would the NFL use this? It seems like a lot of money making these teams, paying something to the players, trying to get fan interest at least locally, when the talent level just isnt good cause if they were any better they would be on a roster
Old 06-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 62
Re: Bob Glauber: Packers president says development league could come with 18-game se

So it's be like NFL Summer League? With Draft picks, UFA's, and Practice Squad players.....sounds good to me. I doubt you'd want your rookies playing all summer, but it could be like the NBA where there are multiple sessions. For an example of a team who would want this, don't you think Denver would like to get Tim Tebow as many snaps as they can?
Old 06-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

I like it hopefully. It will extend the NFL season. The summer is brutal if your not a baseball fan.

edit: I meant I like the idea of a D-League not 18 regular season games.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

Last edited by da ThRONe; 06-17-2010 at 01:24 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #5
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

The UFL will be the NFL Minor League in a few years, if not sooner.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
MVP

sniperhare's Arena

OVR: 10

I'd love for the UFL to expand into a D League for the NFL. It could help with the development of many players that come from heavy college offenses to play games in a pro style before they count for real.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
MVP

jth1331's Arena

OVR: 4

I highly, highly doubt there would be a NFL Developmental league lasting through the summer. No way can a NFL player withstand a 10-15 week developmental league season, then go through preseason for a NFL team, then go through a regular season.
I like the thought of a NFL Developmental league, but I don't think its practical and as beneficial as some may think.
5 Heisman Trophy Winners
#1 in weeks ranked #1 in AP Poll
#1 in weeks ranked top 5 in AP Poll
#1 in wins/winning percentage since 1946
Oklahoma Sooners, Boomer Sooner!
Old 06-16-2010, 08:14 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Sandman42's Arena

OVR: 40

Heh, good to see I'm not the only who thinks Florio is a giant douche.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »