Home

Do you guys think its right to miss mini camp or money first?

This is a discussion on Do you guys think its right to miss mini camp or money first? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #9
Banned

Xaos's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Do you guys think its right to miss mini camp or money first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_OS
CJ2K should hold out? The man is pure, he doesn't play for the money, he plays to play.

Is that why he wants to get paid as much as Peyton Manning is going to get payed?
Old 06-20-2010, 01:45 PM   #10
In case you forgot...

mKoz26's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
CJ2K should hold out? The man is pure, he doesn't play for the money, he plays to play.
"Playing to play" doesn't exist anymore. People are greedy. CJ signed his contract and should abide by it, but he wants more.

@CDonkey26

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumy300
Yeah, she may be a bit of a beotch, but you get back to me when you find out a way to motorboat personality...
Old 06-22-2010, 07:19 PM   #11
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

I feel like a player like Hannesworth needs to be in camp.

I also feel like players like Chris Johnson who has far exceeded his contract should get a new one. As long as aging RB (in particular) can get cut when they start to underperform he needs to get his money up.

In this capless season I feel really bad for Vincent Jackson, he should've gotten his fat second contract, and now he has to play another year for a tender and could still be franchised next year.

So for me in I would agree with missing camp for two of the 3 examples listed above.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2010, 07:30 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
I feel like a player like Hannesworth needs to be in camp.

I also feel like players like Chris Johnson who has far exceeded his contract should get a new one. As long as aging RB (in particular) can get cut when they start to underperform he needs to get his money up.

In this capless season I feel really bad for Vincent Jackson, he should've gotten his fat second contract, and now he has to play another year for a tender and could still be franchised next year.

So for me in I would agree with missing camp for two of the 3 examples listed above.
I think that is a pretty fair assessment.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:52 PM   #13
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
It's not really an option. When you're the size he is, it's hard to stay conditioned.
They aren't doing conditioning at mini-camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos

The vibe I'm getting from NFL Insiders is mini-camps are more of a "Get acquainted, pick on the rookies, dust off the rust" type thing rather than what most of you guys think is serious practicing.
I was at a Steelers mini-camp for a day when I interned for a local TV station, and it's basically what you say it is. They run their routes full speed and all that, but the feeling is much more relaxed than, say, training camp.

Mini-camps consist of A LOT of coaching. I spent some time watching offensive linemen at that mini-camp and they went over initial steps for about 30 minutes, making sure the guards knew how to get around the center if they were trapping/pulling and that the center knew where to position himself, etc. Hines Ward coached up the WR's on foot positioning, route running, etc. This is the time they start to put in plays and make sure everyone has the fundamentals down.

I could see it being very unnecessary for a veteran who has been in the same system for a few years. I mean, Hines Ward wasn't even in uniform. He coached the WR's in individual drills before talking to a young cancer patient who was spending her "Make a Wish Day" with the Steelers while the offense ran plays against the defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaduck
Tell that to Domenik Hixon.
That was a freak accident from all accounts and had nothing to do with how hard they go at mini-camp. He got his foot caught in the turf, it seems.

Last edited by bgeno; 06-22-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #14
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

LOL @ this thread:

Haynesworth is under contract, and a very VERY lucrative one...so he should be at minicamp.

Revis is vastly underpaid and has every right to skip, just like CJ in TEN too.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:59 AM   #15
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH3
LOL @ this thread:

Haynesworth is under contract, and a very VERY lucrative one...so he should be at minicamp.

Revis is vastly underpaid and has every right to skip, just like CJ in TEN too.
I agree that guys like Revis and CJ are underpaid, however just a year ago when they were busy being happy to get a check at all, they really should've leaned on their agent to work out a better deal then. CJ, for example, can scream all he wants but they can't give him more than a 30% raise which would make him... slightly less underpaid. That's my problem with it all. If you believe you're as good as all the talk BEFORE you play then get more money out of them up front. You're not going to get the $100 mil silliness that Revis is talking but it also wouldn't appear so crazy that "great player x" is only getting paid y.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #16
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
I agree that guys like Revis and CJ are underpaid, however just a year ago when they were busy being happy to get a check at all, they really should've leaned on their agent to work out a better deal then. CJ, for example, can scream all he wants but they can't give him more than a 30% raise which would make him... slightly less underpaid. That's my problem with it all. If you believe you're as good as all the talk BEFORE you play then get more money out of them up front. You're not going to get the $100 mil silliness that Revis is talking but it also wouldn't appear so crazy that "great player x" is only getting paid y.
Is Revis on a rookie contract?

I think it's completely different for guys stuck on rookie contracts. If you outperform your rookie deal, like CJ has, you should be allowed to demand more money. Even though rookie deals aren't technically "slotted," the pay you get is often determined by the pay of the picks ahead of you, so you might not get what you deserve.

Someone like Andre Johnson, though, who wanted more money a year or two into a long-term deal, is ridiculous. Sign a better deal if you want more money.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »