Home

Chris Henry found to have had brain damage.

This is a discussion on Chris Henry found to have had brain damage. within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-28-2010, 05:34 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: Chris Henry found to have had brain damage.

I think better helmets are the key, a better shock absorbent material, maybe nano-particles or some other high tech material. I'm sure if the NFL invested in some R&D, it could come up with something.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

The most logical solution is developing a better helmet. I mean it would be a big blow to the NFL if they limit "how to hit". It would just get to hard to control.

"Flag on the field................I think he hit him to hard. This is going to come back..................15 yard penalty on the field. Hitting to hurt"
Old 06-28-2010, 06:03 PM   #11
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
...it would be a big blow to the NFL if they limit "how to hit". It would just get to hard to control...
It wasn't too long ago when you saw guys actually try to wrap up the ball carrier instead of knocking the living *bleep* out of them.

In theory there could be a rule that forced defenders to try and actually make an attempt at a tackle...

But yeah that's not going to happen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2010, 06:04 PM   #12
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by spit_bubble
Some things that come to mind:

-Rule changes that de-emphasize hitting, and take into consideration head to head contact... Though this would obviously be a very dramatic change that I just don't see happening... At least with any real force.

-Reduce the number of games including preseason, add another bye week, limit hitting in practice... Anything to reduce exposure and allow healing.

-Mandatory Mark Kelso type helmets:

Yeah I don't even think the first option is worth mentioning (no offense of course, as you said it's not likely). The changes they've been making recently have come with a lot of criticism and many have the direct or indirect effect of making the game safer (depends on if you believe the conspiracy theorists or not... I'm on the fence).

I think the number of games is more realistic but I'm pretty sure that's out too since they're now talking about ADDING games. I also don't know how much that would help since this would be a problem that could occur with any individual hit as well as multiple hits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spit_bubble
Also maybe have weight limits on players???

I don't know what they are saying are the main contributors to this problem... But some of the linemen in today's game, when compared to years past, are just absurd.
I actually think this could do a lot of good for the game, even though it'd put a lot of people out of jobs. The problem here is we're talking about a WR right now. I'm sure any issues he's had didn't come from the guys on the line, but guys that would surely fall under whatever weight limit they'd think of.

I also don't know about the helmet idea. Just a guess, but I would think the whiplash effect and shots to the chin can't be protected with a new helmet without losing a ton of mobility and visibility.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:24 PM   #13
NYG_Meth

VanCitySportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 23

I think it's scary they found brain damage in a young WR. While this should be a red flag for the NFL and its player, I don't see any major changes.

There are big incentives for players to play through concussions. If ypu're a bubble player, you're not likely to tell your coaches because you might get cut/lose your place on the roster. There's also peer pressue of not wanting to be labelled as "soft".

There's not much you can do to prevent head injuries in contact football.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #14
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

I think what the NFL needs to do is officially use the helmets being used in college which measures the impact on the brain and such during games. There are things such as micro concussions and these helmets would go a long way towards making the medical staffs on teams telling coaches that they have to take out a player during a game etc etc.

I also think some modification on hitting should be applied as well as 25 years ago you saw guys actually TACKLING rather then hurling each other at an ungodly speed.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 06-28-2010, 07:10 PM   #15
Rookie

Shawnj86's Arena

OVR: 16

Wow
I saw it on espn but I had to leave for work
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2010, 10:16 PM   #16
Pro

OVR: 11

I'm not really sure you guys are taking into account just how much the players are just going to love the NFL telling them they can't hit at full speed.

It's their choice for football to be their careers.. they know the risks. It's already hard enough for defenders to change their body's position in a split second so they don't hit someone in the head and get flagged for it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »