Home

Moving the Super Bowl to Saturday

This is a discussion on Moving the Super Bowl to Saturday within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #49
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Moving the Super Bowl to Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
You say you don't see how it benefits the fans but then you contradict yourself right after by saying it will allow us to get ****faced and have Sunday to recover...lol..just saying..
I know you're semi-joking, but I don't know anyone that gets absolutely hammered for the Super Bowl anymore unless their team is playing in it. I definitely don't know anyone that calls out of work the following Monday. I admit it is better for the fans, but it's not a huge deal IMO.

"Let's move it to Saturday so everyone can get drunk!" haha. I just don't buy the league using that logic to do anything.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 06-30-2010, 01:20 PM   #50
Banned

OVR: 62

Not to mention the amount of flack the NFL would catch from groups like MADD if they moved the Super Bowl so people could drink more. It'd be a PR nightmare.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #51
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggins
Nah, it is entirely possible you'd get more people watching it on a Saturday.
How? That's not really an argument. I understand it's an opinion but you can't be surprised that others aren't buying it without anything else.

Quote:
If more people are planning private parties and more people are going out to bars and restaurants due to the day change because they don't have to work the next day then I don't see how you guys are saying that you won't get more people watching it. And more people watching it is good for the NFL no matter how you slice it.

And to come at this from another angle...as has been stated, alot of folks who watch now only watch half and then leave to go home due to work the next day. If people watch the entire game and it's a thrilling game then there is always the potential for new football fans. So that's two reasons why it's better for the NFL, more eyes on the game and more eyes overall on the entire game...
Honestly, I don't know about your town man, lol. There are SB parties everywhere already. The people that would go out to bars on Saturday are the ones that currently go to these parties on Sunday. Where are the "more" people coming from? Anyone who is a fan of the NFL is watching the SB... period. The casual fans and women that go to these parties currently would not go as much if it's on a Saturday, just like Cebby said. They'd do something else. Of course, the game would be on at a bar just like it already is on Sunday. That doesn't give the NFL more money. In fact, that takes eyes away from the commercials which means advertising dollars which means less money for the NFL.

I have no idea who these people are that leave at halftime but I promise you they wouldn't be glued to a tv on Saturday if they don't care enough to watch the entire game in the first place. I just don't know where these new fans are coming from that you're talking about. The SB isn't hurting for viewership.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2010, 01:25 PM   #52
MVP

drae2's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
I am not.

There is not a single major television event on Saturday. There are a lot of them on Sunday.

I've missed Auburn games the last two years because I was going out. If I'm missing Auburn games, do you really think the average female or peripherally interested guy is going to stay in and watch something they only kind of care about?

The fact that people have to go to work the next day is the primary appeal of putting a show on a Sunday night.

That's not true.

Individual television show ratings have been getting worse over the last 30 years but that's to be expected.

Most people went from a dozen channels to 300+. Now you don't even have to watch shows when they air because you can watch them the next day on hulu or on demand.
There is not a a single major event on a Saturday? Ever heard of The Final Four? But I do understand the reasons for making it on a Saturday. Most employers would love it. Less call offs. Most bars would love it. More people at the bars, and it's on a Saturday night, too? This could be a coup for the economy.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:26 PM   #53
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

More people would come from the fact that they wouldn't have to work the next day. I've said that many times in my arguments but you keep ignoring that. I know that myself and my friends do not go to parties because of work the next day. We all would, or the majority of us would, if we had the next day off of work. The only time I would take the day off of work to watch the Super Bowl at a party would be if my team were playing in it.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:41 PM   #54
Rookie

OVR: 2

As a European fan, moving the the Superbowl to Saturday would be brilliant. Superbowl finishes at 4am and getting up for school in the morning is terrible. It might even make the game more popular in Europe because its on a Saturday.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:52 PM   #55
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

That's a great point Shazor, I hadn't thought of that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2010, 01:58 PM   #56
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
More people would come from the fact that they wouldn't have to work the next day. I've said that many times in my arguments but you keep ignoring that. I know that myself and my friends do not go to parties because of work the next day. We all would, or the majority of us would, if we had the next day off of work. The only time I would take the day off of work to watch the Super Bowl at a party would be if my team were playing in it.
I just don't think it's a valid point. You and your friends watch the game so you're not a "new" viewer. You still haven't listed anyone that would watch the game that currently doesn't. They don't care whether or not you watch it at a bar or a party... that's an argument for your personal enjoyment, not the NFL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazor4
As a European fan, moving the the Superbowl to Saturday would be brilliant. Superbowl finishes at 4am and getting up for school in the morning is terrible. It might even make the game more popular in Europe because its on a Saturday.
Now that is a good point and something the NFL would consider... don't know how much though, but that's probably more of what this thought is about than anything.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »