Home

Cold Water: The 49ers Will Not Win the West

This is a discussion on Cold Water: The 49ers Will Not Win the West within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-24-2010, 12:13 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Cold Water: The 49ers Will Not Win the West

The only way I can see the Niners blowing this playoff opportunity is if Leinart delivers for the Cards and Whisenhunt gets the defense and running game going. I could definitely see Beanie Wells having a breakout year and there is a decent amount of talent on that defense. If Dan Williams pans out and becomes their franchise NT, there might not be a better D-line in the league. Plus the secondary looks good on paper: DRC, Adrian Wilson, and Kerry Rhodes all have nice complementary skills.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:57 PM   #10
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31

To the NFC West, except for the Rams, I see it as pretty wide open. There's a lot of variables for the Seahawks, Niners, and Cards, and the schedules of each. Honestly, I can't even pick a winner...might as well flip a three-sided coin.

To the Niners vs Seahawks game in Week 1. Yes, Qwest Field should be an advantage, as we fans are very excited with the new regime, and it feels like we have a new team. It's all very fresh. In our preseason games so far, both 1st units have started slow, but turn it around after a series or two and play decently well.

It's hard to base much off of preseason because it's more about evaluating individuals than running actual schemes, so I don't know what we have yet as a team.

I've been a Seahawks fan since 1976...and I can't forsee what will happen in Week 1. The crowd MAY carry the team, but playing the 49ers the past couple of years is a hazardous affair (damn you, Gore! LOL). We are working on new offensive and defensive philosophies, lots of new players (and vets) learning these new systems, seeing what works and what doesn't. Our O-line is still iffy, we're a little questionable at LB for various reasons, we're still unremarkable at RB....and we go as Matt Hasselbeck goes.

On the plus side, we have an infusion of youth, excitement, energy, hope, nothing to lose (rebuilding year), home crowd, much better playcalling in Bates at OC, and the players are buying in to Carroll.

The Niners win the west? Well, I think your QB situation and OL situation will dictate largely how things go. Gore staying healthy, Crabtree coming on in his second season, defense stepping up (as long as they don't get left on the field too long by the offense; Seattle knows ALL about this from the past few years!). You guys aren't planning on starting Mays?

For us...I'll be ecstatic this year just to see forward motion and see the pieces start coming together, to set us up for next season and the season after. I also need to see if Whitehearst will be our future QB or if we need to address QB of the future in next draft (I'd rather it be Charlie, so we can focus on other needs in the draft, like a premiere DE and good RT).

If we make the playoffs, I'll consider it a bonus and good experience for our rookies. If not, as long as play hard every week and I see players and systems develop and not go in reverse, I can live with 8-8 or 7-9.

OS Dibs: Anna Kendrick

Elite Dangerous on One X has become my life.

Proud PS5 and Xbox Series X Owner
"Best of Both Worlds"
Old 08-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #11
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

The NFC West has been pretty consistently weak for the past few years even with being able to send 2 representatives to the SB (Cards & Seahawks). At this point, it'll be whoever backs in for the division crown more than anything else.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2010, 03:39 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 55

The 49ers are a lock to win that division. A lock!
Old 08-24-2010, 04:03 PM   #13

SouthernBrick's Arena

OVR: 42

Either the Cards or 49ers is going to win that division. I'm going with the 49ers. Gut feeling says 49ers so I'm sticking with it. I can see the 49ers on hard knocks next year to.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:44 PM   #14
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

The Cardinals look horrible without Warner and that division is so bad that it's not going to take much to win it.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 08-24-2010, 05:04 PM   #15
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBrick
Either the Cards or 49ers is going to win that division. I'm going with the 49ers. Gut feeling says 49ers so I'm sticking with it. I can see the 49ers on hard knocks next year to.
I can't see Sing agreeing to that.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2010, 11:43 PM   #16
Train Nsane or remainsame

Feared's Arena

OVR: 18

Honestly when I look at the NFC West I see a Division where the top team does no better then 8-8. So like others have said it won't take much to win that Division, especially with the Cardinals losing Warner, and Boldin.. sure Seattle looks like they are starting to get some pieces in place but we've yet to see the Carroll regime in action...

I wouldn't discount the 49ers winning that Division before the season begins but yes even if they do make the playoffs I don't see them going that far but eh once you reach that point it's anything goes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »