Home

Clay F'n Matthews!

This is a discussion on Clay F'n Matthews! within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-23-2010, 09:42 AM   #41
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: Clay F'n Matthews!

He needs a haircut

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2010, 10:25 PM   #42
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcurtain311
If you're going purely off of statistics. Stats don't show what Polamalu actually does. Unless you want to look at the Steelers defense last season, statistically, without Polamalu. Or how many games they won. He's one of the best defensive players ever, there aren't many guys who have the impact he does on a game. He could have 2 tackles and nothing else in a game, and still be highly effective.

The way you broke this down, ties in with my point. The real "overreacting" here, is to the stats.

Why would you get "hot and bothered" by it? If you consider Clay Matthews to be on the level of a Troy Polamalu, then I don't know what to tell you. There's no insult there to Matthews. When it comes to the best 3-4 pass rushers in the league, he's not there yet. I'm not grouping him with the best based off of the small dose of him, that's all I said. And that I want to see what he does when teams start focusing more on him. If he's getting 6 sacks in two straight games in weeks 10 and 11, then we'll see.
Please read ANY of my posts and find where I said he is on the level of Troy. PLEASE for the love of god find ANYTHING ANYWHERE on this forum where I said he is on the same level of Troy.

PLEASE find ANYWHERE on here where I said he was one of the best 3-4 Pass Rushers in the league.

Again, nobody has crowned him anything after 2 weeks but yet you get bothered by the fact that somebody made a thread acknowledging how he's looked SO FAR. Tell you what, I'll go ahead and make a Troy Polomalu Thread for you so we can all see his greatness and that way you can stop bitching about any Steeler players that get left off when folks are talking about who the best players at their positions are.

You're arguing stuff that hasn't even been said by me on here. My god man...
Old 09-23-2010, 10:26 PM   #43
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggins
He needs a haircut
I'll be sure to pass this along. Anything else?
Old 09-23-2010, 10:35 PM   #44
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

Steelcurtain, just stop. It's like you get offended when a defensive player thread is made that acknowledges a players skills that isn't someone from the Steelers. This thread is about Clay Matthews. Not Troy Polamalu. I don't know why you're bringing Troy into this discussion. Everyone realizes how good Troy P is. There's no reason to talk about him. It's like creating a thread named Peyton Manning is good. Nah really? Grass is also green.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 09-23-2010, 11:37 PM   #45
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Clay Matthews ain't got nothin on Aaron Kampman
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2010, 11:49 PM   #46
MVP

chicubsfan20's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcurtain311
If you're going purely off of statistics. Stats don't show what Polamalu actually does. Unless you want to look at the Steelers defense last season, statistically, without Polamalu. Or how many games they won. He's one of the best defensive players ever, there aren't many guys who have the impact he does on a game. He could have 2 tackles and nothing else in a game, and still be highly effective.

The way you broke this down, ties in with my point. The real "overreacting" here, is to the stats.

Why would you get "hot and bothered" by it? If you consider Clay Matthews to be on the level of a Troy Polamalu, then I don't know what to tell you. There's no insult there to Matthews. When it comes to the best 3-4 pass rushers in the league, he's not there yet. I'm not grouping him with the best based off of the small dose of him, that's all I said. And that I want to see what he does when teams start focusing more on him. If he's getting 6 sacks in two straight games in weeks 10 and 11, then we'll see.
You're beating around the bush man. First you mention how Polamalu has good stats.

After I give evidence of his good stats (no sarcasm) and how there's other players doing the same, you go on to say stats aren't him. How do you know for the sake of these other DB's that, with all these stats, they aren't shutting down #1 receivers (a la like Revis).

Truth is, most voters for DPOTY aren't going to go based off how a guy does for his team if the stats aren't there. If that's the case, Johnny Jolly should of won it. That guy never had the stats of a true star, but majority of Packer fans will tell you that guy is a vital key to our defensive line.

Polamalu is good, and for 2 games has GOOD stats. But it's not exactly attention-grabbing because there is a few players with similar stat lines. Matthews has a ridiculous 6 sacks (a pace I doubt he'll keep up the entire year). But maybe by seasons end Polamalu stats look even more better because he has shown he can play at this high level, and the others don't keep up with him statistically that have similar stat lines.

I firmly do not believe Matthews should be considered at the "elite" level just yet. But it is undeniable that he is starting to play at an elite level. If he can keep it up, he'll be in the elite category. Only time will tell.
MLB: Chicago Cubs

Last edited by chicubsfan20; 09-23-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:14 AM   #47
Gatekeeper

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by z Revis
Steelcurtain, just stop. It's like you get offended when a defensive player thread is made that acknowledges a players skills that isn't someone from the Steelers. This thread is about Clay Matthews. Not Troy Polamalu. I don't know why you're bringing Troy into this discussion. Everyone realizes how good Troy P is. There's no reason to talk about him. It's like creating a thread named Peyton Manning is good. Nah really? Grass is also green.
Reminds me of a certain other Steeler fan who used to run around here with a hard on for Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. They were frauds and Big Ben was the only legit QB.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:15 AM   #48
Dog
aka jnes12/JNes__

Dog's Arena

OVR: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Reminds me of a certain other Steeler fan who used to run around here with a hard on for Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. They were frauds and Big Ben was the only legit QB.

I hate clowns like that

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »