Home

Week 3: Falcons @ Saints

This is a discussion on Week 3: Falcons @ Saints within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-22-2010, 09:40 PM   #9
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Week 3: Falcons @ Saints

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
If Payton doesn't commit to running the ball. We will continue to struggle with teams.
I don't know why you keep complaining about Payton not running the ball. The first game the receivers were destroying the Vikings but they couldn't get touchdowns and he ran the ball for almost the whole second half. In the last game he pretty much just ran the ball after finding out that the wind wouldn't let them throw downfield.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 09-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #10
Burrow Club

Watson's Arena

OVR: 49

If we play like **** again, I move that Jmood start all saints threads from here on out. No offense to any other Saints fans, but he is the OS Resident Saints fan.

just a thought.

@AdamdotH
Old 09-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55
If Matt Ryan didn't completely suck on the road, the Falcons could have a chance. Too bad he does so they don't.

Saints win big.
He played pretty good against the Steelers, at home, which is a top defense. Didn't translate to points, but he moved the ball well and did a more than passable job at beating their blitzes.

I keep waiting for the Saints offense to explode with a 40 point game or something, I suppose it could be the week. Falcons defense doesn't seem too bad, though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2010, 11:59 AM   #12
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
I don't know why you keep complaining about Payton not running the ball. The first game the receivers were destroying the Vikings but they couldn't get touchdowns and he ran the ball for almost the whole second half. In the last game he pretty much just ran the ball after finding out that the wind wouldn't let them throw downfield.
Because it is the balance that made us a superbowl team.

In the Vikings game it was running the ball that allowed us to win. When his play call was pass happy we were losing. So I dont see how you can support your agruement bringing up the Vikings game.

It's not always how many times you attempt a rush it's when. I would make a point that there were some plays in the 9ers game where the down and distance, and the fact that their defense was expecting pass that we should have ran the ball. The 9ers were over aggressive in there pass rush and was screaming to have a draw play called against them but we never ran the draw.

Last year Payton play calling was superb. This year so far its been predictable and pass heavy. On top of being balanced running the ball keeps our offense on the field and the opposing team offense on the side line. Our defense isnt a stonewall hold'em defense. It's a aggressive force turnovers defense. When we have no balance we force our defense to stay on the field too long.

This is why running the ball is so important for the Saints to be a title contender again. If it wasnt for some fluke plays we lose that game to the 9ers.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #13

jmood88's Arena

I never said anything about how passing all the time is good, I said that he has been running the ball the past two games. You seem to have forgotten that last year there were plenty of games where the offense passed way more than they ran, until they got a big enough lead and Payton decided to run.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 09-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #14
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
I never said anything about how passing all the time is good, I said that he has been running the ball the past two games. You seem to have forgotten that last year there were plenty of games where the offense passed way more than they ran, until they got a big enough lead and Payton decided to run.
Once again its not always how many times it's when that keeps a team balanced. You seem to have forgotten that we used the run to set up the pass in a lot of our blow outs last year also. I dont see the playcalling being strung together well at all so far. It's pass pass pass til the pass doesnt work than run a few times til that doesnt work than pass pass pass again then run to try and ice the game. I want us to run for balance and to through the defense off ,slow down teams pass rush ,and to dictate to the defense what coverage they can run. Instead of running simply because passing isnt working at that time.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

Last edited by da ThRONe; 09-23-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:53 PM   #15

jmood88's Arena

I don't know what you've been watching but the Vikings game was all pass at first because it was successful and he never called that many passes in a row against the 49ers. You need to watch the 49ers game again cause he was constantly trying to run the ball.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2010, 10:22 PM   #16
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33

Yeah payton tried to run the ball against the 49ers it just wasn't working all that well, 2nd half of the game he pretty much replaced the running plays with screens that were generally successful. Against the vikes the passing was working they just werent giving the offense any deep plays down the field after the 1st drive, payton went to the running game the 2nd half and stuck with it cause it was really productive. When he gets pass happy it's normally cause it's working for us in the game and why not we have one of the best QB's in the league, really hard to question the playcalling of a coach when he just won a super bowl and has one of the best QB's in the league whatever they want to do is generally gonna be the right choise.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »