Home

Carson Palmer

This is a discussion on Carson Palmer within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22
Carson Palmer

I like Carson Palmer but the last few years he seems to have lost his magic. He looks lost way too much and his throwing the ball he is off target a lot. Ever since the injury he's been a different player. Do you think he will ever regain his pro bowl playoff form? Or is it something else. His receivers or maybe his coaches that's causing him to struggle lately?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
In Dalton I Trust

Buckeyes_Doc's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Carson Palmer

He will never get back to his Pro Bowl status. The Bengals went out this offseason and got him weapons, and he still can't do anything. He constantly misses open recievers and just doesn't look confident in the pocket anymore. I do not put any blame on the coaches or recievers, he has talent around him. The Bengals need to start looking at the future, we need a QB. Our defense is good, but I think Palmer will hold the Bengals back from getting deep into the playoffs or maybe into the playoffs at all.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
We Spent Some Money!

ZM Punk's Arena

OVR: 32

Palmer is nothing more than your run of the mill QB now and that will not change. The Bengals win in spite of Carson now, not because of him.

Adolphus Washington-Ohio State Freshman
Old 09-30-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Let me be the first to say that there look like something just isn't there; missed passes, bad reads, etc. But I'm not ready to say that he's simply lost it. Let me see how things line up at the end of the season. Carson is a guy that needs time on task. He can't show up like Favre and turn anonymous guys into pro bowlers. He needs bonafide weapons and he needs reps with them.

Now, if you are referring to the knee injury as the culprit, I disagree. That's the common refrain from all the experts when the truth is that he was right back on the field for the start of the next season, put up a Pro Bowl season, and was named MVP of that game.

Post Knee Injury 2006

62.3 comp.% 4035 yds. 28 Tds. 13 Int. 93.9 Qb Rating

There are a myriad of reason for his struggles from the ever-evolving offensive system that shifted from a vertical passing offense to run heavy last year, to confused this year, the offensive line which is great at run blocking but struggles when it comes time to step back and pass block (RT being a huge culprit), the loss of TJ which even I underestimated, to the elbow which I think is the injury that everyone should be referencing when they talk about him losing his form.

Maybe the biggest reason, beyond even TJ could be Chris Henry, the one truly scary receiver that was on the roster last year and one of the best football players I have ever seen in person and I played with a few guys that went to the NFL. I wound up going out to watch training camp a few years in a row, and I have never seen a guy in person that made the game look as effortless as Chris Henry; big, fluid, fast, and his body control was amazing. Everyone talks about the subpar last season, but Carson was actually off to a good start until Henry went down against the Ravens. That was the moment they became easier to defend. From that point on the offense turned into run, run, pass, because he had no one to get down the field.

Here's what he looked like in the last full game that he played with Henry, against the Bears where it looked like the offense was hitting its stride.

Note the velocity and the perfect ball placement. I don't think that simply goes away in the space of a year. I could be wrong, but like I said, let me see how they look by the end of the year.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...mer-highlights

Last edited by Senator Palmer; 09-30-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37

Carson Palmer looks exactly like the QB I thought he'd be this year.

Unfortunately for both Bengals fans and NFL fans, Palmer looks like he'll never regain that form that he had.

Urban Meyer is lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 17

I never really thought it was the injury. He seems to throw fine in terms of strength, his timing and accuracy (and decision making) have been horrendous the past few seasons. He never seems like he's on the same page as his receivers.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:33 AM   #7
All Star

WWF80sKid's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyes_Doc
He will never get back to his Pro Bowl status. The Bengals went out this offseason and got him weapons, and he still can't do anything. He constantly misses open recievers and just doesn't look confident in the pocket anymore. I do not put any blame on the coaches or recievers, he has talent around him. The Bengals need to start looking at the future, we need a QB. Our defense is good, but I think Palmer will hold the Bengals back from getting deep into the playoffs or maybe into the playoffs at all.
I agree 100%. Not sure why we aren't looking for a better QB. I don't think any of the QBs we have are that good at all.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #8
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_GoBlue
I agree 100%. Not sure why we aren't looking for a better QB. I don't think any of the QBs we have are that good at all.
I know Palmer isn't the best, but QBs don't exactly grow on trees.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »