Home

Doug Gottlieb vs. Jim Mora Jr. LOL

This is a discussion on Doug Gottlieb vs. Jim Mora Jr. LOL within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-02-2010, 10:12 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: Doug Gottlieb vs. Jim Mora Jr. LOL

Perhaps if I never heard Gottlieb on a semi-consistent basis, I would have sided with him - maybe. But, hearing his body of work outside of the realm of College Basketball, this pretty much confirms my prior thoughts of his idiocy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2010, 09:26 AM   #26
MVP

OVR: 27

Well, there is a better way to handle yourself in public than Mora did there. It really doesn't matter if the questions weren't up to his own standards, that's not a legitimate excuse to act that way on TV where the whole world can see how you behave. Like I've said before, everything Gottlieb asked has been asked before countless times by ESPN personalities in similar ways and the only other guy I've watched blow up is Marshall Faulk who is another hot-head. Every question could've been answered in a more diplomatic way. What benefit did getting mean give him?

This isn't Mora's first time doing that sort of thing either, and I have to suspect some of this is why he's out of the league. He clearly has no sense of how these things affect public perception of him, a perception that already wasn't good to begin with. Now he just shows himself as a hot-head again. He's not helping himself.

Last edited by TheWatcher; 10-03-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:42 AM   #27
Banned

OVR: 17

Sorry but I gotta disagree. Just because it's common place for media types to conduct their interviews in a disrespectful fashion doesn't make it right. Always being diplomatic just enables the media to continue acting the way they do. I love it when coaches treat these guys like the idiots they are. Coaches like Ditka and Parcells commanded respect. To me, that's the way it's done.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:00 PM   #28
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
Sorry but I gotta disagree. Just because it's common place for media types to conduct their interviews in a disrespectful fashion doesn't make it right. Always being diplomatic just enables the media to continue acting the way they do. I love it when coaches treat these guys like the idiots they are. Coaches like Ditka and Parcells commanded respect. To me, that's the way it's done.
Jim Mora Jr.'s not a coach anymore. He's a twice fired--and justifiably fired I might add--unemployed EX-coach. Jim Mora Jr didn't command any respect with this. Gaining respect is not about being the bigger jerk. He just made himself look like a disgruntled ex-employee of the NFL who can't keep his emotions in check in situations that don't even call for a blow-up or an out of pocket comment.

We can't forget that his history shows he's had a big problem with this in the past (he lost his job in ATL because of his inability to keep his mouth shut during a public interview). He ran his mouth then and look where it got him. It looks like he hasn't grown from it one bit. In Ditka and Parcells' case, I remember situations where they had been antagonized by being asked the same question over and over again even after stating they weren't speaking on the issue anymore... through multiple interviews. At least there was more of a plausible reason there, plus Parcells and Ditka's voices are respected because they got it done in the league for a long time and were part of legendary teams. Mora was just a flash in the pan.

As far as Doug, I don't think Doug was being disrespectful at all, I think that's a big exaggeration. His questions may not have been the best, but that doesn't equal disrespect. It wasn't like he brought Mora on to grill him on his NFL failures. The only thing that could even be considered close to touchy was his comment about Vick playing better maybe being something that would have kept Mora's job in ATL. Well, Jim needs to suck it up because Doug was probably right. But regardless, it was obvious that Doug wasn't trying to be disrespectful by saying that, and that sort of stuff is said all the time between ex-players and coaches on football pre-game shows every week (i.e. comments like that have been made to Jimmy Johnson on FOX about maybe winning in Miami if he had a running game, and to Mike Ditka on ESPN about the same if he could've kept Ricky Williams' head right). We've yet to see either of those guys blowing up over it live on national TV.

There is a professional way to handle something and then there is Jim Mora's Jr.'s way. I wouldn't recommend anyone to follow his way, because not only was he not successful long-term but he's out of the league and his reputation is mud. There is a reason for that, and I question the character of any supposed leader who can't control his emotions--especially in public of all places--over something that was really nothing.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #29
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
I guess I'm the only one who feels like Mora was being a super dick?
He was but at the same time it was a d*** move to say "you might still be coach". I'm sure the majority of NFL coaches are sensitive when it comes to losing their jobs. Normal people get fired everyday but they don't have to hear about it on the news, internet, etc...

More could have handled it better but I think Gottlieb was in the wrong first here and I'm a fan of his when it comes to CBB.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:14 PM   #30
MVP

Mora is totally removed from his situation now by over a year, he was talking to a guy over the phone about another situation, yet he blows his top over what was nothing more than a softball question? That's ridiculous. I guess since he can't get a job in the NFL and he's a "reporter" now, that he can condescend to people on live TV who do it for a living. The guy is a jerk.

And as far as Mora's firings being rehashed in some way, again, he needs to suck it up. You have to know going into any job where the public can scrutinize you that this comes with the territiory. If a person can't handle it, then they should consider another field. Not that it matters because a person won't last long doing what Mora does anyway, and lo and behold Mora didn't last long.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:47 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 17

We'll have to agree to disagree. But to me, while i'm no big fan of Mora, at least he achieved the position of being an NFL head coach. That alone should command respect and civility at the very least from these pencil pushing media clowns.....who, to me, are on the level of cockroaches when it comes to the sports industry pecking order. Mora should've simply replied "uh huh...and if you had any real talent to speak of you'd still be playing basketball".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2010, 11:00 PM   #32
All Star

DickDalewood's Arena

OVR: 36

Lol, I really don't get people backing Mora in this. Sure, Gottlieb's questions could have been worded better, but any idiot could have figured out what he was getting at. This reaction doesn't surprise me though, as this was the same head coach who used to sniff smelling salts on the sidelines with his players just to be "one of the guys"... yah, how'd that work out for ya?

He was a joke of a coach, and that interview right there showed us why... poor judgement. Even if I'm to believe that Gottlieb was in the wrong here with his questioning, a true leader, which GOOD coaches are, would have kept their cool and stayed professional. Mora acted like the childish lifetime assistant head coach that he has always been and always will be.

The guy's a complete douche.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »