Home

Week 4: 49ers @ Falcons

This is a discussion on Week 4: 49ers @ Falcons within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-04-2010, 03:51 AM   #41
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Week 4: 49ers @ Falcons

we don't defend him. We don't know what these coaches see in this guy. He's a coach killer.

NATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALEX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #42
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcurtain311
I don't know why Niners fans defend Smith. I get that he took a paycut and everything just to be there, but face the facts, the man is a backup. Nothing more. He's not going to take this team anywhere.
He's shown signs of talent is why some have defended him.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:04 PM   #43
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid
He's shown signs of talent is why some have defended him.
What he's shown is immense intelligence and leadership. What he hasn't shown is accuracy and patience.

He got a lot of crap for the Kansas City game, but he played fine. There wasn't anyone open downfield and he checked down when he needed too. He threw a stupid interception in this last game, but that's the exception rather than the rule... normally, his interceptions are a result of his accuracy, not his decision making.

When he does make stupid decisions, it's because he's rushed or feels rushed. That's a major problem... the line has been playing better than he's given it credit for. He's panicking in the pocket even when the pocket is holding, and that leads to bad decisions.

I guess the reason he's defended more than anything is that most of his problems are correctable, but he hasn't had a competent coaching staff to help with his mechanics or patience. He can learn to handle the rush, and I think he will over the course of this season. He can learn to keep the ball down... that, I don't know if he will do. If he doesn't get a handle on his wild passes, he'll continue to throw bad picks.

In other words; the tools are there, and the mind is there, but he has a lot of bad habits he needs to break.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 4

I don't know about defending AS but really, I ask the question again, what is the alternative? David Carr is the answer? Troy Smith?

We know what David Carr is all about. It's going to be not that much different than what is there right now with Alex. Troy is a bit more of an enigma but does he have the smarts and is that the kind of risk to take at 0-4?

I agree, I haven't seen anything other than a couple of starts over the course of several years now that says Alex should be and is capable of being the starter. He continues to turn the ball over, through directly his own fault or indirectly like the jump-quacker that he through to Gore that resulted in a tip pick.

That's why, in my mind, a totally stinker season wouldn't be such a bad thing as there looks to be a couple potential starters coming up in this draft.

Then again, living in the GTA, there is no way that Ralph Wilson and the Buffalo Bills will pay anyone 1st round money so look to them to vacate that #1 spot if they end up with it as long as Ralph Wilson continues to own that team. He is 92 after all

"What I look forward to is continued immaturity followed by death"
-Dave Barry
Old 10-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #45
Banned

OVR: 17

It's not as if Smith is some new draftee or something. He's been in the league long enough now to have shown some production. I know there's the coordinator issues and everything, but how many years are you going to give the guy when he's not winning games? With the amount of time he's had, you should get a little more than "He's talented, he could be good, but isn't good."
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »