Home

Do you agree with Primetime on his position in the 100 Greatest Players list?

This is a discussion on Do you agree with Primetime on his position in the 100 Greatest Players list? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #25
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: Do you agree with Primetime on his position in the 100 Greatest Players list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW McGraw
Sanders could play in any era though. If you can shut down guys despite all these rules to help the offense, then you'll be shutting down guys when offensive linemen can't use their hands to block and WRs can get mauled all over the field. Even if you disregard the differences in schemes and athleticism, do you think Blount could run with WRs nowadays? His whole game was built around those rules that really helped defenses and hurt offenses.
Never said he couldn't play in that era. Although in that era CB's were defintitley expected to tackle and be able to play run force. As the pass to run ratio's and defenses were definitely different. Not sure how he would have done with that. Not a lot of no hit, cover only CB's in that era.

Absolutely Blount could play. And with Haynes? He could play in any era. I actually know him. Worked with him for years back in my Callaway days. I am a full 6'2". Haynes was easily an inch taller than me. To be as athletic, smooth and fast, and to be able to cover people with his length? I'd put Haynes against anyone.

Both were every bit as dominant against the pass as Sanders and neither shied away from contact.

Last edited by bkrich83; 10-16-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: Do you agree with Primetime on his position in the 100 Greatest Players list?

The great Mike Haynes......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvalMt4oYvg
Old 10-16-2010, 03:01 PM   #27
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Haynes came in to the league in 76. So no most of his career was not before the rule change. Blount changed the game. Don't see how Sanders is better. But it's all subjective.

Lott I said was a db I would rank higher.

Sanders personality is also why certain people forgive the holes in his game.
I never watched a tons of Mike Haynes. He came into the league when I was 6 years old.

Sanders personality hurt him more than it help him.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:02 PM   #28
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Top 5 player of all time doesn't have such a hole in his game.
Trust me, when the countdown winds down, Jim Brown, hole and all, will be in the Top 5, in all probability, #1.

Personally, I thought Deion would have been a little higher, somewhere in the mid to low 20s, but I can't gripe too much where he's at. I do however think that there shouldn't have been as much separation between Sanders and Woodson.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:04 PM   #29
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
I never watched a tons of Mike Haynes. He came into the league when I was 6 years old.

Sanders personality hurt him more than it help him.
If it wasn't for his personality he wouldn't be mentioned as much as he is. If he had Mike Haynes personality for as great as he was, people wouldn't talk about him with the same reverence. He knew that, he was always marketing himself. Sanders imo, is a complete tool, great player but a tool. That being said he's not dumb, he knew and knows what he is/was doing with all the bravado and shenanigans.

All that being said, he was a great player and I'd easily put him in the top 4 or 5 CB's of all time.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #30
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
Trust me, when the countdown winds down, Jim Brown, hole and all, will be in the Top 5, in all probability, #1.

Personally, I thought Deion would have been a little higher, somewhere in the mid to low 20s, but I can't gripe too much where he's at. I do however think that there shouldn't have been as much separation between Sanders and Woodson.
Brown will be #1 in all probability. . Is he #1? Imo, I am not sure, I never saw him play, and I really don't get the nuances of that era of football. For me the best player I have ever seen is Jerry Rice, but again that's purely subjective.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:06 PM   #31
MVP

sniperhare's Arena

OVR: 10

I think they should do lists based on different era's of the game. I don't like seeing players who are still playing compared to players from decades past.

Like if the Dolphins had whined to the NFL and got the rules changed like the Colts did Marino might have won a SB. Had he had won a SB he might have played longer and put up better stats.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2010, 03:17 PM   #32
Banned

Quote:
If it wasn't for his personality he wouldn't be mentioned as much as he is. If he had Mike Haynes personality for as great as he was, people wouldn't talk about him with the same reverence. He knew that, he was always marketing himself. Sanders imo, is a complete tool, great player but a tool. That being said he's not dumb, he knew and knows what he is/was doing with all the bravado and shenanigans.

All that being said, he was a great player and I'd easily put him in the top 4 or 5 CB's of all time.
Point taken, but I always liked Sanders persona. Sanders understood the nature of his position. The better you are the less people know about you. Primetime equals genius relative his income in and out of football.

Did Mr. Haynes get ranked in the top 100?

The best all around cb that is hardly mentioned is Aeneas Williams.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »