Home

League May Start Suspending Players For Illegal Hits

This is a discussion on League May Start Suspending Players For Illegal Hits within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #57
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: League May Start Suspending Players For Illegal Hits

I thought Robinson's hit was clean on Jackson. The other two were unnecessary. As for suspending the players, yeah, if its blatant enough, then okay maybe. I just feel like in football, **** happens. It's a brutal, brutal game.

Last edited by TheMatrix31; 10-18-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:56 PM   #58
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

I'd be easier to defend Harrison if he didn't have a reputation for playing dirty. I mean, he was flagged for a personal foul - punching a guy in the ribs - on the grandest of stages: the Super Bowl!

Anyway, back on topic, I agree with the whole suspensions idea. Money will never hurt a players wallet at the pro level but missing time on the field will. Much like in every other sport, a game's dynamic can be changed by the ejection or suspension of a player. Also, coaches will be upset players aren't playing smart but at the same time that'll reflect on the coach themselves: teach your players to play right and they won't make stupid mistakes and amass penalties.

On top of that, the sport of football is devolving in a sense. I liken this to the NBA of a couple years back: the game was getting so sloppy and so "street" because too many young players were coming into the league without the proper backlog of fundamental & skill building to the point where the rest of the world caught up with the USA in terms of basketball prowess. Furthermore, players were mainly going for the highlight reel plays instead of focusing on team play.

The same has happened with football; too much is being put on the sport to be high scoring, pass happy, offense-heavy, etc so that it appeals to the lowest common denominator of a fan. Until the sport of football on a whole decides to go back to fundamentals then you will continue to see sloppy play at all levels of the game.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:09 PM   #59
So long to a Legend.

ANDROMADA 1's Arena

OVR: 65

I see nothing wrong with the Harrison hit or the Robinson hit. Its part of the violence that is the NFL. Either they are playing football or they aren't. I also think the defensless receiver rule is bull as it was applied to the Robinson hit. I've never seen anybody get up in arms when Adrian Peterson smashes some poor defensless defensive back into the turf. And as far as tackling goes kids are taught from peewee to put your facemask into the other player, wrap them up and drive them back. At least that is the way I was taught. The only rule was NEVER lead with the crown of your helmet. Other than that there are way more injuries that occur from practice, running, etc. Getting hit is just one of the myriad of ways an NFL player can get hurt. Nobody likes to see a player get injured and at the same time nobody wants to see a watered down version of Pro football. There has to be some middle ground somewhere.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:10 PM   #60
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
Nope, this isn't some kind of conspiracy. Mohamad Massoquoi isn't some kind of star. Dunta Robinson got injured too. He injured himself. He may have serious brain problems in the future. Does that matter to you?
I don't mean who in the sense of their actual name star power. I mean who in the sense of what position it was. Wide Receiver. But Cribbs/Jackson are both name guys, if you wanted to argue that.

Robinson was the one who gave the hit. If he has brain problems because of that, why would it matter to me? It's not like somebody was holding a gun to his head demanding he deliver a huge hit.

Quote:
Another terrible assumption. None of the players injured were on my team. Perhaps... perhaps people care about the integrity of the game and the players. Maybe that is what is happening? But continue with your false rant...
The integrity of the game? I would bet you most defensive players believe suspending them for the hits they deliver would be detrimental to the integrity of the game. You're trying to be way too politically correct about this.

Quote:
You mad because James Harrison is the one under fire for this.
I'm mad because defense in general is under fire for this. I was mad when linemen started getting flags any time a breeze of wind touched Tom Brady. I was mad when DB's weren't allowed to touch receivers anymore. I'm certainly mad if players start getting suspended for taking away the middle of the field. That's moronic. It doesn't matter to me if it's Harrison, because this isn't going to change anything with the Steelers. They'll still play the same way they play, they'll still knock people around, because that's football. Ryan Clark was under fire for KO'ing Wes Welker two years ago. Didn't change the way he plays the game, and it sure as hell won't change the way James Harrison plays the game. Or the Baltimore Ravens defense. Suspend him and he'll just appeal it, and he'll win, and he'll come back and continue hitting people the same way.

Don't confuse yourselves and make it out like this is about safety. This is about the NFL being an offense-oriented league. If DeSean Jackson can't go across the middle for a 70 yard TD, who's going to be on the highlight reel?
Old 10-18-2010, 07:13 PM   #61
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
I'd be easier to defend Harrison if he didn't have a reputation for playing dirty. I mean, he was flagged for a personal foul - punching a guy in the ribs - on the grandest of stages: the Super Bowl!
I somehow doubt you would care to know, but Harrison smacked Francisco because the guy went at his knees. Harrison took offense to some scrub trying to injure him, so he reacted in the heat of the moment.

As for "dirty", let me know how many times he's been fined for hits throughout his career?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2010, 07:17 PM   #62
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwire
I somehow doubt you would care to know, but Harrison smacked Francisco because the guy went at his knees. Harrison took offense to some scrub trying to injure him, so he reacted in the heat of the moment.

As for "dirty", let me know how many times he's been fined for hits throughout his career?
lol, he just got one this year:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/S...e-Young-092210

Quote:
Robinson was the one who gave the hit. If he has brain problems because of that, why would it matter to me? It's not like somebody was holding a gun to his head demanding he deliver a huge hit.
The only reason he made a hit like that is because he's allowed to and some fans love to see people get hurt. Now he is injured and you get to see backups, and he may have problems in the future. I guess if you don't care about that, that is you, but I really don't like hearing about players committing suicide or having mental problems because of concussions, and it is only going to get worse.

Quote:
The integrity of the game? I would bet you most defensive players believe suspending them for the hits they deliver would be detrimental to the integrity of the game.
Marty Schottenheimer agrees with me. He has forgotten more about football than all the posters combined on this forum.

Quote:
You're trying to be way too politically correct about this.
Nah, I'm not really sure where this quote came from.

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS
Old 10-18-2010, 07:22 PM   #63
MVP

OVR: 12

Wow, one 5k body slam fine over the years means you have a "dirty" history?

Maybe you have the wrong Harrison in mind?
Old 10-18-2010, 07:32 PM   #64
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I read through most of the thread, and I think the hits in the three videos shown were all legal hits and no one should be fined for them. I am more of a defensive guy, so that may sway my opinion a little bit. But what is a player supposed to do? Yo don't know where the other players head is going to be in a second, so you can't really predict where to put your head. People are taught to put their head on the numbers of the ball carrier, but more and more players are now lowering their heads resulting in head to head collisions.

In the DeSean Jackson hit, I strongly disagree with the penalty. DeSean Jackson is a receiver and knows he may get hit when going up for a ball. Thats a part of the sport. What is the defender supposed to do? Does he wait for Jackson to catch it, turn around, pick p 5 yards, then tackle him? Or should he try to knock the piss out of the guy and force an incompletion? If you don't think he should do the latter, then you should just stop watching football.

Th only time I do not like players getting big hits is when the ball is clearly not catchable and the defender hit the WR who has taken the rest of the play off because the ball was nowhere near him. I don't like when a ball is tipped and there is no chance anyone can catch it, but the WR or DB will hit the WR or DB near them so they can't "make a great catch".

But if you are running with the ball or getting ready to catch one, then you have to know the defense is trying to take you down and create a turnover, break up a play, etc. I really don't think anyone is intentionally hitting other players in the helmet with their helmets, so these penalties should be called unless it is so evidently clear no one can defend the tackler, but I have really not seen a tackle like that in my life.

― Plato
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »