Home

Its about time they speak up about pass interference.

This is a discussion on Its about time they speak up about pass interference. within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-19-2010, 01:33 PM   #9
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Its about time they speak up about pass interference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z Revis
And that's why the College rule is terrible. It would've only been a 15 yard penalty in a situation that would've been a TD. You see it all the time in College, defenders just blatantly interfering because they know they're beat and it only gives them 15 yards.

It's a very subjective call. I personally think they should allow teams to review the penalty. I know you can't review penalties, but maybe the NFL can make this penalty eligible for review considering how subjective it is and the fact that PI calls are such huge penalties and can realistically turn a game around. I can't think of any better solution than that.
Imo, this is acceptble. I think of it like basketball. You don't give up an easy basket, foul them and make them earn it at the line. 15 yards and automatic first is damning to a defense but you live to fight another day. I'd rather see this than games decided on a refs judgement.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:50 PM   #10
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

A thread like this pops up every single week. They get the call right most of the time. Everyone overreacts due to one play. It's fine the way it is. College should change their rule. I will post the same exact thing in next week's knee-jerk thread.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:33 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

Its a problem when receivers are constantly looking back at referees whenever they didn't catch the ball.

I wouldn't be surprised if teams started practicing how to draw interference calls. The penalty is too servere and could kill a game all on its own.

15 yards automatic 1st down sounds about right.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2010, 04:41 PM   #12
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Go back to the original rules that were changed right after the Pats-Colts AFC Title game. But of course that would mean more Defense and people don't like seeing teams play Good D because it doesn't equal $$$.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I agree PI needs to be changed. I like the idea of making it a 15 yrd penalty instead of spot of the foul. Deep route underthrows shouldn't get the call at all imo.

Maybe they could also change it to only be called when the ball is clearly catchable? The PI call at the end of the Minny/Dallas game is what I'm talking about here. It would've taken a miracle for the wr to pull that ball in anyways and the contact was fairly minor. I hate to see a game decided that way and then seeing the qb with both hands raised like he just threw an incredible td just makes it worse.
Problem is this means the DB can and will do whatever they can to stop deep routes.

Here is what they should do, look at it again. I don't understand why penalties like that aren't reviewable. Refs make mistakes afterall.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:35 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 7

Streak under throws should not be pass interference, this alone would be a big improvement, and it will be fair to the db imo.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:37 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
I agree PI needs to be changed. I like the idea of making it a 15 yrd penalty instead of spot of the foul. Deep route underthrows shouldn't get the call at all imo.

Maybe they could also change it to only be called when the ball is clearly catchable? The PI call at the end of the Minny/Dallas game is what I'm talking about here. It would've taken a miracle for the wr to pull that ball in anyways and the contact was fairly minor. I hate to see a game decided that way and then seeing the qb with both hands raised like he just threw an incredible td just makes it worse.
I have to admit the PI call at the end of the Dallas game was a good call, because Jenkins pulled the man down. And Dallas is my favorite team.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #16
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Imo, this is acceptble. I think of it like basketball. You don't give up an easy basket, foul them and make them earn it at the line. 15 yards and automatic first is damning to a defense but you live to fight another day. I'd rather see this than games decided on a refs judgement.
In basketball, if you have a clear path to the basket and there is an intentional foul, you get two shots and the ball. That's more in line with the deep PI calls people are complaining about, and in the NBA you get more than just 2 foul shots so this shouldn't be any different.

The rules are fine the way they are. The refs just need to be better at recognizing what's going on with a couple of plays, and need to err on the side of the defender rather than the offensive player. The only ones I've had a problem with is when the defender is looking for the ball and both are jockeying for position. That should be a no call every time. I didn't see any this week that should have anybody up in arms. The Holmes one and the Dallas game were both correct calls.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »