Home

Its about time they speak up about pass interference.

This is a discussion on Its about time they speak up about pass interference. within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-19-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 7
Its about time they speak up about pass interference.

Seen this topic come up on Around the Horn and Pardon Me Interruption. Pass interference needs to be reevaluated, its very hard on defenders, they cant even touch receivers, most of the time receivers initiate the contact by going for the ball, for example if a receiver is doing a streak route and the ball is thrown short, and the wr has to stop turn around and catch the ball and he runs into the defensive back that is already behind the receiver, they call pass interference on the db!?!
I believe pass interference should only be called if a defender grabs, pulls, holds, takes down or tackle a receiver before the ball gets to the receiver.

Do you think they should change the pass interference rules? And how would you change it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
All Star

BleacherBum2310's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Its about time they speak up about pass interference.

I like the College rule, That Jet/Bronco game is one reason why I hate the rule. 46 Yard Penalty and basically won Jets the Game.

But I don't know how they would change it, they are some Gray Areas.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 17

Yeah, but did you see what he did to Holmes on that play? He basically dragged him down by his facemask to stop him from catching the ball. If they didn't penalize him 46 yards, then he just saved a TD and the game by breaking a rule. At least it keeps smarter players honest in that respect, they won't kill a receiver to stop a possible game winning TD or something, due to the penalty they'll receive.

The bigger PI issue was that horrendous call on Flowers that somewhat cost the Chiefs the game. Refs should be held to a higher standard than that crap. I wouldn't even mind the option of coaches being able to challenge PI calls.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

I find it more annoying that EVERY incomplete pass is immediately followed by the WR looking around and begging for some kind of flag.

It's like driving to the hoop in the NBA right now, they're always looking for a foul.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 15

Maybe there could be degrees of pass interference? Like if you're tackling a dude or grabbing his facemask like Renaldo Hill did to Santonio Holmes at the end of the Jets game, that would be so blatant that it should be a spot foul, but if a guy just does some unnecessary jostling, it would only be a 15 yarder. Of course, the problem with that is that it makes the most subjective rule in the game even more subjective.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

Trent Dilfer was talking about this last night and he mentioned how they used to have specific plays in the playbook where they would run guys deep and purposely underthrow the ball looking for a flag. They would use it in desperation times.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcurtain311
Yeah, but did you see what he did to Holmes on that play? He basically dragged him down by his facemask to stop him from catching the ball. If they didn't penalize him 46 yards, then he just saved a TD and the game by breaking a rule. At least it keeps smarter players honest in that respect, they won't kill a receiver to stop a possible game winning TD or something, due to the penalty they'll receive.
And that's why the College rule is terrible. It would've only been a 15 yard penalty in a situation that would've been a TD. You see it all the time in College, defenders just blatantly interfering because they know they're beat and it only gives them 15 yards.

It's a very subjective call. I personally think they should allow teams to review the penalty. I know you can't review penalties, but maybe the NFL can make this penalty eligible for review considering how subjective it is and the fact that PI calls are such huge penalties and can realistically turn a game around. I can't think of any better solution than that.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Last edited by z Revis; 10-19-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:29 PM   #8
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

I agree PI needs to be changed. I like the idea of making it a 15 yrd penalty instead of spot of the foul. Deep route underthrows shouldn't get the call at all imo.

Maybe they could also change it to only be called when the ball is clearly catchable? The PI call at the end of the Minny/Dallas game is what I'm talking about here. It would've taken a miracle for the wr to pull that ball in anyways and the contact was fairly minor. I hate to see a game decided that way and then seeing the qb with both hands raised like he just threw an incredible td just makes it worse.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »