Home

Week 8: Broncos @ 49ers (Wembley Stadium)

This is a discussion on Week 8: Broncos @ 49ers (Wembley Stadium) within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #17
MVP

RJTurneR's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Week 8: Broncos @ 49ers (Wembley Stadium)

Champ only has 15 tackles, 3 of them assists, and one INT. He is still one of the best CB's in the league, but this year alone there are some guys playing better.

I also think that if they start David Carr over Troy Smith, their dumb.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #18
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

People have been giving Troy Smith waaaay too much hype lately. And this is coming from someone who wanted him to start the season ahead of Flacco a couple of years ago. I've seen as much of Troy Smith as you can see since that time, and I think people's hopes are up a bit high. Alex Smith, Carr and Troy Smith are all in the same category. The light could still come on for any of them and they can show consistency with their talent. But so far, all we've seen is flashes and more disappointing moments than great ones... that includes Troy Smith.

Right now he's just the latest back up QB that everyone wants to see bc the guy in front of him isn't doing that great of a job. If Carr is the #2 he deserves to take the top snaps for the week and come in as the starter.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:29 PM   #19
MVP

RJTurneR's Arena

Carr has taken 265 sacks in his career so far. 76 of those sacks were in 2002, 49 in 2004, 68 in 2005, 41 in 2006, by which time Houston signed Schaub. The rest of his career has been spent as a back-up, and it's no surprise as to why really.

I would pick Flacco over Smith any day, but I would pick Smith over Carr any day. Just my opinion.

EDIT: Carr holds the record for most sacks in a single NFL season. Just backing that up.

Last edited by RJTurneR; 10-26-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:29 PM   #20
MVP

jth1331's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJTurneR
Champ only has 15 tackles, 3 of them assists, and one INT. He is still one of the best CB's in the league, but this year alone there are some guys playing better.

I also think that if they start David Carr over Troy Smith, their dumb.
Stats don't show the whole thing, Champ is having a quiet, good season. He's done a very good job this year, and I'd argue this year he's one of the 5 best CB's this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Even after the bad game, Orton is among the top 5 QBs in the league right now. We all know he's not THAT good but it'd take more than another bad game to even consider a QB change. Like you're other post, you seem to have an agenda against this team... but then seem like a pretty strong Broncos fan. Very confusing.
Orton's had relatively 2 poor games in a row, one against a good Jets defense though. I'm not saying I would want a QB change, but a lot of people will start talking about it. 2-6 with a hyped up rookie QB, the talk will be there whether it is warranted or not. Heck, Shanahan plugged in a rookie Jay Cutler when the team was fighting for a playoff spot.
My agenda against the Broncos right now, even though I am a strong Bronco fan, is that my team just suffered the most humiliating loss in franchise history to their most hated, rival team at home. That is completely unacceptable and in the past, has caused Bronco coaches Wade Phillips and Mike Shanahan to lose their jobs. I want to see progress, and I've seen regression.
5 Heisman Trophy Winners
#1 in weeks ranked #1 in AP Poll
#1 in weeks ranked top 5 in AP Poll
#1 in wins/winning percentage since 1946
Oklahoma Sooners, Boomer Sooner!
Old 10-26-2010, 05:33 PM   #21
MVP

RJTurneR's Arena

Are you one of those guys thinking Josh McDainels is on the hot seat? Because you wouldn't be the only one. A lot of people are saying his trying to make Denver too 'Patriot Like'.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #22
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJTurneR
Carr has taken 265 sacks in his career so far. 76 of those sacks were in 2002, 49 in 2004, 68 in 2005, 41 in 2006, by which time Houston signed Schaub. The rest of his career has been spent as a back-up, and it's no surprise as to why really.

I would pick Flacco over Smith any day, but I would pick Smith over Carr any day. Just my opinion.

EDIT: Carr holds the record for most sacks in a single NFL season. Just backing that up.
The Texans oline was worse than the Bears oline this year when Carr was drafted. His first few games he showed A LOT of promise, but after getting smacked around like a rag doll, it eventually broke him. There's still reason to believe that if he gets behind a decent offensive line and got confidence back, he'd show promise again.

As for Flacco vs Smith, this was Flacco's rookie year. Trust me, I'm a Ravens fan. I did not want a rookie starting at QB but Smith got sick and Flacco took the job and ran with it. I (and most Ravens fans) have seen 100 times more of Troy Smith, the NFL QB, than pretty much anybody else. I want the kid to succeed but it's funny people think he should be the starter just bc the team's offense hasn't been doing well. He was a 5th round pick... and the Ravens couldn't trade him for a 5th rounder earlier this year.

Just don't get your hopes too high. If he's going to turn into something, it'll be either catching lighting in a bottle or a couple of years from now. I saw him earlier this year and he was not ready to be starting an NFL game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth1331
Stats don't show the whole thing, Champ is having a quiet, good season. He's done a very good job this year, and I'd argue this year he's one of the 5 best CB's this year.

Orton's had relatively 2 poor games in a row, one against a good Jets defense though. I'm not saying I would want a QB change, but a lot of people will start talking about it. 2-6 with a hyped up rookie QB, the talk will be there whether it is warranted or not. Heck, Shanahan plugged in a rookie Jay Cutler when the team was fighting for a playoff spot.
My agenda against the Broncos right now, even though I am a strong Bronco fan, is that my team just suffered the most humiliating loss in franchise history to their most hated, rival team at home. That is completely unacceptable and in the past, has caused Bronco coaches Wade Phillips and Mike Shanahan to lose their jobs. I want to see progress, and I've seen regression.
I feel you, but it's one game. It's a very bad game but it's still one game. One game didn't cost Shannahan his job. And many thought Cutler should've been the #1 pick in that draft so starting him as a rookie was much different.

If you're just saying what the average fan will start yelling, then ok. I guess my next question would be why do we care about what the average fan says?
Old 10-26-2010, 06:26 PM   #23
MVP

RJTurneR's Arena

I'll take your word for it as you have defiantly seen more Troy then I have. So could he be an NFL starter, maybe for the 49er's, down the road?

One bad/very bad season can cost a coach his job. But who else can Denver turn to right now if McDaniels fails as a HC?
Old 10-27-2010, 02:58 AM   #24
MVP

OVR: 12

Cmon 9ers please catch the Broncos still asleep back in Denver lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »