Home

Sunday Night Football Beats World Series in TV Ratings

This is a discussion on Sunday Night Football Beats World Series in TV Ratings within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-01-2010, 10:56 PM   #25
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: Sunday Night Football Beats World Series in TV Ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
This is pure speculation but I find that hard to believe (if you have actual knowledge, my apologies for doubting you). The football season has always started before the end of the baseball season. If there has ever been a WS game on a Monday night, I find it very hard to believe the NFL just passed on MNF for that week. I actually wouldn't be surprised if MLB made sure they didn't have games played on Monday to not compete with MNF.
Not sure about MNF when it was on ABC, but I know this article mentions how NBC skipped the week the WS would be on the first 4 years they've had SNF.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n7011381.shtml

And the WS always has the Sat/Sun/Tue/Wed/Thu/Sat/Sun schedule, which wouldn't have affected NFL in the past when MNF was on ABC and SNF was on ESPN. But it looks like upon a quick check they still took Sun off when SNF was on ESPN up against the WS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_World_Series
http://espn.go.com/nfl/schedule/_/year/2001

PSN: dsavbeast
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2010, 01:28 AM   #26
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Tape a WS game or the SB!?! I almost blocked you for that comment.
I don't post nearly enough for you to waste your time blocking me.

The great thing about having kids is you finally realize that sports isn't life.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:14 AM   #27
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
I seriously mean no disrespect to you but I can't stand that argument, that simply because one sport's popularity is high that's what defines it as our nation's past-time. That are very legitimate arguments as to why football is a popular sport to watch over other sports. One would be that our culture has changed significantly. Our attention is constantly being pulled from one thing to another. It just so happens that football offers in its viewing a more fast-paced type of action than something like baseball. Our attention spans have changed. We want fast and done. It's nothing against the sport of football. I love it, but baseball is just as meaningful as football to many people.
I feel the same way. Football is my favorite sport, but I consider baseball as the American pastime. Football just has so much more glitz and glamor that make me tire of it at times. And then there's the NFL Draft. Goodness, how in the world is the media able to devote so much freaking time to the draft? I can't even watch ESPN during the weeks before the draft; it's awful. I can't even get sports news.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)

Last edited by lonewolf371; 11-02-2010 at 06:17 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:57 AM   #28
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf371
Football just has so much more glitz and glamor that make me tire of it at times. And then there's the NFL Draft. Goodness, how in the world is the media able to devote so much freaking time to the draft? ]
Because people care about it because football is far and away the most popular sport in the country. People want to see the kids in the second most popular sporting league in the country get drafted into the most popular sporting league in the country.

Quote:
I can't even watch ESPN during the weeks before the draft; it's awful. I can't even get sports news.
It's 2010 bra.

Instead of watching Sportscenter for an hour waiting for them to cover what you want, use the internet to get the score you want in 30 seconds.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #29
Banned

OVR: 26

MLB ratings beat the MNF game last night which was surprising.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:25 PM   #30
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick012
Not sure about MNF when it was on ABC, but I know this article mentions how NBC skipped the week the WS would be on the first 4 years they've had SNF.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n7011381.shtml

And the WS always has the Sat/Sun/Tue/Wed/Thu/Sat/Sun schedule, which wouldn't have affected NFL in the past when MNF was on ABC and SNF was on ESPN. But it looks like upon a quick check they still took Sun off when SNF was on ESPN up against the WS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_World_Series
http://espn.go.com/nfl/schedule/_/year/2001
Thanks for the links, definitely didn't know that. I wonder if bumping MNF would've ever been considered an option. SNF isn't exactly the beast that MNF is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliball
I don't post nearly enough for you to waste your time blocking me.

The great thing about having kids is you finally realize that sports isn't life.
Ha ha, good point. As for kids, sports isn't life now... but my kids will be sitting with me if my favorite team is in a championship game that they may never see again. Of course there are more important things but in this hypothetical when we're talking about Halloween, they'd either be in the house handing out candy with me or out with some other responsible parent that doesn't care as much about the game as I would.

I know I don't have any kids of my own at this point, but there needs to be some kind of emergency to get me to tape a Superbowl game that the Ravens are playing in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid
MLB ratings beat the MNF game last night which was surprising.
I didn't expect it but it makes sense. The pitching matchup couldn't have been better, and it was an elimination game. If ever you're going to watch, last night would be the night.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:28 PM   #31
All Star

OVR: 20

Does the NFL have teams that draw 4 million fans a season? It's apples to oranges.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #32
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWRMETS
Does the NFL have teams that draw 4 million fans a season? It's apples to oranges.
Are you taking attendance numbers and trying to translate it into fans? That makes no sense. First, that assumes that every fan that attends a game only attends one game all season. It also assumes that all fans attend games. There are 162 games for every baseball team and tickets can be as low as what $10 per game? That's just a horrible comparison. If anything, it says even more about the NFL since the average per game attendance numbers are almost twice as much as baseball and the tickets are much more expensive. Many NFL fans never go to games... but you don't see too many bars bragging about the MLB package and free wifi so you can keep up with your fantasy baseball team.

I love baseball as much as the next guy but lets not be silly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »