Home

if a running back is the best player on your team...

This is a discussion on if a running back is the best player on your team... within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #17
MVP

RJTurneR's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: if a running back is the best player on your team...

Quote:
to further explain my point, the following nfl teams, under this premise, will not win the title:
minnesota
tennessee
st. louis
jacksonville
atlanta
kansas city
san francisco
Those 3 in bold should not be in that list. Both Tennessee and Atlanta are both predicted to make Super Bowl runs, and they can make it. And given a few years, St. Louis could be the the St. Louis of old. Bradford is playing better than he should be (Thats not a bad thing), Jackson will be one of those backs who will keep going till the gas is gone, and a few drafts and free agency signings, they will have a solid team.

Now the Titans have Moss. Johnsons job will be easier, even Young will be able to run more probably. If they make it to the playoff's, which they will, they should have Britt back, and the rest of their receivers are reasonably good too.

Infact, and argument could be made ,now that Moss is on that team, of who is the better guy. Moss or Johnson? I'd say.. both. Super Bowl Contenders for sure.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:26 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJTurneR
Those 3 in bold should not be in that list. Both Tennessee and Atlanta are both predicted to make Super Bowl runs, and they can make it. And given a few years, St. Louis could be the the St. Louis of old. Bradford is playing better than he should be (Thats not a bad thing), Jackson will be one of those backs who will keep going till the gas is gone, and a few drafts and free agency signings, they will have a solid team.

Now the Titans have Moss. Johnsons job will be easier, even Young will be able to run more probably. If they make it to the playoff's, which they will, they should have Britt back, and the rest of their receivers are reasonably good too.

Infact, and argument could be made ,now that Moss is on that team, of who is the better guy. Moss or Johnson? I'd say.. both. Super Bowl Contenders for sure.
i know they're predicted to make runs, and i'm not knocking their contender credentials. i'm saying based on the last 20 years of empirical nfl football evidence, they will not win.

and 2010 chris johnson > 2010 randy moss.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:42 PM   #19
So long to a Legend.

ANDROMADA 1's Arena

OVR: 65

Its all about the QB. That is the most important position. Great QBs usually win the SB.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:51 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark28_316
Greazy, like you said...3 RBs.

and thats in the last 20 years. Crazy.

I think it's only 1 in 20 years. Faulk. Davis and Smith were great, no joke, but I could make a case that Elway was their best player (Broncos) and Aikman/Irvin were the best for Dallas.
and what records do either one of them own?

get anything from here
Old 11-07-2010, 01:36 AM   #21
Banned

I'm not big on the whole "one person = championship" theory either. Defense is number 1 most important. I've never really held RB's to highly in terms of importance. It's an interchangeable position. How many times do you see ____ get injured and then the lesser known ____ step into those shoes and do the same thing? On offense, your QB is far more important. So is your line. Most great RB's aren't going to be great behind a weak line. Look what happened in KC when their line started getting old. It's all about a system, if you play defense and have a good and efficient QB, a tough line, your running game will prosper no matter who's back there. Except if it's Lendale White.

That's why I laugh when teams like the Bills are drafting a CJ Spiller in the top 10. Ugh. He could be the greatest RB ever, what good is he going to do you when you're so weak at so many more important positions? Or Chris Johnson rushing for 2000 yards. I don't really care about that stat in the grand scheme of things, since what did their team win? You have a guy rushing for all these yards, but is he the MVP? Of course not, because what did all of those yards accomplish, aside from put his name somewhere?

So yeah, you NEED the running game. Or at least the threat of the running game. It helps you get into the playoffs. It helps your offense throughout 16 games. Most of the time in the playoffs, your running game will get shut down, and it's up to your QB and defense then. Most teams are going to force your QB to beat them in the postseason and do everything to stop the run.

Football = ultimate team sport. Nobody wins by themselves. Coaching, scheming, defense, offense, they all play so many roles.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2010, 02:17 AM   #22
MVP

OVR: 18

allow me to repeat this and i have placed it in bold because i think guys are either not reading the whole thread of they're mistaking the intent.

I AM NOT SAYING ONE PERSON WINS A CHAMPIONSHIP. I AM NOT SAYING RUNNING BACK IS THE MOST IMPORTANT POSITION.

i am, however, saying that if you rank the best players on you team, and your running back is the best player, your team will lose.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:22 AM   #23
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by The15thunter
i am, however, saying that if you rank the best players on you team, and your running back is the best player, your team will lose.
Couldn't you say that for pretty much every position that isn't a Quarterback?
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 11-07-2010, 02:43 AM   #24
Banned

Even in some situations, the QB isn't the most important position on the field. It's so dependent on the system and talent. In terms of importance, RB is like WR. If you have a GREAT player at the position, it will certainly make a difference. If you don't, you should be able to get by, and/or win a SB without them. No RB is going to carry a team to and win the SB. I think Barry Sanders showed us this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »