Home

if a running back is the best player on your team...

This is a discussion on if a running back is the best player on your team... within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-07-2010, 02:47 AM   #25
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: if a running back is the best player on your team...

Quote:
Originally Posted by z Revis
Couldn't you say that for pretty much every position that isn't a Quarterback?
no, actually. while it's desirable for your qb to be your top guy, i don't think it's as necessary as we'd be led to believe.

looking at the same 20 year span that i used as an example for running backs, the following qbs were the best players on a super bowl winner:

2009 - drew brees
2006 - peyton manning
2001 - tom brady (2004 - i'd say seymour was more elite that year with he and vinatieri being all-pro and brady was pro bowl; 2003 - seymour, law or harrison were all-pros, brady wasn't even pro bowl)
1999 - kurt warner (or faulk)
1996 - brett favre
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2010, 06:23 AM   #26
So long to a Legend.

ANDROMADA 1's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcurtain311
Even in some situations, the QB isn't the most important position on the field. It's so dependent on the system and talent. In terms of importance, RB is like WR. If you have a GREAT player at the position, it will certainly make a difference. If you don't, you should be able to get by, and/or win a SB without them. No RB is going to carry a team to and win the SB. I think Barry Sanders showed us this.
I sorta agree. Barry isnt the best example though. He never had a competent qb to play with, or have a legit line/defense/timing. Besides we all know it is a team game but that team must have great leadership And talent at whatever positions the ownership deems valuable. It takes a team effort and that starts from the owners and in a round about way the fans. You cannot have one without the other. Even if you do have a bunch of elite talent, great ownership and coaching you could still lose. When Barry played there was no salary cap which changed things as well. Back then it was all about the 49ers, giants, bills, and cowboys.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:32 AM   #27
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
Smith was still there for the second as well. Dillon came in for the third.
Yea...and Corey Dillon was no slouch as he ranks 17th all-time in rushing yds. With 5 more total yards than HOF'er OJ Simpson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJTurneR
Those 3 in bold should not be in that list. Both Tennessee and Atlanta are both predicted to make Super Bowl runs, and they can make it. And given a few years, St. Louis could be the the St. Louis of old. Bradford is playing better than he should be (Thats not a bad thing), Jackson will be one of those backs who will keep going till the gas is gone, and a few drafts and free agency signings, they will have a solid team.
S-Jax will probably be in decline, used up, or not even a Ram by the time STL has a team around Bradford that will contend.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:30 AM   #28
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33

Football just shows how much of a team game it is. The colts have "supposedly" the greatest QB to play the position but only have won 1 super bowl, Drew Brees puts up amazing stats in '08 throwing for 5000 yds but doesn't even make the playoffs,etc
Old 11-07-2010, 10:59 AM   #29
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by The15thunter
i think people are mistaking my point. i'm not saying a team can only have an elite player at one position and just be average or crap everywhere else.

what i'm saying is that if your running back is the best player on your team, historically, you will not win a championship.

to further explain my point, the following nfl teams, under this premise, will not win the title:
minnesota
tennessee
st. louis
jacksonville
atlanta
kansas city
san francisco
You didn't necessarily need this metric to determine whether Jacksonville will win a Super Bowl this year. The eye test works well enough.

Just sayin'.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Old 11-07-2010, 11:33 AM   #30
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDROMADA 1
I sorta agree. Barry isnt the best example though. He never had a competent qb to play with, or have a legit line/defense/timing. Besides we all know it is a team game but that team must have great leadership And talent at whatever positions the ownership deems valuable. It takes a team effort and that starts from the owners and in a round about way the fans. You cannot have one without the other. Even if you do have a bunch of elite talent, great ownership and coaching you could still lose. When Barry played there was no salary cap which changed things as well. Back then it was all about the 49ers, giants, bills, and cowboys.
That's why I used Barry as an example. He was arguably the best ever at his position, yet he never had anything around him, so where did Detroit end up? RB isn't that important of a position. I wouldn't draft one in the top 10, regardless of how talented they are, unless I already had the team around them and needed that one more piece.

So yeah, to agree with the point of the thread, you really don't want the RB to be the "best" player on your team.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #31
In case you forgot...

mKoz26's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by The15thunter
no, actually. while it's desirable for your qb to be your top guy, i don't think it's as necessary as we'd be led to believe.

looking at the same 20 year span that i used as an example for running backs, the following qbs were the best players on a super bowl winner:

2009 - drew brees
2006 - peyton manning
2001 - tom brady (2004 - i'd say seymour was more elite that year with he and vinatieri being all-pro and brady was pro bowl; 2003 - seymour, law or harrison were all-pros, brady wasn't even pro bowl)
1999 - kurt warner (or faulk)
1996 - brett favre
I disagree with Favre and Brady. Brady became the best player on his team after their championships. Favre just wasn't the best player.

And I also disagree with the thread title/OP, just because of some basic math. There are 22 players on a football team who have the opportunity to be considered "best". The 11 starters on each side of the ball. Special team-ers are going to be excluded just because they don't play as often as starters.

Running back (I assume this refers to the tailback) is only 1/22 positions. There has been at least one SB winner with a RB as their best player in the past 22 years. (Faulk with the Rams)

I think a more appropriate "thesis" would be to say running backs are not nearly as valuable as people make them out to be.

@CDonkey26

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumy300
Yeah, she may be a bit of a beotch, but you get back to me when you find out a way to motorboat personality...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2010, 09:34 PM   #32
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mKoz26
I disagree with Favre and Brady. Brady became the best player on his team after their championships. Favre just wasn't the best player.

And I also disagree with the thread title/OP, just because of some basic math. There are 22 players on a football team who have the opportunity to be considered "best". The 11 starters on each side of the ball. Special team-ers are going to be excluded just because they don't play as often as starters.

Running back (I assume this refers to the tailback) is only 1/22 positions. There has been at least one SB winner with a RB as their best player in the past 22 years. (Faulk with the Rams)

I think a more appropriate "thesis" would be to say running backs are not nearly as valuable as people make them out to be.
who was a better packer than favre in 1996?

if it only happened once in the past 22 years, and even that year it's a debate (warner or faulk is certainly a fair argument), then it's safe to say it's the exception, not the rule.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »