Home

The NFL is to Blame for the Helmet to Helmet Hits

This is a discussion on The NFL is to Blame for the Helmet to Helmet Hits within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-07-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
The NFL is to Blame for the Helmet to Helmet Hits

As we know the NFL is big business, and their main objective is making $$$. They have made numerous decisions over the past few years that have led to some unforeseen consequences.

The past 10 years have seen a number of rules changes that have favored the offense, more specifically the passing game. For example:

1. Pass Interference--the defense is basically helpless in covering WRs
2. Illegal Contact--the 5 yd contact rule was fought for by Bill Polian after the Pats beat up the Colts' WRs
3. Roughing the Passer--Defenders are not allowed to even look at the QB the wrong way without a flag being thrown.

Why were these rules made? It makes for a more exciting league. It leads to more passes and more points and that's what fans like. NFL popularity is at an all time high and so is passing yardage and scoring. Fantasy Football is booming.

But what has happened as a result of these rule changes? Every team passes more than ever. It makes sense, it's easier than ever. Why not pass the ball?

The problem now though is that all of these helmet to helmet hits and defenseless WR plays are obviously happening in the passing game. It's not just a conincidence that it's happening more than ever. It's because teams are passing, and they're passing because the NFL wants them to.

Another thing that has caused more helmet to helmet hits is the new helmets and their padding to avoid concussions. Sounds great in theory until defenders started using their padded helmets as weapons more often.

Making defenders more passive is NOT the way to solve these hits. If the NFL is truly concerned about player safety, they must reverse some of the rule changes that made it a passing league. Get rid of the illegal contact and be more lenient on pass interference.

Less passes may result in less scoring and less "excitement" in the NFL, but it will also lead to less controversy and nonsense that we're experiencing every week.

To sum it up:

1. Rules changes lead to more passing and $$$ for the NFL.
2. More passing leads to more illegal hits
3. The NFL is NOT looking at the root of this problem and they need to make changes even if it's gonna cost them money in the end.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: The NFL is to Blame for the Helmet to Helmet Hits

I hated and I STILL hate that BS Illegal Contact Rule and wish they'd get rid of it.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

Not that I totally disagree with some of your ideas but "the big hit" issue has more to do with lack of skills and skills training.

I totally disagree however with your premise that defense is neutered now. IMHO it's just changed. Game has to keep changing and evolving to keep it fresh.

"What I look forward to is continued immaturity followed by death"
-Dave Barry
Old 11-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 8

Illegal contact was born out of that game in NE where the field was TERRIBLE and the Pats MURDERED the Colts WRs in the playoffs

the final score was 20-3 and the next season illegal contact was instated.

You have earned my respect.

4-6-09
Old 11-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
MVP

Palo20's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSmerg
Not that I totally disagree with some of your ideas but "the big hit" issue has more to do with lack of skills and skills training.

I totally disagree however with your premise that defense is neutered now. IMHO it's just changed. Game has to keep changing and evolving to keep it fresh.

It may be a lack of skills, but there is more opportunity for the illegal hits now because of all the passing.

I think it's pretty obvious that the defense has been neutered, and just in the passing game. Every rule change I mentioned above has favored the offensive passing game. Of course that's going to affect how the defense is forced to play.

It's harder to cover the pass today then it was 10 years ago. That's a fact.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
MVP

Palo20's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lint
Illegal contact was born out of that game in NE where the field was TERRIBLE and the Pats MURDERED the Colts WRs in the playoffs

the final score was 20-3 and the next season illegal contact was instated.

That's correct, and Bill Polian was at the forefront in getting the rules changed.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
Tebow is Chuck Norris

OVR: 18

No matter what is said, a human's life is more important than any single game or the game itself.

The NFL is doing the right thing and the NFL will adapt.

There will still be playoffs, cinderellas, and a super bowl team each year. The game will adapt.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:07 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 8

I get PI..

I get roughing the passer (to an extent)

Illegal contact is the most useless penalty ever!!

You have earned my respect.

4-6-09

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »