Home

Henne Benched In Favor of Pennington

This is a discussion on Henne Benched In Favor of Pennington within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-10-2010, 03:22 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Henne Benched In Favor of Pennington

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Sparano's job is in jeopardy already?
I'm just guessing that's the case. Why else would you throw in an injury prone thirty something QB when the season's essentially over? They must be thinking they have to win now or else. If Sparano's job were safe and doesn't think Henne's a franchise QB, then why not put Tyler Thigpen in? He's shown flashes of potential in Kansas City.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW McGraw
Awful move. The AFC's too good for us to make the playoffs. There's no upside to this move. This tells me that Sparano and Ireland care more about winning now to save their jobs than they do the future of the franchise.
Your still 4-4 and have played a ridiculous schedule so far.

Now you have

Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Buffalo all at home.

Oakland and Tennessee are both winnable games.

You'll have to at least beat one of New England and the Jets on the road but that's far from impossible.

I could absolutely see the Dolphins go 6-2 the rest of the way and get to 10 wins, and your right, the AFC is tough and that may not be enough, but it could be. I think it's too early to throw in the towel.

That said, I'd be surprised if Pennington, coming off another injury, is the answer, but I do think the Dolphins should still be trying to win games.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #11
Im The Baby/Gotta Love Me

elicoleman's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Chad Pennington's base salary will jump from $2.5 million to $5.75 million now that he's been named the Dolphins' starter.
Quote:
The escalator was written into Pennington's one-year deal as an "unlikely to be earned" incentive. The 34-year-old Pennington appeared in three games this preseason, completing 17-of-28 passes (60.7 percent) for 156 yards (5.6 YPA), two touchdowns, and no interceptions. It's believed that one of the main reasons for Chad Henne's demotion was Miami's red-zone inefficiency. Pennington's accurate passing is expected to upgrade that area.
That's insane that he gets paid $3 million more for starting. Good for Chad for having that in his contract.
What I'm Currently Listening To
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2010, 04:23 PM   #12
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets
Your still 4-4 and have played a ridiculous schedule so far.

Now you have

Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Buffalo all at home.

Oakland and Tennessee are both winnable games.

You'll have to at least beat one of New England and the Jets on the road but that's far from impossible.

I could absolutely see the Dolphins go 6-2 the rest of the way and get to 10 wins, and your right, the AFC is tough and that may not be enough, but it could be. I think it's too early to throw in the towel.

That said, I'd be surprised if Pennington, coming off another injury, is the answer, but I do think the Dolphins should still be trying to win games.
Exactly what I was thinking. The Phins are still in this... everyone else in the division has to play some tough games too.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #13
Greatness Has Arrived

Burns11's Arena

OVR: 16

I don't get this at all. I like Pennington, but I'm not sure what the motivation is here.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:55 PM   #14
MVP

HungryBologna's Arena

OVR: 19

Like NYJets and wwharton said, they are far from done. They're still a pretty tough team.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:21 PM   #15
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

I like this move. Henne has been making too many mistakes and has been putting his team in bad positions. Sure Pennington doesn't give you a lot of field stretch but this isn't how this team is built anyway; the Dolphins are a run first (and run second) team that uses play action to jump start the passing game. What Pennington does bring is smarts and accuracy; he's not going to throw into tight coverage needlessly, he's not going to give up the avoidable INTs, etc.

Now, all this is based on the last time I saw Pennington playing consistently. Who knows, his skills might have gone sour much like when Brad Johnson went in last year for the Cowboys.

As for Henne, there's nothing wrong with being benched and watching a vet show you how it's done. Who knows? Maybe this adds fuel to that fire in Henne to push himself, maybe it sobers him up to temper an ego, or maybe it puts him in his place knowing that everyone is replaceable and if you don't do your job or perform well, you get yanked.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2010, 05:32 PM   #16
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
I like this move. Henne has been making too many mistakes and has been putting his team in bad positions. Sure Pennington doesn't give you a lot of field stretch but this isn't how this team is built anyway; the Dolphins are a run first (and run second) team that uses play action to jump start the passing game. What Pennington does bring is smarts and accuracy; he's not going to throw into tight coverage needlessly, he's not going to give up the avoidable INTs, etc.

Now, all this is based on the last time I saw Pennington playing consistently. Who knows, his skills might have gone sour much like when Brad Johnson went in last year for the Cowboys.

As for Henne, there's nothing wrong with being benched and watching a vet show you how it's done. Who knows? Maybe this adds fuel to that fire in Henne to push himself, maybe it sobers him up to temper an ego, or maybe it puts him in his place knowing that everyone is replaceable and if you don't do your job or perform well, you get yanked.
Your first paragraph doesn't make any sense. A strong running game complements a deep passing game way better than a short passing game. If you have a strong running game and deep passing game, the defense faces a dilemma over where to put their safeties. If you pass short all the time, the answer is clearly to shorten your defense to the puny 20 yards of field that you need to defend.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »