Home

Is Donovan McNabb a Hall of Famer?

This is a discussion on Is Donovan McNabb a Hall of Famer? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Is Donovan McNabb a Hall of Famer?
Definitely. 46 18.11%
Maybe, give him a ring and he's in. 81 31.89%
No and I don't think he ever will be. 127 50.00%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #33
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)
Re: Is Donovan McNabb a Hall of Famer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
Dan Marino never had a Top 10 WR. Never won a SB
Brett Favre never had a Top 10 WR. Had Sterling Sharpe. Had Brooks, Freeman and Rison when he won his lone SB title. And Desmond Howard was SB MVP
Tom Brady never won a SB with a Top 10 WR. Rare acception
John Elway never had a Top 10 WR. He had Shannon Sharpe. And Elway was a guy who couldnt win the big ones until TD became the focal point of the offense.

All of these players did however have good players they made better with their ability to quarterback a team. Saying McNabb only had one in his career, who arguably had less success than he did with he did with all timers Jeff Garcia and Tony Romo.
10 characters

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

Last edited by da ThRONe; 11-11-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #34
Dog
aka jnes12/JNes__

Dog's Arena

OVR: 60

I think he is 100% a Hall of Famer. Sure, he came up short in big games at times, but his numbers don't lie. Dude is a stud. He is right behind Brady/Manning IMO

But, since I don't vote, my belief is that he won't go into the Hall of Fame without a ring. So I hope he gets out of Washington and goes to a team that will win the Super Bowl and get him that ring and punch his ticket to the HOF

Old 11-11-2010, 12:47 PM   #35
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
Was there ever a point in his career where he was unquestionably acknowledged as a Top 5 QB in the league? Right now, when asked to list the top 5 QBs in the league, the names you would hear are: Manning, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Rodgers. Was McNabb every really in that type of conversation?

I don't think he was, even when they kept going to NFC title games.

As I go back and look at his numbers, 2004 was his only really exceptional season. He had some years that were very good, others that weren't so good.

I think he's a Mark Brunell/Drew Bledsoe type with regards to production, probably a tick above those guys, but definitely not hall of fame worthy.

Last edited by Palo20; 11-11-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2010, 12:51 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 15

I think of McNabb as a bit like a much lesser John Elway. Both QBs were never really all time great passers like say Marino or Manning. Neither had great weapons for most of their career. Both had pretty decent defenses, though obviously not historically great. Both had reputations as great QBs who couldn't win the big one, though once Elway got a great team, he overcame that label. I don't think McNabb will be that lucky.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:54 PM   #37
Banned

OVR: 62

Elway lead teams to 3 Super Bowls with next to no talent around him on offense. On that alone you can't compare him to McNabb, even less when you add the two he won with TD and Sharpe.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:02 PM   #38
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
Was there ever a point in his career where he was unquestionably acknowledged as a Top 5 QB in the league? Right now, when asked to list the top 5 QBs in the league, the names you would hear are: Manning, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Rodgers. Was McNabb every really in that type of conversation?

I don't think he was, even when they kept going to NFC title games.

As I go back and look at his numbers, 2004 was his only really exceptional season. He had some years that were very good, others that weren't so good.

I think he's a Mark Brunell/Drew Bledsoe type with regards to production, probably a tick above those guys, but definitely not hall of fame worthy.
I think this is the biggest question, and the answer is a resounding NO. Aside from the time w/ T.O he was never consistently a top 5 QB in the NFL. He's always been a 2nd tier great.

People seem to be polarising it, saying he's either a HOFer or he sucks. I'm not saying that. He's been a very good QB. But for me he just doesn't come to that elite HOF level. If he'd won in that SB or even made it to more than one than that changes everything.

And to the people saying it's unfair to judge him based on his team - that's the way it's always been. QB gets too much credit when the team wins,too much blame when the team loses. In the end I just don't think he's done enough to warrant being a HOF player.

PSN: dsavbeast
Old 11-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #39
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

If he wins a Super Bowl, he enters the conversation.

Until then I don't think his chances are any better than those of Steve McNair.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:07 PM   #40
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
I just dont understand how you can look at Warner's resume compared to McNabbs' and say Warner should be in and not McNabb.
Doesn't Kurt Warner have two MVP trophies, a Super Bowl win, a Super Bowl MVP, and statistically-speaking the three best passing performances in Super Bowl history? McNabb doesn't have any of that.

I think there's definite separation between Warner and McNabb, though maybe not a huge amount.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »