Home

Is Donovan McNabb a Hall of Famer?

This is a discussion on Is Donovan McNabb a Hall of Famer? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Is Donovan McNabb a Hall of Famer?
Definitely. 46 18.11%
Maybe, give him a ring and he's in. 81 31.89%
No and I don't think he ever will be. 127 50.00%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28
Is Donovan McNabb a Hall of Famer?

Earlier today on the Jim Rome show, Andy Reid called McNabb a Hall of Famer. At first, I thought 'yeah sure', but at second thought, I'm questioning it. The one obvious thing that holds him back is the lack of rings(zero), but let's break it all down.

In today's world, it's very hard to get into Canton without a Super Bowl ring unless you have superior stats, McNabb doesn't. Statistically, for his career, he's in the top 20 all time lists in passing yards, completions, and attempts. He's also 22nd on the TD's list. Season by season however, he's not that impressive. He's never had a 4,000 yard season. He's only thrown 20 or more touchdowns in a season 5 times in his 12 year career(only 1 time over 30). His career QB rating is average. His career completion % is 58.9. Consider those numbers and the era he's playing in. One argument he does have though is the lack of weapons Philly put around him in his career.

Playoff wise, he's 9-7 in his career. 1 trip to the Super Bowl. 5 trips to the NFC Championship. His stats in the Playoffs are pretty much on par with his stats in the regular season for the most part.

Awards, 6 time Pro Bowler and the 2004 NFC OPOY.

So, is he a Hall of Famer or is he just 'very good'(sort of like a Joe Theismann)? For me, he's borderline. Give him a ring and I think he's definitely in.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Last edited by z Revis; 12-30-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 46
Re: Is Donovan McNabb a Hall of Famer?

I would say so if he had a ring, but that sets him back so much so I say no. I think there has been enough ringless QB's that were pretty good before him that didn't make it in so I don't see it
Old 11-10-2010, 11:27 PM   #3
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Definitely a Hall of Famer...he's not Brady, Manning, Marino, Elway, Montana elite, but the guy was the Eagles offense for a long time. I think we forget just how bad his receivers were from around 2001-2006.

His TD to INT ratio is also the best in NFL history and he will likely finish top 10 total yards and TD's by a QB (passing and rushing).
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 11-10-2010, 11:28 PM   #4
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
Hall of Famer...he's not Brady, Manning, Marino, Elway, Montana elite, but the guy was the Eagles offense for a long time. I think we forget just how bad his receivers were from around 2001-2006.
What, Freddie Mitchell doesn't do it for you?
Old 11-10-2010, 11:31 PM   #5
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
Definitely a Hall of Famer...he's not Brady, Manning, Marino, Elway, Montana elite, but the guy was the Eagles offense for a long time. I think we forget just how bad his receivers were from around 2001-2006.

His TD to INT ratio is also the best in NFL history and he will likely finish top 10 total yards and TD's by a QB (passing and rushing).
It's hard to throw interceptions when you're constantly skipping balls at receivers' feet. For me, he's never been an elite quarterback. He is often inaccurate, has never won a Super Bowl, and is woefully bad in crunch time. He's close, but not quite for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2010, 11:31 PM   #6
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33

Yes but it's gonna take atleast 3-5 years imo maybe longer after he's eligible
Old 11-10-2010, 11:41 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 47
No. He needs more stats. Maybe if he plays five more years.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:51 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 55

Nope. Just too many other quarterbacks were better than him during his years in the league.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »