Home

QBs w/SuperBowl Rings --> Overrated?

This is a discussion on QBs w/SuperBowl Rings --> Overrated? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-12-2010, 10:07 AM   #25
Banned

OVR: 17
Re: QBs w/SuperBowl Rings --> Overrated?

Santonio's was a really good catch in a really **** spot, from a guy who could make that catch any given week. A special teams player catching a ball off his helmet with Rodney Harrison draped all over him? That is a fluke, period. Tyree has been...where since that happened?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #26
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcurtain311
Santonio's was a really good catch in a really **** spot, from a guy who could make that catch any given week. A special teams player catching a ball off his helmet with Rodney Harrison draped all over him? That is a fluke, period. Tyree has been...where since that happened?
Not going to get into the validity of that santonio catch but who are you to discredit a victory over what you think is a fluke. Last time i checked Tyree was a pro player and caught the ball. Who gives a **** where he is right now? That same scrub special teams player caught a td that gave them the lead earlier in that game with asante samuels draped all over him but then again you dont care cuz he's not in the league anymore so that was a fluke as well. Eli put up 255 yards and 2 tds on a defense that completely obliterated the steelers. Where was big ben then? He must have still been immature that game.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #27
Banned

Eli lost to the Pats earlier that season too....

Quote:
Where was big ben then? He must have still been immature that game.
Not quite as immature as this comment.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:25 AM   #28
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42

Back on topic - neither Eli nor Ben are HOF at this point.

PSN: dsavbeast
Old 11-12-2010, 10:29 AM   #29
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
He also played near perfect in his second SB.
I'd like to take this as an opportunity to show that while SB rings can make some QBs overrated a QBs performance can actually show why they were so good but STILL don't get enough credit. Phil Simms is a really popular guy on this board. There's a strong contingent here that feels he's a HOFer. I'm actually one of them to be honest but it's mainly because of Simm's performance in SB XXI that gets peoples' attention. There's a lot more to Simms' resume but it's that game where he had probably the greatest half of football any quarterback has ever had that is the main exhibit for Simms' supporters.

So while some QBs get insane amounts of hype due to their rings (Big Ben is currently the biggest example of this) the opposite can be true that the SB rings can be a great factor as to why they're in the Hall. Bob Griese is in the HOF but I highly doubt he gets in if it wasn't for his SB ring.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 11-12-2010, 10:29 AM   #30
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick012
Back on topic - neither Eli nor Ben are HOF at this point.
I never said that Ben was, don't get that part wrong. I was just defending this whole idea of Rivers being HOF-like, while Ben isn't. Brady didn't start putting up elite stats until three years ago. Ben's had a number of good-great statistical seasons. He's just entering his prime now, and he already has two rings. While he's not HOF right now, see what happens 10 years from now. Next to Manning/Brady, Ben/Brees are the next closest.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:33 AM   #31
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
If you want to talk about vanderjagt's missed FG, how bout we talk about the refs overturning an obvious Troy Polamalu INT, that completely changed the entire course of the game, which was thoroughly dominated by the Steelers by that point?

In that first SB, the Seahawks played like absolute trash. They had every opportunity to be in that game, and they still lost, with or without the calls. Most of them were questionable anyways.

Ben had zero running game during his second SB, and the entire season leading up to it. So I don't really have any idea what you're talking about. His first two seasons in the league, he had a running game. Aside from that? Never, until now. Eli had running game and defense leading the way during his one SB season. He had them numerous other seasons too, and failed to make the playoffs, or limped in with an underachieving season.

To act like any QB wins anything without defense is just stupid, and shouldn't even be an argument in this thread. Like I said, look at the situation they are in. The farthest you're going to get with no real defensive help is the CCF, if even there.
This was my point all along and why grading a qb solely on how many titles they have is stupid imo. Ben and Eli can both thank their defenses for getting them rings. Guess what, Brett Favre has all the records and comeback games you could ask for in a career but only has 1 ring. Guess what, the Packers ranked number 1 in defense that year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2010, 10:44 AM   #32
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Eli lost to the Pats earlier that season too....
Not quite as immature as this comment.
Five star post

I know Eli lost but the Elite Big Ben was smashed. Middle of the pack Eli lost by 3 and won the big one in a "fluke".

Anyway superbowl winning qbs may be overated in some cases including Eli Manning as he really hasn't done much since. He's a better player than he was during that game but he has had no post season success since and I think he's only been to one pro-bowl. Guys like trent dilfer and brad johnson speak for themselves with how bad they really were.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »