Home

QBs w/SuperBowl Rings --> Overrated?

This is a discussion on QBs w/SuperBowl Rings --> Overrated? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #41
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: QBs w/SuperBowl Rings --> Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
The Steelers won 4 superbowls with the Steel Curtain defense and Franco Harris/Rocky Bleier running the ball. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Bradshaw was a scrub, but I don't think he was a great as 4 rings might imply.

Defense is usually more important to a championship than qb play. Packers of the 60's, Steelers of the 70's , Cowboys of the 90's, Patrots of th 2000's all ranked top 6 or better in points allowed. Even The Greatest Show on Turf ranked 4th in points allowed.
to be honest i think the steelers teams was more about the team and not the qb he had a great team he had receivers who he could throw the ball anywhere and they would come up with it. Patriots of 2000's i have a hard time giving credit to because the the taping issue. since that has come up they lose or almost lose to teams they would blow out, especially that baltimore game last year and cleveland this they would have never lost those games with those tactics. Cowboys of the 90's was a talented team and Jerry was able to add pieces where needed for success. Most teams have great defenses that win multiple sb.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2010, 12:55 AM   #42
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
The Steelers won 4 superbowls with the Steel Curtain defense and Franco Harris/Rocky Bleier running the ball. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Bradshaw was a scrub, but I don't think he was a great as 4 rings might imply.

Defense is usually more important to a championship than qb play. Packers of the 60's, Steelers of the 70's , Cowboys of the 90's, Patrots of th 2000's all ranked top 6 or better in points allowed. Even The Greatest Show on Turf ranked 4th in points allowed.
Where was the Steel Curtain when Roger Staubach and the Cowboys torched it to the tune of 31 points in Super Bowl XIII? 1979 playoffs, who tossed 6 TDs, 758 yards, and didn't have a single game with a QB rating below 90.8 to win his 4th Super Bowl? You're right, Bradshaw was definitely no slouch.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)
Old 11-14-2010, 03:22 AM   #43
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf371
Where was the Steel Curtain when Roger Staubach and the Cowboys torched it to the tune of 31 points in Super Bowl XIII? 1979 playoffs, who tossed 6 TDs, 758 yards, and didn't have a single game with a QB rating below 90.8 to win his 4th Super Bowl? You're right, Bradshaw was definitely no slouch.
I have to back you up on this. The Steelers when they won the 3rd and 4th SB of that era were still very much a running team but they stretched the ball more with a passing attack thanks to having 3 pretty damn good receivers in Swann, Stalworth and Bennie Cunningham.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 11-14-2010, 04:57 AM   #44
Im The Baby/Gotta Love Me

elicoleman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova57
Patriots of 2000's i have a hard time giving credit to because the the taping issue. since that has come up they lose or almost lose to teams they would blow out, especially that baltimore game last year and cleveland this they would have never lost those games with those tactics.
The Patriots went 18-1 after the "taping issue".

I'm pretty sure they lost to the Ravens and Browns simply because those two teams outcoached, outplayed, etc that day.
What I'm Currently Listening To
Old 11-14-2010, 10:33 AM   #45
MVP

Hova57's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by elicoleman
The Patriots went 18-1 after the "taping issue".

I'm pretty sure they lost to the Ravens and Browns simply because those two teams outcoached, outplayed, etc that day.
that was the year they were caught, i still think they had some stuff on people already so it didn't matter. I understand your point but I still discredit them because of what they did to win those.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2010, 10:51 AM   #46
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova57
that was the year they were caught, i still think they had some stuff on people already so it didn't matter. I understand your point but I still discredit them because of what they did to win those.
Off topic I know, but the taping issue is irrelevant. You think other teams in the past didn't do certain things to gain an advantage? In the end it's all about the players on the field executing. The Bills could tape all they want, probably would still be at the bottom of the league right now. (No offense to Bills fans).

Losing Bruschi, Law, Harrison, etc has more to do w/ the Pats fall than the taping issue FWIW.

PSN: dsavbeast
Old 11-14-2010, 11:33 AM   #47
MVP

Hova57's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick012
Off topic I know, but the taping issue is irrelevant. You think other teams in the past didn't do certain things to gain an advantage? In the end it's all about the players on the field executing. The Bills could tape all they want, probably would still be at the bottom of the league right now. (No offense to Bills fans).

Losing Bruschi, Law, Harrison, etc has more to do w/ the Pats fall than the taping issue FWIW.
losing them for the d was big. until they get those type of players i don't think they will make the superbowl for awhile
Old 11-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #48
Train Nsane or remainsame

Feared's Arena

OVR: 18

I wouldn't say QBs with Super Bowl wins are overrated, look at the guys in the league who have at least one right now; Manning, Brady, Brees, Ben... those guys are pretty good.

Of course you don't need a "franchise QB" per say to win a SB necesarilly but it certainly helps to have that field general who's calling all the shots at the line of scrimmage week in and week out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »