Home

Rivers or Vick: Who is Playing at a Higher Level?

This is a discussion on Rivers or Vick: Who is Playing at a Higher Level? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-23-2010, 11:17 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: Rivers or Vick: Who is Playing at a Higher Level?

Should coach Turner get some love/credit for Rivers success?
Old 11-23-2010, 11:21 AM   #10
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
Should coach Turner get some love/credit for Rivers success?
I'll give this a resounding yes. As blown away as I was by Rivers last night, I was equally blown away by Turner. Beautiful offense, beautiful design, I love the way he mixes and matches whatever personel he's got to work with and finds plays to maximize their skills... that screen to Crayton that went for a touchdown was masterful playcalling. It's like Air Coryell never left.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:41 AM   #11
MVP

RJTurneR's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
No doubt Michael Vick has been incandescent, but he is churning out video game numbers with a fully stocked arsenal of weapons. Still, no easy feat, but Phillip Rivers took the field last night without future Hall of Famer Ladainian Tomlinson; without the 1st rounder, Ryan Matthews, who was drafted to replace him; without future Hall of Famer Antonio Gates; and without Vincent Jackson. Yet that offense kept churning up and down the field.
Finally! Someone else who understands the points I have been trying to make in another 'Vick' thread. Its the one thing people seem to overlook right now. Is Vick playing very good? Yes. Is he on course to tie/beat Marino's record? No. Vick has all of his weapons.

Instead of writing this all out again I have simply copied and pasted. He currently leads the league in passing yards and yards per completion, is tied for first in passing touchdowns and is third in QB rating all while ranking only seventh in pass attempts. Rivers had a 455 yard game, a 431 yard game and three games of 300+ yards. He’s thrown a touchdown to seven different receivers and completed a pass to 14 receivers.

I also just read this not long ago.

Quote:
Vincent Jackson hasn’t played a game due to a holdout. With him out, Malcolm Floyd became the lead receiver — until he was injured in Week 6. It’s a good thing the Chargers have the always reliable Antonio Gates — except that he’s suffered through foot and toe problems all year and had to sit out the last game. Legedu Naanee looked like a potential breakout star — other than a hamstring that’s limited him for weeks. Guys like Patrick Crayton, Randy McMichael and Seyi Ajirotutu have gone from backups to stars depending on the game, and it’s certainly not because of their own talents. Philip Rivers makes his team better, and that’s what you expect from your MVP.

The MVP is also supposed to be the guy the team can’t live without, and that’s clearly the case for the Chargers. The wide receiving corps has been injured, the running back performances have been underwhelming, the offensive line has allowed 22 sacks and stars of the past like Jackson, Shawne Merriman and LaDainian Tomlinson have played no part in this season. And yet, despite it all, Philip Rivers has led the Chargers to a 4-5 record. That’s a record that, despite what you think, is actually pretty solid this year.
And this...

Quote:
Rivers is on pace for 5,234 yards this season. Dan Marino holds the single season record of 5,084, meaning Rivers average of 327 yards per game could drop by 20 for the remainder of the season and he would still break the record. He’s thrown 19 touchdowns, just eight interceptions and is averaging an amazing 8.95 yards per pass attempt.
So how is Vick the better MVP candidate? Vick is playing brilliantly, and I like the guy. But I just like Rivers better for the reasons above.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-23-2010, 11:56 AM   #12
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

It's hard to argue against Rivers ,but since people are putting things in prospective about what Rivers is doing I'll play devils advocate for the other side. Just think two years ago Vick was in a prison cell. Imagine if you take Manning, Brees, Rivers, or Brady away from the game for like 2 or so years?

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:57 AM   #13
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Nothing against what Vick has done, as he's become a much better player than what he once was, but I'm going with Rivers.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:34 PM   #14
Next Miami Great

iAM-IncReDiBLe-'s Arena

OVR: 34

Vick he just had a game that no one in history has ever had two weeks ago. Right now at this moment I say hes playing at a higher level. This also isn't based on that one game, hes been doing it the whole season.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:37 PM   #15
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by kng23rich
Vick he just had a game that no one in history has ever had two weeks ago. Right now at this moment I say hes playing at a higher level. This also isn't based on that one game, hes been doing it the whole season.
You could easily point to Rivers on a pace to break most of Dan Marino's single season passing records to counter that though and remember the Chargers have had almost no one healthy at times.

It's a toss up in my books. I think my answer would change depending on the day LOL.

Right now I say Rivers by the slimmest of margins.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-23-2010, 12:40 PM   #16
Rookie

snowman5607's Arena

OVR: 8

Cut Vick's Monday night game in half and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »