Home

What's Your Take On Teams Running Up The Score?

This is a discussion on What's Your Take On Teams Running Up The Score? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-09-2010, 02:11 PM   #49
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: What's Your Take On Teams Running Up The Score?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJTurneR
So that put's the Pat's up 41-3. Jets get a TD and the score is 41-10. By additional drive I'm guessing you another drive ending in a TD. 45-17.

I wasn't actually saying "That put's them back in the game". I was taking the scenario you gave us and basically made a sarcastic point out of it as it makes no sense.

45-17, 45-3, or 41-3. None of those scores puts the Jet's back in the game when your in the 4th quarter.
That's what I was saying, so why go for it on fourth down at all? The game was already over and if you believe it wasn't then the Pats taking the 3 points is the better move strategically.

I don't think teams should quit playing when they have a big lead, but I think they should go more conservative. Take the fieldgoals, don't go for it on fourth downs, throw out trick plays/fake punts etc. and put the back ups in.

The Patriots did none of those things. Now this is a big boys league and the Jets should've stopped them but it still feels low class to me. If the Jets end up giving the Patriots the same treatment in the AFC championship game, I would laugh my *** off because they would deserve it imo.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #50
MVP

RJTurneR's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
The Patriots did none of those things. Now this is a big boys league and the Jets should've stopped them but it still feels low class to me. If the Jets end up giving the Patriots the same treatment in the AFC championship game, I would laugh my *** off because they would deserve it imo.
This quote...

Quote:
Basically the point is. If you don't like it then do something about it. If you can't do something about it then don't complain.
That is all.

Quote:
Well the game is never over. There was a Miami-Jets game about 10 years ago where Miami had a huge lead going into the 4th quarter (it was like 30something to 7) the Jets came back and won it.
Well that was 10 years ago. A lot has changed since then. But the game isn't over unless your up 70-3 (Which I doubt has and never will happen). If these teams played each other 10 times, and each time they were in the same scenario (38-3 or w/e in the 4th), the Jets would maybe only come back once or twice out of those 10 games.

Realistically, comebacks like that don't happen every blowout game. But they are possible and do happen.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #51
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJTurneR
This quote...That is all.

I didn't hear the Jets complaining and as I have said, it's a big boys league and they should've stopped them. I'm not a fan of the Jets anymore than the Patriots to be honest.

That said, I would enjoy watching the Patriots get the same treatment. It's fun seeing the school yard bullies get the black eye. Patriots/Giants superbowl was one of the best games I ever watched.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #52
MVP

RJTurneR's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Patriots/Giants superbowl was one of the best games I ever watched.
That I can agree with it. Sometimes karma hits you straight in the face.

I wouldn't call them school yard bullies though. There like the geeks who know everything and get good grades in everything. Steelers and Ravens are the real bullies.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #53
All Star

OVR: 13

As others have said, I think it's poor sportsmanship in high school or college (especially if you're Ohio State or something playing the Little Sisters of the Poor.... ), because they are just kids and some of the schools just aren't on the same plane with others in terms of talent or even commitment. But the pro's is a different story - these are paid athletes doing the only thing they are on this earth to do. If you are tired of the other team scoring, do something about it.

Of course, having said that, there's something galling about Bellichick and his complete lack of respect for seemingly every other team or coach in the league. I mean, he ran it up against Joe Gibbs a few years back...I just don't like the guy, flat-out, so pretty much everything he does pisses me off...
Old 12-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #54
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

If people are that worked up about the score, they should just add a rule where a team can throw in the towel and end the game on the spot. Seems kind of ridiculous and childish to say "You have to play until the final gun....but you aren't allowed to try your hardest either". Just end the game and be done with it so no one gets hurt.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #55
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

I don't really mind but I don't want to see anyone on my team get hurt (if we're the ones running it up) when the game is in the bag. That and payback in the NFL is a *****.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2010, 03:43 PM   #56
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
I don't really mind but I don't want to see anyone on my team get hurt (if we're the ones running it up) when the game is in the bag. That and payback in the NFL is a *****.
This for me. It makes no sense to lose a key guy for just for the sake of scoring more. Also I would like to see coaches pulling key guys on the losing team.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »