Home

How do you beat the Pats?

This is a discussion on How do you beat the Pats? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 17
How do you beat the Pats?

I ask this from a technical standpoint, because I see what they're doing on the offensive side of things, and I don't know how it can be stopped. They do what other teams do, only they have the execution down to a level of perfection right now, Brady isn't being touched. Someone is always open, and Brady always sees that guy and has the time to hit him. I used to think this was just a weakness against 3-4/heavy blitzing defenses, that Belichick knows how to exploit, only he just got done annihilating the Bears, too. Is there any defense in the league that can stop this?

On the defensive side of things, I think the Pats have a good defense, although I don't feel it's elite. They're definitely benefiting from the way their offense is dominating every game.

Right now there seems to be no way to stop this team. They can drive down field at will. You can't touch their QB, you can't cover all of their receivers, TE's, RB's. You can't stop the way they mix the run in there. They're just taking whatever they want right now. How do you beat this team? The only way I can see it is getting the pressure on Brady, but nobody can do that since the ball is out of his hand in a half second.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61
Re: How do you beat the Pats?

You do exactly what the Cleveland Browns did offensively. You need a RB that can pound the ball up the gut, wear down the defense and negate their speed while keeping the offense off the field, with a passing attack that can make the plays when they need to.

Defensively, I really don't know how you stop Brady and company as long as the offensive line is playing at this level. The old plan used to just be pressure Brady and force him to rush, but the offensive line is giving him all the time in the world right now and that's against some of the best defensive units in the league right now.

All of this "unbeatable" talk is garbage. They're very beatable, but their level of execution has been perfect these past few weeks. I could see the Falcons giving them a lot of trouble, the Saints as well because the Saints have refound their dynamic offense and if Brees is playing well he could tear about the Pats DBs. I'd say the Giants but I feel like Belichick could contain Manning this year. In the AFC - who haven't they beaten yet? That's not even trying to sound arrogant or cocky, but they've beaten the Jets, Steelers, Ravens, Chargers, Colts. The Chiefs and Jaguars are the only ones and I don't see either of them beating the Patriots. A healthy Colts team with the real Manning maybe. The Jets proved they could beat the Patriots, but that was well before all of the offensive changes.

They can, and more than likely will, be beaten but as a Pats fan I must say I feel lucky as hell to be watching Brady playing at this level, and the team in general playing this kind of football in what was supposed to be a "down" or "rebuilding" year for this team.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
All Star

OVR: 13

Go to church and pray.

That, and get a legitimate pass rush - I know Brady is solid, but he can honestly have a barbecue in the backfield every time he drops back, the O-line is giving him so much time. Any NFL QB with 4+ seconds on every drop-back is gonna find someone open every time. The recipe is still the same as the 16-0 squad - get to Brady early and often. Obviously, easier said than done...
Old 12-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
All Star

OVR: 8

The key to beating a high powered offense is to keep them off the field. So step 1 is to make sure you have a solid running game that can pound away at the defense while working the clock. Step 2 works for any offense that relies heavily on the pass, get in the quarterbacks face and make him rush his throws. Lately that's been easier said than done, but if you can do that then you're on your way to beating them.

Right now the Pats are simply executing in all facets of the game, but with the weather getting colder we might see something similar to what happened in '07 when they went undefeated. They struggled a bit down the stretch because they couldn't run the ball effectively like you really need to be able to do is December and January
Old 12-14-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

The formula is simple, but not easily executed. You have to be able to man up, especially on the underneath stuff, because that's where Brady kills you. It's the slot, the back and those two young TE's that give you fits. It should be simpler to defend the Pats without the threat of Moss over the top, but it is infinitely more complicated now. Add to that, you can't even get your linebackers to knock those underneath guys off the spot on those shallow routes.

If I had a light enough and fast enough defense like the Colts do when they are healthy, I would roll down a safety to bracket the TE with a linebacker, a similar double on the slot then take my chances on the outside. There are no really big guys in that receiving corp so I would get physical with them at the line.

As far as the running game, I would be tempted to take the approach Belichick did against the Bills in Super Bowl 25 where he gave the Bills the run. He went into the defensive meeting and said, "If we're gonna win, we want Thurman Thomas to run for over a 100 yards."

He ran for 135.

The Pats have become deadly because they have become balanced. If you're scheming then I think you have to scheme to take away the thing you're most afraid of. For me, it's the small ball. I wouldn't care if Green-Ellis and Woodhead ran for 170, I think that if I could mix in some quarters then stay with the underneath stuff in man situations then my pass rush could get to Brady and I could keep the points off the board. It would try my patience, but hey.

And I don't buy that Brady can't be touched and Pats line is all of a sudden this invincible unit a'la '07. It's the last few games that have give that impression. Quiet as kept, the Jets haven't rushed the passer that well all season, and the Bears aren't exactly on a record breaking pace for sacks, either. Although, if that game is played on a better track, I think Peppers (the catalyst for that line) gets off better and is a bigger factor. But go back to that Lions game where Brady was bounced around Ford Field the whole first half. You're going to need some depth because the Lions' got tired and had nowhere to turn, but he can be gotten to.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2010, 01:33 PM   #6
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

one thing that seems it would work, but very flawed if not executed right would be man up on them. Pressure on Brady is key I think on a dry field the Bears might have had a better chance because of there personnel,but with that snowthey couldn't get up the field. They don't run many long routes most are post slants and hooks and then throw to back in the flats or draw from shotgun and counter in single formations. Thats what i've seen so far. The athletic te's give the illusion of a run formation and they pass then they line back in that and run the ball.

Defensively i still think they are suspect. There front four are gettin great pressure and mccourty is making plays he's like a more physical asante when NE had him.

i think a no huddle grind out team could do well. That team is young and getting arrogant i think a double move on mccourty you could get open and the no huddle will get those big guys out of the middle so you could run.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
The formula is simple, but not easily executed. You have to be able to man up, especially on the underneath stuff, because that's where Brady kills you. It's the slot, the back and those two young TE's that give you fits. It should be simpler to defend the Pats without the threat of Moss over the top, but it is infinitely more complicated now. Add to that, you can't even get your linebackers to knock those underneath guys off the spot on those shallow routes.

If I had a light enough and fast enough defense like the Colts do when they are healthy, I would roll down a safety to bracket the TE with a linebacker, a similar double on the slot then take my chances on the outside. There are no really big guys in that receiving corp so I would get physical with them at the line.

As far as the running game, I would be tempted to take the approach Belichick did against the Bills in Super Bowl 25 where he gave the Bills the run. He went into the defensive meeting and said, "If we're gonna win, we want Thurman Thomas to run for over a 100 yards."

He ran for 135.

The Pats have become deadly because they have become balanced. If you're scheming then I think you have to scheme to take away the thing you're most afraid of. For me, it's the small ball. I wouldn't care if Green-Ellis and Woodhead ran for 170, I think that if I could mix in some quarters then stay with the underneath stuff in man situations then my pass rush could get to Brady and I could keep the points off the board. It would try my patience, but hey.

And I don't buy that Brady can't be touched and Pats line is all of a sudden this invincible unit a'la '07. It's the last few games that have give that impression. Quiet as kept, the Jets haven't rushed the passer that well all season, and the Bears aren't exactly on a record breaking pace for sacks, either. Although, if that game is played on a better track, I think Peppers (the catalyst for that line) gets off better and is a bigger factor. But go back to that Lions game where Brady was bounced around Ford Field the whole first half. You're going to need some depth because the Lions' got tired and had nowhere to turn, but he can be gotten to.
Senator it seems we have the same idea. i think we aren't the only ones to know this its just hard to do. i think what you need is to run like a 4-2-5 almost to stop it. i think dime spreads you out and in the 4-2-5 you could add another safety in coverage and put one in man and have a roover
Old 12-14-2010, 01:44 PM   #8
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33

The idea of how to beat them is simple but as always executing is the hardest part. This pats offense reminds be a lot of the '09 Saints offense same kind of players although I think you could make the arguement the Saints overall had better athletes. Looking at the pats it comes down to O-line play and just trying to not allow the big play. The best stategy I think might actually be to sit back hope your D-line pressures and just move up for the tackle if Brady checks it down, if you blitz you better play tight man coverage on the slot and TE

Last edited by Chrisksaint; 12-14-2010 at 01:47 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »