Home

Benching McNabb

This is a discussion on Benching McNabb within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-18-2010, 10:07 AM   #65
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Benching McNabb

Kyle Shanahan needs to be EXPOSED!

The reason McNabb has been benched twice this season is because Kyle has been lobbying for him to be benched since the Philly game..

He just dosen't like Donovan. However, if I were him, I would keep my mouth shut, just because McNabb is having a down year does not exclude him from taking some blame in how awful the offense has been this year. He no longer has Andre Johnson to help him look impressive, so he is being exposed as the fraud he IS.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2010, 10:19 AM   #66
MVP

RJTurneR's Arena

OVR: 17

The Redskins are just a badly run organization as a whole IMO. It wouldn't surprise me if they were in the Top 10 picks for the next 2 or so years. Oh wait.. they might not even have any picks.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:53 AM   #67
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcurtain311
I'm so tired of hearing "disrespect". Nobody is in this game for friendship. New Orleans cut Joe Horn when he was a freaking goodwill ambassador to that place after all of the Katrina stuff, because this isn't personal, it's business. Donovan was benched in Philly, too, and it was "disrespectful". TO bashed him for choking in the SB and it was "disrespectful". Philly parted ways with him despite all he's done for them and it was "disrespectful". Stop calling this crap "disrespect". You're not the greatest football player ever. You're a guy who's never won a SB, and hasn't had a great season in a long time. The Eagles dumped you because they knew you were done. There is no disrespect here, there is a team that doesn't think you're the guy and want to try to see if they have the guy in someone else. Kolb/Vick were both that guy. I agree that it's kind of absurd that the guy in Washington is Rex Grossman, but benching a guy like McNabb at this point in his career is not disrespectful. He isn't producing. He didn't produce last year. He was dumped for a reason. Washington plans to dump him next, so why are they going to have him playing the rest of the season? I'm tired of hearing all of these Donovan apologists talking about how he's sooo nice and nobody should ever "disrespect" him like that. Maybe he's so nice that it's why he's lost so many teams he's played with?

The person who's really being disrespected here is Rex Grossman, which is funny. People are OUTRAGED over him starting over Donovan McNabb. It really speaks to what little respect anyone associated with sports has for the name Rex Grossman. I'm not comparing the two, but most people would have laughed at the prospects of Mike Vick taking over for McNabb and the Eagles being a playoff team a year ago. Vick is not Rex, we all know that, but Vick was widely considered an average to below average QB before he took over for Donovan/Kolb too. That's not Rex Grossman, because I think there's bad, really bad, and then there's Rex Grossman, but still.

I fully agree Washington is at fault here, they're the ones who brought him in and knighted him when he's done. They only have themselves to blame. But to pile on them and call them "disrespectful" for getting rid of a guy who has been terrible is pretty stupid. They made another huge mistake, and they're paying for it.
I can see where you are coming from, but you look at this organization and how they have handled situations with numerous players, coaches and staff and you begin to see they don't really care about anyone. Like I said I don't have a problem with benching McNabb, but to make him the 3rd QB (meaning that he is technically inactive on gameday.) that is ridiculous. If the goal is still to win football games, (and if that isn't what they are trying to do then refund some of the season ticket holders.) McNabb has to be a better option than John Beck at number 2. So when you look at this Oline and the way that we scheme pass protection, there is a chance that our #2 could play in Dallas. Would you rather have McNabb who while limited you know what you've got and won't be shell shocked in there or John Beck. Now I don't have access to everything the coaches have as far as practice tape and such so I could be wrong, but I don't think Beck at second string gives them the best chance to win.

Handing a lame duck head coach, an offensive coordinator who hadn't been associated with the game in years and striping him of playcalling duties.

Having one of your soldiers fall on his sword and take the blame for a decade of horrendous personnel decisions when everyone know the owner has been making those calls.

Charging fans for parking at training camp to help pay for all the over priced, aged veterans. These are just off the top of my head. I'm sure that I could do the research and find many more.

The redskins (and lord know I love them) are one of the worst run franchises from a football standpoint in all of sports. The mistreat, players, coaches, staff and fans. So while whatever happens with McNabb from here out is "Business" the way they got there is a joke at best.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 12-18-2010, 12:52 PM   #68
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

Simply put, this just shows how horribly run the organization is from top to bottom. If I were a guy like Orakpo, Landry or any other guy with plenty of career left or even a guy like Cooley who has some good seasons left in the tank I'd be thinking of ways to GET OUT of DC as quickly as possible. The organization for over a decade now has shown they aren't committed to a single course of action. If a head coach and organization can't even treat their supposedly franchise players - McNabb & Haynesworth* - with any semblance of respect or good will, what kind of confidence does it give any other player on the team that they'll be taken care of or shown respect.

* I know, Haynesworth brought it on himself, but you don't pay $100 million for a player then attempt to fit him in a scheme that doesn't suit his abilities.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #69
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42

Yeah, Wilbon calls the Redskins the Clippers of the NFL, and that assessment is starting to seem more and more true.

PSN: dsavbeast
Old 12-18-2010, 03:11 PM   #70
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
I just think this makes McNabb look so good. Notice every case, he comes out looking like a victim. Never comes out and says anything foolish. He'll be back to a probowl level if he goes to the vikings. It'd be the first team he's ever played for w/ a legit consistent running game

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Huh? Going to the Vikings now guarantees Pro Bowl status for a quarterback? When did that happen? Favre's year last year was a complete fluke. And even so, Favre's skills last year > McNabb's skills next year.

Besides, the Vikings are probably going to be in somewhat of a rebuilding phase with a new coach, and some aging players are going to be let go. I don't see it as the greatest situation for McNabb.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:21 PM   #71
Rookie

OVR: 3

Much ado about nothing. Shanahan wants to see what the other QB's can do since the Redskins are out of the playoffs, what's so hard to understand about that? McNabb hasn't played very well this year and is nearing the twilight of his career.

What I don't understand is why, especially since it's seems that Shanahan doesn't think much of McNabb, did the Redskins sign him to a contract extension? I guess the Skins can cut him regardless. Still, what a horribly run organization.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #72
MVP

OVR: 27

The reason he's made the moves is not what's being looked at as the biggest issue, because I think we can all agree that McNabb hasn't played well this year within that system, and that for both sides it's best to move on. It's the way Shanahan has mishandled the situation that's being scrutinized and rightfully so, and Shanahan and the organization deserves every bit of heat they're getting for it. I'm in favor of benching a player, but there is a right way to address it and a wrong way and Shanahan chose the wrong way.

He simply has not handled this right at any point on any level, he's been totally unprofessional, and again he's lost that team because of it. They were with him on the Haynesworth situation, but not with this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »