Home

Bill Cowher set to return to coaching

This is a discussion on Bill Cowher set to return to coaching within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-20-2010, 12:56 AM   #25
Dog
aka jnes12/JNes__

Dog's Arena

OVR: 60
Re: Bill Cowher set to return to coaching

Please don't go to the Giants.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-20-2010, 11:28 AM   #26
Banned

Bondgirl0072's Arena

OVR: 11

good for him. I would like to see him coach The Dolphins.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:29 AM   #27
Banned

Bondgirl0072's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnes12eaglesfan
Please don't go to the Giants.

Is there a reason you don't want him going to The Giants?
Old 12-20-2010, 11:32 AM   #28

Marino's Arena

OVR: 55
Please come to Miami Bill, please replace Morono and Henning. We can get you a better QB than Captain Checkdown I promise.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:44 AM   #29
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

I'm sure this is sacriledge, but I think Bill Cowher is a little bit over rated. Yeah he's a very good coach, but I don't think he's the messiah.

I think a part of his success is a tribute to the Steelers organization itself. The Steelers never have long gluts of losing. It seems if they have an off 6-10 year they're right back the next year. They produce through the draft and develop players no matter who is the coach.

Mike Tomlim has a better win % than Cowher, and just as many rings. True he's coached fewer seasons, but that's just a testament to the organization IMO.

Anyone who thinks by getting by Cowher they're getting the Steelers and their success is crazy.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:49 AM   #30
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

I hope he comes to Dallas, he's just what that team needs to become an elite team I think.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:54 AM   #31
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jistic
I'm sure this is sacriledge, but I think Bill Cowher is a little bit over rated. Yeah he's a very good coach, but I don't think he's the messiah.

I think a part of his success is a tribute to the Steelers organization itself. The Steelers never have long gluts of losing. It seems if they have an off 6-10 year they're right back the next year. They produce through the draft and develop players no matter who is the coach.

Mike Tomlim has a better win % than Cowher, and just as many rings. True he's coached fewer seasons, but that's just a testament to the organization IMO.

Anyone who thinks by getting by Cowher they're getting the Steelers and their success is crazy.
TBF, Tomlin walked into the team Cowher already had built. He capitalized on it, and his drafting has been good, so it's not to belittle Tomlin, but the Roethlisberger-era Steelers are basically Bill Cowher/Dick LeBeau's creation. And of course, the Rooneys. Tomlin excels at being the not-Cowher, since he actually plays aggressive and to put teams away, instead of to not lose the game, like Cowher.

I've always felt Cowher's success is overrated. Can he build a team? Yes. Can he coach a team? Yes. And does both very well. Can he win the big one? Not really. Honestly, he should have had two-three rings by the time he retired from the Steelers. He had some REALLY good teams.

Still, if I'm starting from scratch, I would be more than happy with a Bill Cowher taking over. He'd at least get you the right talent in there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-20-2010, 12:53 PM   #32
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I hope he comes to Dallas, he's just what that team needs to become an elite team I think.
Not sure how Cowher and Jerruh would get along. Frankly, so long as we upgrade the defense this offseason I think I'd be fine sticking with Garrett.

I agree with the prevailing sentiment late in this thread that Cowher would be a good pickup wherever he goes, but he's not someone that will instantly bring multiple Super Bowls to a team.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »