Home

Letter from the commish

This is a discussion on Letter from the commish within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #25
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Letter from the commish

Quote:
Originally Posted by WazzuRC
Damn good response from former Broncos TE Nate Jackson (2003-2008)...
What is this from? A blog? An editorial? What?

This is a grown man, responding to a harmless letter from the commissioner with the eloquence of a 15 year old on an internet forum.

I'm not going to waste my time breaking down the foolishness of what this man had to say, it just wouldn't be worth the time. It's more rant than content anyways.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2011, 11:33 PM   #26
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by spit_bubble

This is a grown man, responding to a harmless letter from the commissioner with the eloquence of a 15 year old on an internet forum.

I'm not going to waste my time breaking down the foolishness of what this man had to say, it just wouldn't be worth the time. It's more rant than content anyways.
Completely agree.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:13 AM   #27
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by spit_bubble

I can see this, but thats also a lot of calculated words for someone just rambling at the mouth. Regardless of the quality of writing, I get a strong sense that the guy knows the climate of the players. If he doesn't, we should know pretty shortly and he will become a fool.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:22 AM   #28
MVP

mestevo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderGH
I can see this, but thats also a lot of calculated words for someone just rambling at the mouth. Regardless of the quality of writing, I get a strong sense that the guy knows the climate of the players. If he doesn't, we should know pretty shortly and he will become a fool.
Well, what else is a guy who only had 27 receptions (and almost as many special teams tackles) in a 5 year career going to do but get buddy buddy with his fellow players. His 'calculated words' were lost somewhere between his metaphors of Goodell throwing up on his keyboard, locating his nuts and calling him a pimp.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:32 AM   #29
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54
I think to me the biggest crock in this whole mess is how the owners basically planned for a work stoppage. In the last TV deal the worked it so they get $1 billion in revenue for the 2011 season even if there is a work stoppage. So while there is the potiential for players to make $0 in the event they don't reach a deal 32 owners split $1 billion?

That seems ludicrous to me. When push comes to shove what is the owners motivation to negotiate? The fact that it was built into the most recent TV deal means they were preparing for this long before they voided the old CBA.

I don't want to hear from the owners they are losing money in the event of labor unrest. Shame on the networks for going along with it.

Kevin Mawae mentioned something on Doug Gotlieb's radio show. The owners are asking for an 18% rollback in player salaries and an 18 game schedule. The average NFL career is 3.5 years not counting the preseason and playoffs that is 56 games. Change the schedule to 18 and that is 3.1 years. Average player salary in 2009 was $770,000 (x 3.5 = $2.7 mil) What are the owners going to give the players in exchange for shortened careers? That is what I want to know.

Sorry if I rambled its 330 in the morning and I can't sleep.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 01-08-2011, 06:07 AM   #30
MVP

mestevo's Arena

Both sides certainly have some valid points, they can't just be treated equally though as you have in your 'owners getting $1b, players getting nothing' argument. The teams are businesses that have to remain financially viable, have to continue paying leases on stadiums where applicable as well as other things expenses they incur even if there's no football next season. The players are simply employees, and they've been instructed by the union to make certain arrangements to prepare for a work stoppage themselves.

An 18 game season can't just suddenly be flipped on and done with, it will take a lot of negotiation back and forth to get a good deal for both sides. I expect it to happen, with maybe an extra bye week, an expanded roster, shortened preseason, etc. In the end people want more football.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #31
Most Valuable Pepe

baumy300's Arena

OVR: 40

I know I can not be the only one who thinks an 18 game schedule is a horrible idea.

NFL careers are short enough. No need to feed the greed and play two extra games so the owners and NFL can make more money.
It makes me sad
I post the frog
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »