Home

Houston Texans in 2011. Will they run the 3-4 defense?

This is a discussion on Houston Texans in 2011. Will they run the 3-4 defense? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: Houston Texans in 2011. Will they run the 3-4 defense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by z Revis
For one, there were injuries. For two, get better players. Just because you had a horrible year defensively doesn't mean you have to switch to a brand new scheme.
The defense was horrible even when it was healthy. There were injuries in the middle of the season, the only difference at the start is they were winning games instead of losing them.

And well no one said they didn't need better players.

I don't understand this fear of switching schemes. If you hire a good coach that wants to run a certain thing, you do it. Or would you rather hire a mediocre coach just so you can run the same thing? Like Frank Bush?

No, just like when Kubiak first came in. "Oh they have to re-tool their oline..." that was the big worry, yet what he did bought success, immediate success with Slaton at first then now Foster.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:35 PM   #18
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

I'll trust Phillips. He's a top-shelf DC in this league and being paid like one. If he thinks we need to switch, then we need to switch. If he thinks we CAN switch, then we probably should.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:56 PM   #19
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kng23rich
Okoye would be horrible as the NT in a 3-4. Thats a very bad idea. Hes just too small to occupy double teams.
He'd probably play the other DE spot.

Maybe they can trade some 4-3 guys for picks.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #20
Pro

Polo Bandit's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kng23rich
Okoye would be horrible as the NT in a 3-4. Thats a very bad idea. Hes just too small to occupy double teams.
I think the Amobi Okoye experiment is over anyway... hopefully.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #21
Pro

Polo Bandit's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiasco West
Well nothing says he can't do it either. He's had success his entire career. I'm more of a wait and see guy, and with how quick Demeco adjusts to things i'm just more worried about his health rather than can he play in a certain defense.

Any ways what defense the Texans will run is speculation at this point.
Same here. The last time we had a player try to come back from a serious injury (Dunta) it didn't go so well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2011, 12:33 AM   #22
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
I think it's a horrible fit in all honesty, but the NFL is such a copy-cat league that everyone is switching to the 3-4. Just makes absolutely ZERO sense for this 9 YEAR OLD FRANCHISE to invest heavily initially into being a 3-4 Defense (under Capers), then switch to 4-3 (Kubiak) and now back to 3-4? I mean, seriously 3 completely different personnel shifts and overhaul in less than a decade doesn't sound like sound management. I mean, talk about wasting picks and personnel. I'm assuming Phillips will run a hybrid of the two systems in order to make the transitions smoother.

This team will definitely need to invest heavily on one or two big NT's in order to make this work with Okoye & Cody being moved to the DE positions. While they could work at NT, I still believe they're too small. Look at Jay Ratliff in Dallas, All Pro & Pro Bowler in 2009 at NT in the 3-4 but this season teams began gameplanning against his size with double teams and he was rendered nearly ineffective all year. I don't think any DT on the Texans roster is nearly as talented Ratliff so some upgrades will need to be made or expect to be gashed up the middle all season the way the Cowboys were this year. I believe Mario Williams will make a pretty good OLB, seeing as Phillips was able to assimilate Cowboys DE Greg Ellis into a pretty good OLB after playing DE his entire football career; Williams is a much better athlete iin every way and younger than Ellis. I'll assume Phillips finds a way to make the scheme so that Mario's not in coverage - pass or run - very often.
No disrespect, but Texans can't seem to even play the 4-3 either. Kubiak has 1a of his problem solved by grabbing a hungry Wade Phillips. All Kube's need to do now are get 4 key players to make the defense great which is 1b of the solution. A playmaking center fielde( Champ Bailey is unrestricted this year and wants to play free saftey) Hiloti Ngata DT Ravens( unrestricted but Ravens are either forced to make a decision to franchise him or Ed Reed, my guess would be that they franchise Ngata and let Reed go, which would work in Houston's favor) Any 2 top corners availiable in free agency and draft your fourth linebacker. With all this said Bob McNair is really going to have to pony up some huge dollars on defense something he hasn't done since signing Mario Williams, and pray any of these free agents are even willing to play for such a team.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:12 AM   #23
MVP

Blitz1942's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
Seeing that Saint's logo in Chrisksaint's sig just reminded me of the difference the right coordinator can make. The Saints didn't change schemes, but they were a completely different defense when Gregg Williams came in with all his multiplicity. I like Wade, but I don't like the 3-4 for this team, and I definitely wouldn't like it if I was Kubiak standing on my last leg. I'd have gone out and tried to find an aggressive Williams-esque DC to put some bite in that 4-3.
This. This. This.

The 4-3 is a good defense when you have the right coordinator and personell, as is the 3-4. It will be far easier, less time consuming, and cheaper to improve their 4-3 rather than switch to a 3-4.

And again, the X Factor in all of this is Mario Williams. He's an outstanding player, no doubt about it, but on paper he just doesn't seem to fit into a 3-4. Some guys just can't be that hybrid DE/OLB that can play in both systems, while others can. I see Mario as being one of those that wouldn't be a good hybrid OLB/DE. So the only real option they'd have with him is take a risk with him at OLB, take a risk with him at DE, or trade him (which is effectively trading away the best player that defense has at this moment).
Old 01-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #24
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bitz
No disrespect, but Texans can't seem to even play the 4-3 either. Kubiak has 1a of his problem solved by grabbing a hungry Wade Phillips. All Kube's need to do now are get 4 key players to make the defense great which is 1b of the solution. A playmaking center fielde( Champ Bailey is unrestricted this year and wants to play free saftey) Hiloti Ngata DT Ravens( unrestricted but Ravens are either forced to make a decision to franchise him or Ed Reed, my guess would be that they franchise Ngata and let Reed go, which would work in Houston's favor) Any 2 top corners availiable in free agency and draft your fourth linebacker. With all this said Bob McNair is really going to have to pony up some huge dollars on defense something he hasn't done since signing Mario Williams, and pray any of these free agents are even willing to play for such a team.
While that sounds fine and good, I don't see it happening. I don't conceivably see them - or any smart team - going after 3 to 4 BIG NAME free agents for a quick turnaround, especially considering the team has some big money names on the roster: Schuab, Johnson, Daniels, and soon Arian Foster. It's just not sound team management and seems more like a move fantasy owners make on Madden.

But I agree, the Texans D has been short of horrid, even with some solid playmakers on the roster in Williams, Ryan & Cushing. Phillips has always had success as a DC, and I have no doubt he'll steadily improve this squad over the next couple seasons. I do feel that losing Duante Robinson to free agency was a big knock to the defense as a whole, and one reason why Atlanta did much better this year.

Also, with this being Williams' final contract year, I expect the team to evaluate him at the 3-4. If he simply won't work the team can Franchise Tag the guy and trade him for a team wanting a marquee DE in exchange for Picks or even personnel to best fit and transition to the 3-4 scheme.

Last edited by elgreazy1; 01-06-2011 at 08:58 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »