Home

Houston Texans in 2011. Will they run the 3-4 defense?

This is a discussion on Houston Texans in 2011. Will they run the 3-4 defense? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #33
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Houston Texans in 2011. Will they run the 3-4 defense?

Phillips has a real nice track record of turning defenses around his first year there. So either its gonna continue or, in typical Texans fashion, his luck will change.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 16

I doubt the team is looking for a instant turnaround into a dominant defense. They are looking for progression not regressing. Under Bush the defense was getting WORSE not better. By the end of the year they couldn't even stop the run despite it being a strength of their defense.

If the defense was marginally better last season, the Texans do not only win 6 games. Their offense just couldn't keep scoring 30+ points to win games.

Were the Texans desperate, likely so. But when you have had bad to mediocre defense for years and years then what are you going to do? Go out and hire a guy with a proven track record or hire just anyone so you can continue what hasn't been working? Those against the move are saying we don't have the players for a 3-4...well as someone said in this thread we don't have the players for a 4-3 either. At least now we have a proven coach at the helm. Something they have not had in the Kubiak era.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:20 PM   #35
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

We don't need a dominant defense. We need a defense that's not last in the league. If our defense was 19th best, we'd probably be in the playoffs right now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2011, 08:33 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
We don't need a dominant defense. We need a defense that's not last in the league. If our defense was 19th best, we'd probably be in the playoffs right now.
Yep exactly. A defense that can get off the field when it's 3rd and long or prevent Sanchez from driving 60 some yards down the field in 40 seconds with no timeouts for the game winning score would be nice.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #37
Pro

kwpit79's Arena

OVR: 8

Didn't Bruce Smith play the DE position in a 3-4? I'm pretty sure he did. And managed 13-14 sacks per season. Not sure why Mario Williams can't play well in that defense (not comparing Williams to Smith, mind you). Maybe there's something I'm missing. Also, I believe Reggie White played 3-4 end in Green Bay at times, though that one I could be misremembering.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:49 PM   #38
MVP

Blitz1942's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwpit79
Didn't Bruce Smith play the DE position in a 3-4? I'm pretty sure he did. And managed 13-14 sacks per season. Not sure why Mario Williams can't play well in that defense (not comparing Williams to Smith, mind you). Maybe there's something I'm missing. Also, I believe Reggie White played 3-4 end in Green Bay at times, though that one I could be misremembering.
Reggie played in the 4-3.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »