Home

Houston Texans in 2011. Will they run the 3-4 defense?

This is a discussion on Houston Texans in 2011. Will they run the 3-4 defense? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
GO RAYS!!!

daniverson1973's Arena

OVR: 18
Houston Texans in 2011. Will they run the 3-4 defense?

Texans hired Wade Phillips as their d-coordinator today.
I think this is a great move for Houston, and not to mention, thier current personnel fits the 3-4 IMO, very well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines
GO GATORS

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
GO RAYS!!!

daniverson1973's Arena

Re: Houston Texans in 2011. Will they run the 3-4 defense?

im guessing their front seven would be something like this:

DT-Mario Williams
NT-Amobi Okoye/Damione Lewis
DT-Antonio Smith/Earl Mitchell
OLB/RushEnd-Brian Cushing
OLB/RushEnd-Connor Barwin/Mark Anderson
ILB-DeMeco Ryans
ILB-Zac Diles/Daryl Sharpton

I could really see them flourishing in this scheme, especially Cushing & Barwin
GO GATORS

Old 01-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniverson1973
Texans hired Wade Phillips as their d-coordinator today.
I think this is a great move for Houston, and not to mention, thier current personnel fits the 3-4 IMO, very well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines
How so?

I think Cushing is a guy that could thrive in any system. He did play the Elephant at USC where he was a stand up rusher on pass downs, I could maybe see Ryans fitting in the 3-4, but beyond them I don't like the 3-4 for this current front of players.

Who's going to be the massive nose tackle to make the scheme work? Cody and Okoye are penetrators, not guys who eat up double-teams. Who's going to be the other rush backer? I don't think it's an easy fit for Mario Williams to move to OLB where he would have to play in space, and making him a 5 technique is just a waste of his talents.

The move is doable, but it's going to be complicated.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:14 PM   #4
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniverson1973
im guessing their front seven would be something like this:

DT-Mario Williams
NT-Amobi Okoye/Damione Lewis
DT-Antonio Smith/Earl Mitchell
OLB/RushEnd-Brian Cushing
OLB/RushEnd-Connor Barwin/Mark Anderson
ILB-DeMeco Ryans
ILB-Zac Diles/Daryl Sharpton

I could really see them flourishing in this scheme, especially Cushing & Barwin
Just saw this.

I'm not sure Okoye fits as the NT, altough Wade does have a way of re-working his scheme. He might implore more of an attacking 1 gap scheme that Okoye could use his quickness in, but I don't know. I still think they need a bonafide big body there. I could see Cody and Okoye becoming the Ends.

Barwin, I could maybe see at OLB, he was a tweener guy coming out. Cushing, I think will be a move guy. I could see him playing outside rusher in Nickel and on pass downs, and ILB on base downs. Beyond that, I think Antonio Smith and Super Mario will struggle to fit in.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:16 PM   #5
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

I think it's a horrible fit in all honesty, but the NFL is such a copy-cat league that everyone is switching to the 3-4. Just makes absolutely ZERO sense for this 9 YEAR OLD FRANCHISE to invest heavily initially into being a 3-4 Defense (under Capers), then switch to 4-3 (Kubiak) and now back to 3-4? I mean, seriously 3 completely different personnel shifts and overhaul in less than a decade doesn't sound like sound management. I mean, talk about wasting picks and personnel. I'm assuming Phillips will run a hybrid of the two systems in order to make the transitions smoother.

This team will definitely need to invest heavily on one or two big NT's in order to make this work with Okoye & Cody being moved to the DE positions. While they could work at NT, I still believe they're too small. Look at Jay Ratliff in Dallas, All Pro & Pro Bowler in 2009 at NT in the 3-4 but this season teams began gameplanning against his size with double teams and he was rendered nearly ineffective all year. I don't think any DT on the Texans roster is nearly as talented Ratliff so some upgrades will need to be made or expect to be gashed up the middle all season the way the Cowboys were this year. I believe Mario Williams will make a pretty good OLB, seeing as Phillips was able to assimilate Cowboys DE Greg Ellis into a pretty good OLB after playing DE his entire football career; Williams is a much better athlete iin every way and younger than Ellis. I'll assume Phillips finds a way to make the scheme so that Mario's not in coverage - pass or run - very often.

Last edited by elgreazy1; 01-05-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
MVP

Blitz1942's Arena

OVR: 20

Texans hardly have the personell for a 3-4. Okoye is too small to be a NT, although could be a decent 3-4 DE. Mario Williams is the confusing one though, as he really doesn't fit anywhere into a 3-4 (similar to how Kampman just can't fit into a 3-4). Cushing is really their only linebacker that would fit into the 3-4 as well.

If they did switch to a 3-4, it'll take several transition years before it's decent. They should just stick with the 4-3 IMO.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 16

Anyone thinking that Demeco can't play in a 3-4 really haven't seen him play. He can play in any defense, this guy is a student of the game. He picked up the texans initial defense in camp and became the leader of said defense week 1. Plus he is much better blitzing than covering if you ask me. He always makes the biggest plays when he is moving forward.

Same can be said for Cushing. Just keep that guy going after the QB. Also Barwin is a really talented player, he did not get to play his 2nd year but I think he is ideal.

As for Mario, they will find a way to use him. He's not some lumbering DE with no lateral quickness though, there is a reason he was drafted so high. Mario is on his last year I believe so it's not a huge risk.

The only thing that is really missing in the front 7, the big space eater. Hopefully we can make some moves to acquire some. But they also need a cover safety big time.

I have no problem with the switch. Once again...the Texans defense was HORRIBLE...HORRIBLE...if it was even marginally better maybe they are preparing for a game this saturday. It's obvious the 4-3 wasn't working either.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz1942
Texans hardly have the personell for a 3-4. Okoye is too small to be a NT, although could be a decent 3-4 DE. Mario Williams is the confusing one though, as he really doesn't fit anywhere into a 3-4 (similar to how Kampman just can't fit into a 3-4). Cushing is really their only linebacker that would fit into the 3-4 as well.

If they did switch to a 3-4, it'll take several transition years before it's decent. They should just stick with the 4-3 IMO.
Yeah, but have you seen them play defense last year? It was beyond terrible. There is no reason to stick with what is not working.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »