Home

Its time for a new type of quarterback in the NFL

This is a discussion on Its time for a new type of quarterback in the NFL within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-18-2011, 02:06 AM   #73
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Its time for a new type of quarterback in the NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood

This thread is a joke right? I mean seriously...

Find me the "mobile qb" who won the Super Bowl in this list (and this is just the last ten years):

XXXIV - 1/30/00
Kurt Warner, St. Louis Rams - Northern Iowa (28)
Steve McNair, Tennessee Titans - Alcorn State (26)

XXXV - 1/28/01
Trent Dilfer, Baltimore Ravens - Fresno State (28)
Kerry Collins, New York Giants - Penn State (28)

XXXVI - 2/3/02
Tom Brady, New England Patriots - Michigan (24)
Kurt Warner, St. Louis Rams - Northern Iowa (30)

XXXVII - 1/26/03
Brad Johnson, Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Florida State (34)
Rich Gannon, Oakland Raiders - Delaware (37)

XXXVIII - 2/1/04
Tom Brady, New England Patriots - Michigan (26)
Jake Delhomme, Carolina Panthers - Louisiana-Lafayette (29)

XXXVIX - 2/6/05
Tom Brady, New England Patriots - Michigan (27)
Donovan McNabb, Philadelphia - Syracuse (28)

XL - 2/5/06
Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers - Miami (OH) (23)
Matt Hasselbeck, Seattle - Boston College (30)

XLI - 2/4/07
Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts - Tennessee (30)
Rex Grossman, Chicago Bears - Florida (26)

XLII - 2/3/08
Eli Manning, New York Giants - Ole Miss (27)
Tom Brady, New England Patriots - Michigan (30)

XLIII - 2/1/09
Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers - (26)
Kurt Warner, Arizona Cardinals - (37)

XLIV - 2/7/10
Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints - (31)
Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts - (33)

Ok, I'm just going to say it... this has to be the most outrageous, uninformed thread start I've read in here in a LONG time.

It goes right up there with the Jake Delhomme for the Hall of Fame threads.
You don't think he should be in?
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 01-18-2011, 02:11 AM   #74
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
You don't think he should be in?

I miss those threads.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 01-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #75
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

there are only two qb's in the league i think fall under mobile qb's Ben and Aaron. they can read defense and make accurate passes. Vick will always a qb with potential, but old habits are hard to break. Very mobile qb's always have a achilles heal that keeps them from being great whether its them and their inability to read defense, make the tough throw or accuracy. In case of Cunningham, I think it was the team more than him. He couldn't keep a LT that would protect him and Eagles had a lack luster run game.

of the two I stated even still i really don't consider Ben a mobile qb more than just a playmaker if he can run and get the first down he will, but his game is more about breaking tackles even when you have him dead to rights. Aaron has more of mobile qb mentality, but he can stand back their and pick you apart no matter the coverage. When you play Aaron you don't play defense for Aaron to beat you with his arm like you would Vick, because Aaron would kill you. You wanna make Aaron dump the ball and not hit the deep and intermediate passes he can do on the regular.

Ben you just don't want him to break the first tackle you need three to five guys tackling him cause if he gets out the first tackle something ridiculous is about to happen. Watching him play is like watch street football you don't know what's going to happen. But at least for me Ben biggest flaw is the holding on to the ball , i'm not really sure if its a progression thing or he just like to throw deeper passes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #76
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova57
there are only two qb's in the league i think fall under mobile qb's Ben and Aaron. they can read defense and make accurate passes. Vick will always a qb with potential, but old habits are hard to break. Very mobile qb's always have a achilles heal that keeps them from being great whether its them and their inability to read defense, make the tough throw or accuracy. In case of Cunningham, I think it was the team more than him. He couldn't keep a LT that would protect him and Eagles had a lack luster run game.

of the two I stated even still i really don't consider Ben a mobile qb more than just a playmaker if he can run and get the first down he will, but his game is more about breaking tackles even when you have him dead to rights. Aaron has more of mobile qb mentality, but he can stand back their and pick you apart no matter the coverage. When you play Aaron you don't play defense for Aaron to beat you with his arm like you would Vick, because Aaron would kill you. You wanna make Aaron dump the ball and not hit the deep and intermediate passes he can do on the regular.

Ben you just don't want him to break the first tackle you need three to five guys tackling him cause if he gets out the first tackle something ridiculous is about to happen. Watching him play is like watch street football you don't know what's going to happen. But at least for me Ben biggest flaw is the holding on to the ball , i'm not really sure if its a progression thing or he just like to throw deeper passes.
Josh Freeman and Ryan Fitzpatrick can probably be thrown in there to a degree as well. Freeman reminds me of Big Ben in a lot of ways really with the way he evades sacks and can run if the play breaks down.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 01-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #77
MVP

Hova57's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
Josh Freeman and Ryan Fitzpatrick can probably be thrown in there to a degree as well. Freeman reminds me of Big Ben in a lot of ways really with the way he evades sacks and can run if the play breaks down.
I thought about him too,I want to see one more year of him, I think he's bout to be a staple in the NFL. Really good young qb lead his team on a couple of comebacks because of his ability. The steelers themselves had issue taking him down.

My biggest worry with guys like him and ben is to know when to go down. I've see like five guys hang on to Ben and he didn't want to go down. One of the ugliest sacks I saw Ben take this year was in the Saints game I think there was like 9 guys taking him down. they look like a bunch of Raptors jumping on a T-Rex
Old 01-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #78
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Big Ben is FAR from a mobile QB. He's hard to bring down and read pockets well. Honestly, if he's considered mobile then Manning and Brees should be too.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #79
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Big Ben is FAR from a mobile QB. He's hard to bring down and read pockets well. Honestly, if he's considered mobile then Manning and Brees should be too.
+1

I just didnt want to be the guy that said it. He is not mobile, he just doesnt go down.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #80
MVP

Hova57's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
He's more mobile than both of them. I think it really comes down to your definition of mobile qb. Flacco could be considered , but doesn't do it on a regular basis. I don't think a mobile qb is one who needs to rush 100 yards a game, but makes plays with his feet to gain better perspective or yardage relevant to first downs. But his first responsibility is pass. i belive wharton you look at guys like Mcnabb, Vick, VY , Tebow, T jack as mobile qb's but first instinct of pressure is to run. Mcnabb kinda took himself out of that group, but in the beginning of his career was def one.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »