Home

Its time for a new type of quarterback in the NFL

This is a discussion on Its time for a new type of quarterback in the NFL within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-17-2011, 01:54 AM   #41
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Its time for a new type of quarterback in the NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_larry
When I say a mobile QB I mean a quarterback that priority is pass first, but when there is nothing there or they get blitz they are able to make plays with their feet in the pocket or run for a gain. The Brady's and Manning's of the world have been figured out in the NFL, they will never win another super bowl. Defensive's are too good now a days to just let a QB sit back and pick them a part, just take a look at all the QB's remaining in the playoffs, they are mobile, no the don't take off running all the time, but the are mobile in the pocket, can avoid sacks, and take off running if the have too.
Completely disagree. If anything, new NFL rules allow for pocket passers to dominate. What has been figured out? Just pressure guys like Manning and Brady? That's fine, but it's much easier said than done. They've made a living eating up blitzes and most teams can't provide enough pass rush with only 4 guys (it worked against Brady in the SuperBowl against the Giants and today against the Jets). That's not a new concept though.

Manning's pocket presence is so good, defenders have to stay in their rush lanes like they're facing Vick. If he sees the LE lose contain, he'll simply roll that way and make a throw shorter and with an easier angle. That's all the mobility a QB really needs. Being able to run is great, I think that's one of the reasons Garrard is so underrated. He picks up so many 1st downs with his legs, and the game is all about moving the chains.

This is not ground breaking, game changing or anything of the sort.

What do the 4 remaining teams really have in common.....it's not the QBS.......it's the defenses. They all play defense, and it has a lot more to do with that then having "mobile" QBs (Sanchez, really?).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2011, 01:56 AM   #42
MVP

Palo20's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBorn1
No, its time for the Pats, Saints and Colts to find a DEFENSE.

You know what the final four teams all have that other teams don't? GREAT DEFENSIVE PLAY ON A CONSISTENT BASIS
Didn't see your post before I wrote above.

You're absolutely right.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:58 AM   #43
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
What do the 4 remaining teams really have in common.....it's not the QBS.......it's the defenses. They all play defense, and it has a lot more to do with that then having "mobile" QBs (Sanchez, really?).
And that's what Tom Brady and Peyton Manning also have in common with all of their SB wins.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:00 AM   #44
Banned

OVR: 55

Quote:
The Brady's and Manning's of the world have been figured out in the NFL, they will never win another super bowl.

You're a funny kid, you know.
What time are you due back in Boys Town?
Old 01-17-2011, 02:02 AM   #45
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33

If the Mannings and Bradys of the world have been figured out how come they keep putting up rediculous stats no matter what defenses do?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #46
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

i disagree with OP, i like the pocket passers, they are my favorite Qb's to watch, and the league needs to get back to more pocket passing... guys need to study more tape and make reads better and not take off....

i luv vick and his entertaining runs but its even better when he delivers a pinpoint pass between defenders

i am old school when it comes to QB's i dont wanna evolve, if 6 teams have scramblers thats enough IMO for the entire league....

this is why i dislike college foorball now too many gimmick Qb's get the spotlight,

also these "mobile QB's" always get banged up then the unproven pocket QB comes in....their lineman also get called for alot more holding and their linemen also get alot of undeserved sacks added to their stats...due to the mobile extend the play guys

i am not saying they should be a statue like drew bledsoe, evade in the pocket, and not hang your linemen out to dry,

#18 greatest EVA....

Last edited by carnalnirvana; 01-17-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:59 AM   #47
MVP

sniperhare's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
The days of the Tom Brady's and Peyton Manning's dominating defenses in the are done, especially in the playoffs. In this day and age you can not win with pure pocket passers, you have to have a mobile quarterback. Defenses are too fast and are blitz happy now a days.
I was just watching the New England v. Jets game today, and it was pitiful to see Tom Brady just sit back there like a statue and take those sacks. Aaron Rodgers would have gotten away from most of the sacks, and he would have ran or bought more time on the plays where Tom was sacked because of good coverage.
Just look at the QB's remaining in the playoffs..... Aaron Rogers, Big Ben, Jay Cutler, and Marc Sanchez, who escaped out the pocket in the first half of the game today and threw a big first down to Braylon Edwards to setup a score.
So if Im drafting a QB, mobility would be at the top of my list, I would draft a Cam Newton and coach him to move the pocket while keeping his eyes down the field. These are my observations during these playoffs, if you wanna win championships you have to have a mobile QB.
You draft QB's to throw the ball, not run. Their ability to pass should be the most important. Mobile means they can move in the pocket, Brady is mobile, sometimes QB's need to take a sack. Plus he's used to one of his WR's getting open.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:00 AM   #48
MVP

OVR: 15

This is the craziest post ever. I can't even think of a QB who is considered "mobile" ever winning a Superbowl. Steven Young and John Elway did, but Elway was older and didn't quite have the legs he had earlier in his career. Cunningham, Vick, Tarkenton, etc.....

Big Ben is elusive, but not a runner. As a matter of fact, if we trace back it's Brees, Big Ben, Eli, Peyton, Big Ben, Brady, Brady, Johnson, Brady, Dilfer, Warner.....that's ELEVEN STRAIGHT YEARS until we even get close to a qb who can be considered a running qb. And if you don't consider Elway a running QB at that point, you can keep going back a few years with Favre and Aikman and then arrive at Young. Then you've got more Aikman, Mark Rypien, Jeff Hostetler, Montana, Doug Williams, Phil Simms.......

Crazy. I also will say I think John Elway was the best I've seen and he's the perfect combo of having an arm and being able to keep a play alive, although Big Ben does those things well too. I think Cam's going to be a bust personally....

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »