Home

Its time for a new type of quarterback in the NFL

This is a discussion on Its time for a new type of quarterback in the NFL within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-17-2011, 09:24 AM   #49
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: Its time for a new type of quarterback in the NFL

I don't think we need a new type of QB at all. Look, I agree that guys who CAN'T move the pocket probably can't work in the league today unless they have a quick release a la Dan Marino but you can still have pocket passer who are able from time to time use their feet.

In fact, look at Drew Brees, he's not gonna be mistaken for a Steve Young but the guy is able to roam out of the pocket in order to make a throw. That's what pocket passers need to have to be successful. The ability to use your feet once in a while is key. If you can't or are unwilling to run every once in a while then you're gonna get beat. There were a few times yesterday where Brady could've made a 5 yard dash to the sideline but he chose not to. I think if he was able to do that it'd put more pressure on the Jets D-Line to get to him because more than a few times Brady had ALL day to throw but everyone was covered yet he ate the ball or threw it away.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 01-17-2011, 09:48 AM   #50
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

I don't think you have to be a good running QB's to be successful. As long as they have great footwork to evade the rush and keep their eyes down field they will be fine. Look at Vick. Before this year, anytime he got in trouble he would take off and run. Then this year he finally showed some pocket presence and kept his eyes down-field and he EASILY had the best year of his career.

I do agree that some mobility does help. However, I'd take accuracy over mobility any day. I mean, would anyone in the right mind really take Vince Young over Drew Brees? I don't think so...

As far as the Brady and Manning's have been figured out comments

As much as I hate the saying it fits here: "Overreaction Sports At It's Finest".

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 01-17-2011, 10:44 AM   #51
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
In fact, look at Drew Brees, he's not gonna be mistaken for a Steve Young but the guy is able to roam out of the pocket in order to make a throw. That's what pocket passers need to have to be successful.
Exactly. That's what I believe the OP is trying to get at. QB's that can escape pressure, spin out of and avoid would-be sacks and make plays outside the pocket - those QB's are becoming more and more of a must-have vs. the statue-esque pocket passers. Seriously, the size, speed, and agility combination of the defensive players entering the league each year is becoming mind-boggling. You need not only a QB who can make the throws but one who can create something when the play and the pocket breaks down. That's the reason why a lack of mobility and escapability is viewed as a negative when scouting quarterbacks - not a plus.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #52
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33

I can't find a better video or example but it's still good, go to the play at around :17 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3P6K8pDTy8 that's all you need your pocket QB to do essentially
Old 01-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #53
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi
Exactly. That's what I believe the OP is trying to get at. QB's that can escape pressure, spin out of and avoid would-be sacks and make plays outside the pocket - those QB's are becoming more and more of a must-have vs. the statue-esque pocket passers. Seriously, the size, speed, and agility combination of the defensive players entering the league each year is becoming mind-boggling. You need not only a QB who can make the throws but one who can create something when the play and the pocket breaks down. That's the reason why a lack of mobility and escapability is viewed as a negative when scouting quarterbacks - not a plus.
So in agreeing with the OP, you are also on board with "The Brady's and Manning's of the world have been figured out in the NFL, they will never win another super bowl."
Old 01-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #54
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi
So in agreeing with the OP, you are also on board with "The Brady's and Manning's of the world have been figured out in the NFL, they will never win another super bowl."
I bolded the part of my post that you either overlooked or misread completely.

Last edited by Kanobi; 01-17-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #55
Banned

OVR: 32

I seriously remember when so many people were on the "Vick is the future of the QB position" bandwagon. That was what, almost 10 years ago? People were saying how with how fast defenses were, a QB like him would thrive, while your old, boring pocket passes would be a thing of the past. That didn't happen. Vick has always been pretty good, but in my opinion, he has never been an elite QB.

Nothing will EVER replace the value of a quarterback who is smart and can read defenses. Tom Brady and Peyton WILL win more Super Bowls before their careers are done. If not, a guy like Matt Ryan will.

If the point is that a QB some needs some mobility to be successful, I won't argue with that, but to say pocket passers are done in this league is utterly hilarious. Also, I feel the OP was giving conflicting opinions. Are we talking about a QB who is mobile, like Rodgers, or are we talking about a Cam Newton type who is not only mobile but can also be considered a true dual-threat QB? A lot of QB's are mobile and can elude blitzes, but that also has a lot to do with blocking schemes and other things that people don't realize.

I think some are overreacting here but I also think some are trying to put words into the OP's mouth. He made it sound like he's in the same camp as those "Vick is the new deal" people that were saying the same thing 10 years ago.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2011, 01:29 PM   #56
C*rr*ntly *n L*f* T*lt

USF11's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle
I seriously remember when so many people were on the "Vick is the future of the QB position" bandwagon. That was what, almost 10 years ago? People were saying how with how fast defenses were, a QB like him would thrive, while your old, boring pocket passes would be a thing of the past. That didn't happen. Vick has always been pretty good, but in my opinion, he has never been an elite QB.

Nothing will EVER replace the value of a quarterback who is smart and can read defenses. Tom Brady and Peyton WILL win more Super Bowls before their careers are done. If not, a guy like Matt Ryan will.

If the point is that a QB some needs some mobility to be successful, I won't argue with that, but to say pocket passers are done in this league is utterly hilarious. Also, I feel the OP was giving conflicting opinions. Are we talking about a QB who is mobile, like Rodgers, or are we talking about a Cam Newton type who is not only mobile but can also be considered a true dual-threat QB? A lot of QB's are mobile and can elude blitzes, but that also has a lot to do with blocking schemes and other things that people don't realize.

I think some are overreacting here but I also think some are trying to put words into the OP's mouth. He made it sound like he's in the same camp as those "Vick is the new deal" people that were saying the same thing 10 years ago.
Haven't we learned anything yet about spread option quarterbacks NOT being able to transition to the NFL.

Cam Newton probably shouldn't even be drafted.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »