Home

Super Bowl XLV: Pittsburgh Steelers v. Green Bay Packers

This is a discussion on Super Bowl XLV: Pittsburgh Steelers v. Green Bay Packers within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-23-2011, 11:10 PM   #65
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Super Bowl XLV: Pittsburgh Steelers v. Green Bay Packers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
I didn't know that about McCarthy. You learn something new every day

About Big Ben, if he wins the SB I daresay we may be witnessing one of the greatest QBs in league history. He isn't as flashy as Brady can be or as marketable as Manning but the guy just gets it done and often playing sick/hurt.

He may be a louse of a guy personally but as a football player I wouldn't want any other guy as my QB.
Like I've said many times over about Ben, others can keep their fantasy football stat padding gems, I'll take this guy every day of the week. He struggled against a great pass D today, but still found a way to get it done by running for 3 first downs, (including a TD), and 2 late clutch passes on 3rd down to seal the game.

Elite QBs struggle, we've seen it in these playoffs yet again, but some of them aren't willing to play hurt, take hits, and do whatever needs to be done to get the win. I see alot of that fight Ben has in Rodgers also. This SB will have my 2 favorite QBs playing.

Good times
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2011, 11:10 PM   #66
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Great SB match up. Wish the Jets were in instead of the Steelers but this should be a great game. Go Pack.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 01-23-2011, 11:15 PM   #67
MVP

Dirty Turtles's Arena

OVR: 10

GO PACKERS! As a Packer fan in Steeler country, this is going to be a loooooooooooooong two weeks.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:16 PM   #68
#BurghProud

BurghFan's Arena

OVR: 34

Should be a great game. The Steelers have SB experience, but the Packers are the hottest team in the league right now.

Steelers: IX, X, XIII, XIV, XL, XLIII
Penguins:1990/91, 1991/92, 2008/09, 20015/16, 2016/17
Pirates:1909, 1925, 1960, 1971, 1979
Panthers (FB): 1915, 1916, 1918, 1929, 1931, 1934, 1936, 1937, 1976
Panthers (MBB): 1927/28, 1929/30
Old 01-23-2011, 11:19 PM   #69
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Because I'm bored I'm going to break down the game by position groups.

Quarterbacks: both teams have fantastic quarterbacks in Aaron Rodgers and Ben Roethlisberger, and I don't think that the level of play between the two will be too markedly different. I give Pittsburgh the edge here because of Roethlisberger's championship experience.

Offensive backfield: the Packers have a reputation as a team that can't run the ball. They've done a fair amount of work to change that in the playoffs, primarily due to the the play of their offensive line and rookie James Starks. That said, I give Pittsburgh a significant edge here with Rashard Mendenhall's ability to just grind and be a workhorse.

Receivers and tight ends: not a slight against the Steelers' receivers, but I'd personally take the Packers' receivers over just about any group in the league. They have the top-end talent, they are deep, they can beat you short, and they can beat you deep. Quite a group here.

Offensive line: the big question mark on offense for both teams. Comparing how the two are performing this postseason, the Steelers have allowed nine sacks in two games, to the Packers' five in three games. That stat notwithstanding I don't think there's a distinct advantage for either team here and, like I said earlier in this thread, I think the performance of each team's offensive line is going to be key.

Defensive line: Honestly tough for me to judge. Both teams have great 3-4 fronts. I've watched a lot more of the Packers and I'm impressed with recent performances by B.J. Raji in particular, and getting Cullen Jenkins back is a huge boost for them. For the Steelers, former first-round pick Ziggy Hood is coming along nicely for them, and Casey Hampton is still a rock in the center of the line. I'm inclined to say "push" here.

Linebackers: The Packers have been able to plug-and-play linebackers all season with little drop-off; they've lost Nick Barnett, Brandon Chillar, Brady Poppinga, and Brad Jones to injured reserve over the course of the season. The star here is obviously Clay Matthews and his pass-rushing ability, but keep an eye on Desmond Bishop who has played really well as of late. The Steelers have the usual suspects in James Harrison, Lamarr Woodley, and James Farrior, all of whom are great players, and they have depth behind them. Giving the edge to the Steelers here.

Defensive backs: This is one area where I really like the Packers. Their top five defensive backs are all playing well lately, those being Charles Woodson, Tramon Williams, Nick Collins, Sam Shields, and Charlie Peprah. I honestly am not familiar enough with the Steelers' secondary to make a fair assessment here; having Troy Polamalu healthy will help a lot, if they can get that to happen.

Special teams: neither team really boasts a 'name' special teams player; Mason Crosby and Shaun Suisham are both competent kickers; Suisham being a more accurate kicker (made 14 of 15 in the 2010 regular season, long of 48) while Crosby being more of a power type (2010 season long of 56). The punters - Tim Masthay and Jeremy Kapinos - are both capable; interestingly enough Kapinos at one point recently played for the Packers. Neither team really boasts a feared kick returner, though I suppose it might be worth keeping an eye on Antwan Randle-El and Charles Woodson for their past successes at the position.

Coaching: the edge here has to go to the Steelers given their championship pedigree. That said, I look forward to seeing how Dick LeBeau and Dom Capers call their teams' respective defenses; both are defensive masterminds.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:24 PM   #70
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
About Big Ben, if he wins the SB I daresay we may be witnessing one of the greatest QBs in league history. He isn't as flashy as Brady can be or as marketable as Manning but the guy just gets it done and often playing sick/hurt.

He may be a louse of a guy personally but as a football player I wouldn't want any other guy as my QB.
I want to see him do it without a great defense. I want to see him carry his team week in and week out, year in and year out. Big Ben isn't even the best or most valuable player on the Steelers. This Post Season didn't change my stance on Big Ben at all. He's very good and does what he needs to do to win games, but there are still 4-5 QB's I'd take before I'm taking Big Ben.

Embracing the backlash I get from this post, but understand that it's just my opinion.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 01-23-2011, 11:24 PM   #71
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

One thing I notice about James Starks and it's something they better change with him or else the Packers are going to have a hard time gaining yards on the ground is that he tends to run to the right 90% of the time. Yes he was getting some success doing that against the Bears but it's a tendency that will get figured out quickly.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2011, 11:29 PM   #72
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33

I'm not understanding the well they've been there and done that argument. Just because a team has been to the playoff almost every year and has won a doesn't mean a team has an advantage. The game is played on the field in 2 weeks not years ago

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »