Home

Jeff Fisher reportedly gone from Titans

This is a discussion on Jeff Fisher reportedly gone from Titans within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #49
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Jeff Fisher reportedly gone from Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
What was the deal with Washburn? That kind of slid under the radar last week, but it sure got my attention. I thought the situation was doomed after Wash left. One of the analysts, I believe it was ESPN, said that Washburn was fired, but I didn't hear anything like that and it didn't make sense because if how close he and Jeff were.

Was he let go? Or did he just beat it out of town because he knew Jeff was going to be a lame duck in 2011?

that was a mess up by ESPN, I think Herm Edwards said that on ESPN and he was actually wrong. I heard Kuharsky straighten it out. Washburn's contract was up and he just signed with the Eagles. He wasnt the Titans employee to fire.

I think the main "thing" thats being put together now is the situation with Cecil. Allegedly, Fisher signed him to a contract extension 3 weeks ago, then fired him, people are saying the rest of the FO might not have known about the extension, or they just smell something funny with the way it went down like Fisher was taking care of his dude,
Old 01-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #50
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshadow11
Fisher did a lot with sub-par talent. No talented receivers, average to poor QBs. Put him in with good ownership and see what he does.

This is what happens when non Titans fans watch too much ESPN. Look man, Im not going to say Fisher is a"horrible coach" yada yada yada. Hes alright, after 16 years its time for a change.. End of story.

You are completely off base though. Fisher drafted McNair. McNair was "fishers guy". How many draft picks did we waste on receivers that didnt work out. Fisher chose to draft defense and he chose to draft running backs. Those were his decisions. The Titans didnt have good WR's because Fisher did not develop good receivers and/or didnt feel they were as important as other areas.

You are also way off base with the "put him with good ownership". This sounds absolutely ridiculous and Im wondering if your confusing the Titans with the raiders? Jeff Fisher has had complete control over this team. Bud Adams has given Fisher total control and for a very long time stayed out of his way. There has been a very public thing between Adams and VY which soured Adams reputation in the short term, but the dude has let Fisher do his thing, and Fisher could not prevail.

I doubt Fisher is ever in the position in the future like the one he was in with the Titans.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #51
Rookie

dsallupinyaarea's Arena

OVR: 7

6 playoff appearances in 16 years. 4 division titles. career .542 winning percentage. Had 2 different 6 game losing streaks in the past 2 years. Just screams mediocrity. It was time for a change.

That being said,
1. The timing is awful if he was fired.
2. You have to let go of VY too. You can't send the message that players can effectively "fire" their coaches.

twitter - @dsallupinyaarea
psn - dsallupinyaarea8
xbox - dsallupinyoarea
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2011, 11:01 AM   #52
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderGH
Washburn's contract was up and he just signed with the Eagles. He wasnt the Titans employee to fire.
OKay, so he wasn't fired. That leads to my other point then. I have to believe that Washburn was offered another contract if Cecil was, because I'd argue that Wash was a lot more vital to that team than Cecil could ever be. If Wash decided to bounce a week before this goes down with Jeff, then I'm wondering if the writing was on the wall.

And if the writing was on the wall last week, it had to have been there a few weeks ago when they were "evaluating" Fisher/Young. Then why not take a little more time instead of hastily bouncing Young? Or maybe I'm reading too much into it. Maybe the FO did decide to go with Fisher, because as has been reported, the FO wanted Young out anyway, then Fisher -- going into a lame duck year with no quarterback -- tried to pull the sneak move a few weeks later by pumping more money to his staff, ultimately making the situation untenable.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:41 AM   #53
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

I wonder if it's too late to fire Kubiak?
Old 01-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #54
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
OKay, so he wasn't fired. That leads to my other point then. I have to believe that Washburn was offered another contract if Cecil was, because I'd argue that Wash was a lot more vital to that team than Cecil could ever be. If Wash decided to bounce a week before this goes down with Jeff, then I'm wondering if the writing was on the wall.

This is where the sketchy stuff is coming in i believe. Cecil did a last minute under the table extension whereas the rest of the staffs' contacts ended and the Titans wouldnt/couldnt match other offers. Like the Eagles offered wash years and money whereas Fisher could offer a year with a bunch of question marks.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #55
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kng23rich
Saw on espn that it had to do with Fisher wanting his son to be on staff as a quality control coach. Bud Adams doesn't want family members on staff, no free rides. So I guess with him losing faith in Fisher that was the last straw.
Lol not gonna lie that's kinda BS it's only as a quality control coach lol, but I guess I can understand the reasoning. Gregg Williams would only come to NO if they promised his son could be an assistant so I guess quite a few owners do this as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #56
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallupinyaarea
6 playoff appearances in 16 years. 4 division titles. career .542 winning percentage. Had 2 different 6 game losing streaks in the past 2 years. Just screams mediocrity. It was time for a change.

That being said,
1. The timing is awful if he was fired.
2. You have to let go of VY too. You can't send the message that players can effectively "fire" their coaches.
I don't think #2 is an issue because they already chose Fisher over VY. I think if anything because they already put it out there that VY is gone weither through trade or being released you can't bring him back. That ship has sailed.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »