Home

So....What Team has More Championships?

This is a discussion on So....What Team has More Championships? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #17
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: So....What Team has More Championships?

I hold Super Bowls in a higher regard. Doesn't mean pre-merger doesn't count, though. Does any of this even matter anyways? The majority of us probably weren't even alive for most of the Packers and Steelers championships. It'd be like me bragging about Notre Dame having the most National Championships in football. No one gives a crap because it dates back to the 20's and we haven't won one since '88.

EDIT: I should clarify. I'm not saying history doesn't mean anything. You should definitely recognize what your team did in it's history, or even the sport in general. But.. going back to my Notre Dame example, while I recognize what they did and their excellence for a better part of the 1900's, it's hard for me to appreciate and take pride in it when I wasn't alive to see any of it(not even the '88 NC).
Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Last edited by z Revis; 02-14-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #18
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by z Revis
I hold Super Bowls in a higher regard. Doesn't mean pre-merger doesn't count, though. Does any of this even matter anyways? The majority of us probably weren't even alive for most of the Packers and Steelers championships. It'd be like me bragging about Notre Dame having the most National Championships in football. No one gives a crap because it dates back to the 20's and we haven't won one since '88.

EDIT: I should clarify. I'm not saying history doesn't mean anything. You should definitely recognize what your team did in it's history, or even the sport in general. But.. going back to my Notre Dame example, while I recognize what they did and their excellence for a better part of the 1900's, it's hard for me to appreciate and take pride in it when I wasn't alive to see any of it(not even the '88 NC).
In other words, honor and acknowledge it... but don't use it as some way to prove your team is better than another. And that holds true for NFL championships, superbowls, playoff appearances, etc. If you're comparing teams, live in the now.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #19
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

So what is the difference between the Super Bowl and the NFL Championship? Not that it matters to me but it is something that I've always wondered what the difference was.

Another thing that had me confused a bit was when people started asking "Are the Packers A Dynasty?", which was strange to me because we've always been known as one of the Original Dynasties in the NFL and I was under the impression that once you won your 3rd Championship(which qualifies as a Dynasty under today's definition)then you automatically became known as one.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #20
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
In other words, honor and acknowledge it... but don't use it as some way to prove your team is better than another. And that holds true for NFL championships, superbowls, playoff appearances, etc. If you're comparing teams, live in the now.
Yeah but when you're comparing history and tradition you should count the whole thing.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)
Old 02-14-2011, 03:24 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Another thing that had me confused a bit was when people started asking "Are the Packers A Dynasty?", which was strange to me because we've always been known as one of the Original Dynasties in the NFL and I was under the impression that once you won your 3rd Championship(which qualifies as a Dynasty under today's definition)then you automatically became known as one.
Could've just said when Revis asked that.

I think I already cleared that up. I didn't count pre-Super Bowl.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #22
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Nah because it wasn't just you. There was a similar topic like this on the local Sports Talk Radio here and they had this as a topic on NFL Network and BSPN as well.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 47

I always wonder who is the best super bowl team. I mean the Steelers have been to 8, but won 6. That is not bad. The 49ers have been to 5 and won 5. Is that better or is going 6/8 better? Or if the Steelers would have won would 7/8 be better than 5/5?
Old 02-14-2011, 03:33 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Nah because it wasn't just you. There was a similar topic like this on the local Sports Talk Radio here and they had this as a topic on NFL Network and BSPN as well.
Ah ok. I definitely consider those Packers teams a dynasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
I always wonder who is the best super bowl team. I mean the Steelers have been to 8, but won 6. That is not bad. The 49ers have been to 5 and won 5. Is that better or is going 6/8 better? Or if the Steelers would have won would 7/8 be better than 5/5?
The Steelers have the edge just based on the fact that they have 1 more. But even if they had been to 7 and won 5, I still think that's better than 5 for 5. Super Bowl appearances count for something too IMO.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »