Home

Favre's disciples

This is a discussion on Favre's disciples within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #9
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Favre's disciples

Quote:
Didn't Favre himself say he had no interest in helping Aaron Rodgers?
Of course he wasn't going to pull Rodgers by the leash and help him with every single thing needed to be a successful QB. But it's also pretty naive to think that Favre didn't help with ANYTHING at all. I'm almost sure you've seen Rodgers play and it's almost impossible not to see some Favre-like tendancies in him.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying Favre is THE reason for what these QBs have gone to do for their careers(with the exception of Brooks), but I'm almost 99% certain if you were to ask each of those QBs if they learned anything or gotten help(either directly or indirectly)from him, they'd say yes. Including Mr. Rodgers, regardless of their beef going on right now.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #10
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Rodgers has admitted he studied Favre in practice and during games. You don't need to teach a person how to play the game by taking him under your wing, you can lead silently as well.

Don't forget we had T.J. Rubly as a backup too.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #11
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Of course he wasn't going to pull Rodgers by the leash and help him with every single thing needed to be a successful QB. But it's also pretty naive to think that Favre didn't help with ANYTHING at all. I'm almost sure you've seen Rodgers play and it's almost impossible not to see some Favre-like tendancies in him.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying Favre is THE reason for what these QBs have gone to do for their careers(with the exception of Brooks), but I'm almost 99% certain if you were to ask each of those QBs if they learned anything or gotten help(either directly or indirectly)from him, they'd say yes. Including Mr. Rodgers, regardless of their beef going on right now.
"help" is not the same as them being disciples. Coaching, scouting >>>>> Favre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #12
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

And the first time I ever heard someone ask Rodgers to talk about what he got from Favre and what he learned... well, he looked an awfully lot like a guy straining to find something polite to say. Now maybe there's an in-depth quote out there, but I've never heard him lean on anything but that good ole standby of "I learned a lot watching him in practice."

No one ever called Steve Young a disciple of Montana. It was Walsh and the 49er organization, and rightfully so, that got the credit.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:27 PM   #13
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
"help" is not the same as them being disciples. Coaching, scouting >>>>> Favre
Never said it was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Rodgers has admitted he studied Favre in practice and during games. You don't need to teach a person how to play the game by taking him under your wing, you can lead silently as well.

Don't forget we had T.J. Rubly as a backup too.
THIS was my point.

And to say Favre didn't help at all, then yea that's being naive to the whole thing.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_24
Why do you think so many players went on to have successful careers after playing after Brett Favre? Was it Favre himself or was it more with good scouts. Also why doesnt players like Peyton Manning have backups that go on to have successful careers.
Manning doesn't because they don't draft QBs and Manning demands to have a certain type of QB who basically is a A/V tech who can read a defense and put together video for Manning. The backup doesn't need to be able to throw the ball.

Green Bay knew that any moment they would need a QA for the rest of the year so they had to draft and try to develop the backups.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:24 AM   #15
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_24
Why do you think so many players went on to have successful careers after playing after Brett Favre? Was it Favre himself or was it more with good scouts. Also why doesnt players like Peyton Manning have backups that go on to have successful careers.
I think that says something about the organizations and their ability to scout talent.

Also keep in mind where the guys that backed up or played after Favre were drafted and where Manning's backups were drafted.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2011, 02:36 AM   #16
Hard Times.

Bellsprout's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
(Can we get rid of this stupid 10 character thing or at least shorten it to 5? LOL)
No.
A lot of you guys seem pretty cool, but you have wieners.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »