Home

Ravens OL Michael Oher To Todd McShay: "Your A Joke!!"

This is a discussion on Ravens OL Michael Oher To Todd McShay: "Your A Joke!!" within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-03-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36
Ravens OL Michael Oher To Todd McShay: "Your A Joke!!"

Quote:
“Character” is an all encompassing word used around this time of year to describe NFL prospects. Some teams put an emphasis on “high character” guys, while “character concerns” knock others down the board.
From an athlete’s perspective, we can see how it sounds harsh or unfair. Saying someone has poor character is more than saying he made a bad decision; it’s attacking who he is as a man.
Michael Oher of the Ravens is now just an observer to the NFL Draft process, but he doesn’t feel character tags are fair.
“Ok im so tired of the Character issues they are puttiing on ppl!” Oher tweeted Tuesday. “What Character issues?!? Somebody tell me? . . . I never got in trouble with the Law . . . yes sir no sir guy . . . But this Todd Mcshay guy acts if he knows ppl on a personal level get real!”
Percy Harvin chimed in during all this and noted that he was tagged with the character issue as well. At that point, Oher realized McShay was on Twitter and started addressing him directly:
“What if someone was to talk about your son . . . and he had character issues!! Thats how my family felt. You need to meet ppl first and then judge them not go off what you hear!! . . . And I respect Mel Kiper way more then I respect you…your a joke!!” Oher wrote at McShay.
If Oher made these comments while he was a draft prospect, folks would probably knock him for immaturity. We like that he’s sticking up for himself and future “character” tag kids that get painted with an overly broad brush.
McShay, who isn’t overly active on Twitter, has yet to respond.
Thoughts on it?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Ravens OL Michael Oher To Todd McShay: "Your A Joke!!"

I kinda agree. Players are easily given character tags quickly. You have to have a one-on-one with the prospects, speak to the coaches or family before you judge them for a mistake or wrong choice of words
Old 05-03-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 55

I agree with Oher to a certain extent, but his comments would have looked a hell of a lot better if he had used proper spelling, grammar and punctuation. I suppose I'm just a stickler for proper grammar when trying make a point.

Last edited by 55; 05-04-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:00 PM   #4
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

I can certainly understand Oher's feelings. I would hate to be judged by someone who has never met me particualry if it effect my getting a job or a salary that I think I'm worth.

That said, there is a reason that teams label guys as "Character concerns". Investing a large sum of money into someone who may or may not be prepared to handle it is a risky proposition. I fully support and understand Oher's point, but as they say in The Wire, "The game is the game." This type of think isn't going anywhere.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 05-03-2011, 11:03 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55
I agree with Oher to a certain extent, but his comments would have looked a hell of a lot better if he had used proper spelling, grammar and punctuation. I'm suppose I'm just a stickler for proper grammar when trying make a point.
I think part of that thought was the limited number of characters on Twitter.

I agree with him though, about the character stuff
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42

I agree with Oher to the fullest. McShay is always tossing that character stuff around and hurting guys draft stock without even really knowing them.. I do like how Kiper handles the draft process.. He respects players alot more then McShay. This might make McShay tone down a little bit on labeling guys like that for future drafts especially if more guys start calling him out on this issue.

Last edited by Jarodd21; 05-03-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

Yeah, McShay and all media people should do homework before labeling people that way. You dont know me so how do you know anything about my character.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:10 AM   #8
MVP

sniperhare's Arena

OVR: 10

I doubt anything an analyst says actually affects GM's. They do their own research.

I thought the main character issues with Oher was everyone thought he could have a severe learning disability and not be able to adjust to the NFL.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »